Sponsored

Engine Whine on FM V8

s550mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT MY17
Hi all,

My engine has developed a whine and short of pulling the engine apart Ford cant work out what's causing it.

I can confirm its not the AC pump, Water Pump or Alternator as i have had both aux belts off.

Ford techs have had a stethoscope on the engine and can confirm its coming from the engine, but their next step is to start pulling the engine apart. $$$$

Modifications wise all the engine has is a Herrod Performance oil cooler, Ford Performance oil separator and Mishimoto intake hose (sound tube delete).

Latest service was less than 200Km ago and oil wise is running Shell Helix Ultra 5w40.

The noise is most noticeable in the video at 2500rpm and reducing.

Has anyone had any similar issues? or ideas what it could be?
Sponsored

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
I hear it but do not know what it is. Since you checked water pump, compressor and alternator I am at a loss. You mentioned FM does it come through the speakers?

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Doesn't sound engine ie piston/crank related but does sound like a rotational 'something'. You've had the other bits eg alt disconnected, did they check the oil pump? You could fill it with 10W and run it briefly, if it makes a difference there's a clue.

Did it start around the time the cooler was fitted? I'm wondering if the oil pump is sucking air and cavitating. Maybe check oil level after the service jic.

Also did they see if the trans is making the noise? Probably worth a look as the noise has a bearing or pump-like nature.

Unless you know and trust the dealership tech it could be risky letting them go further, and even then protect your wallet under a strict diagnostic fee arrangement. Dealership techs are now usually quite unskilled when it comes to diagnosing something if the computer doesn't simply tell them what to replace or the problem isn't obvious with basic physical checks. When they're stumped they sometimes suggest tearing the engine to pieces in the hope that 1. you'll get scared and disappear or 2. you'll agree to let them play Pin the Tail on the Donkey at your expense.

Since you're in Melb it might be worth going to one of the aftermarket players as they generally - but not always - have a better idea of 'how stuff works'. Trying another dealer might also be an option as the Coyote is pretty bulletproof so the knowledge of faults can be limited.

The Search button can yield results if you haven't tried already.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
s550mustang

s550mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT MY17
I hear it but do not know what it is. Since you checked water pump, compressor and alternator I am at a loss. You mentioned FM does it come through the speakers?
Thanks for the reply. FM is 2015 - 2017 Mustang. FN is 2018+

Yeah im scratching my head with this one too. Im tempted top try some kind of oil additive to see if that could help.

As above its currently running Shell 5w40, previously i was using Casterol 5w30.

Doesn't sound engine ie piston/crank related but does sound like a rotational 'something'. You've had the other bits eg alt disconnected, did they check the oil pump? You could fill it with 10W and run it briefly, if it makes a difference there's a clue.

Did it start around the time the cooler was fitted? I'm wondering if the oil pump is sucking air and cavitating. Maybe check oil level after the service jic.

Also did they see if the trans is making the noise? Probably worth a look as the noise has a bearing or pump-like nature.

Unless you know and trust the dealership tech it could be risky letting them go further, and even then protect your wallet under a strict diagnostic fee arrangement. Dealership techs are now usually quite unskilled when it comes to diagnosing something if the computer doesn't simply tell them what to replace or the problem isn't obvious with basic physical checks. When they're stumped they sometimes suggest tearing the engine to pieces in the hope that 1. you'll get scared and disappear or 2. you'll agree to let them play Pin the Tail on the Donkey at your expense.

Since you're in Melb it might be worth going to one of the aftermarket players as they generally - but not always - have a better idea of 'how stuff works'. Trying another dealer might also be an option as the Coyote is pretty bulletproof so the knowledge of faults can be limited.

The Search button can yield results if you haven't tried already.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah its not transmission related as it does it regarless of if its gear or not or whether the clutch is depressed or not.

Yeah Ford Sunbury are great but they mainly deal in Rangers. Herrod dont want to help and keep sned me to the dealers. Any other suggestions? Mustang Motorsport? Tickford?

Yeah only started post the oil cooler but once again Herrod soon dismissed that.

Id want agree with the oil pump noise, oil level is fine. Thoughts on testing an oil additive like Liquid Moly Cera Tec?

Really apprecite the adivce!

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Herrod don't want to help eh? Lovely. Being dismissive when it started after the cooler was fitted is interesting, maybe call and ask to talk to one of the seniors there or follow up with an email. It'd take 15 minutes for them to check and IMHO if they fob you off again they deserve a call from Fair Trading.

Can't really advise on the others sorry as I'm not in Melb but Mustang Motorsport seem helpful.

Ceratec might show something up but I'd still try a heavier weight oil for something like this. Unlikely to hurt anything and would be a quick pointer to the cooler/pump if it makes a difference.

Interesting that it's there all the time, if the exhaust noise was non existent it might be equally noticeable at higher revs.

Did the dealer rule out the oil pump? Did they use electronic ears or just a stethoscope? It's got to be louder in one place than others.

Sponsored

OP
OP
s550mustang

s550mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT MY17
Quick update, I spoke to Herrod again this morning and they assured me that they had fit 100s of oil coolers to mustangs and had no issues. I asked if that if I choose to go down the route of starting pulling the engine apart would they do it instead of a ford dealer, short answer was no.

Fast forward to this afternoon, I purchased myself a stethoscope from Repco to see if I could do better. Herrods initial diagnosis was the noise coming from the gearbox in 3rd gear and Fords diagnosis Confirmed if was coming from the engine. I sat the wife in the car to hold the rpm at 2500, I started to test different areas of the engine and couldnā€™t hear the whine, I managed to reach down the the new oil cooler hoses and bingo, as clear as day I could hear the whine.

Iā€™ve just emailed Herrod telling them Iā€™ll be there tomorrow morning to show them.

Ill let you know what they say this time.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Quick update, I spoke to Herrod again this morning and they assured me that they had fit 100s of oil coolers to mustangs and had no issues. I asked if that if I choose to go down the route of starting pulling the engine apart would they do it instead of a ford dealer, short answer was no.

Fast forward to this afternoon, I purchased myself a stethoscope from Repco to see if I could do better. Herrods initial diagnosis was the noise coming from the gearbox in 3rd gear and Fords diagnosis Confirmed if was coming from the engine. I sat the wife in the car to hold the rpm at 2500, I started to test different areas of the engine and couldnā€™t hear the whine, I managed to reach down the the new oil cooler hoses and bingo, as clear as day I could hear the whine.

Iā€™ve just emailed Herrod telling them Iā€™ll be there tomorrow morning to show them.

Ill let you know what they say this time.
aye that old chestnut. Customer service isn't about boasting of the hundreds of happy customers you got it right on (you get paid to do the job right!), customer service is what you do when it goes wrong with the one. Hope you get it sorted
like.gif

OP
OP
s550mustang

s550mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT MY17
UPDATE
I went to Herrod this morning and Rob Herrod took my car for a test drive, confirmed he could hear the noise and next steps is from them to confirm if it is the oil cooler kit by refitting a factory unit and testing to see if the noise is eliminated.

Great bloke and has instantly made me feel confident they will support me with this issue.

Will keep you all posted.

-Armoured-

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wolfgang
Vehicle(s)
Mazda RX7
Sounds like a supercharger lol. Maybe they did you a solid without you knowing. šŸ˜‚

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
LOL initially crossed my mind that @s550mustang could be stitching us up. I nearly posted 'Does car exhibit unusually brisk acceleration and severe increase in rear tyre wear? Check for black box on top of engine or post photos' but realised it was serious.

Although...you could be right maybe they're keen to get it back because they mixed orders and want to remove the blower. Although it seems @s550mustang would know if that were the case and wouldn't be taking it back :rockon::sunglasses:

OP
OP
s550mustang

s550mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT MY17
LOL initially crossed my mind that @s550mustang could be stitching us up. I nearly posted 'Does car exhibit unusually brisk acceleration and severe increase in rear tyre wear? Check for black box on top of engine or post photos' but realised it was serious.

Although...you could be right maybe they're keen to get it back because they mixed orders and want to remove the blower. Although it seems @s550mustang would know if that were the case and wouldn't be taking it back :rockon::sunglasses:
Haha love it. unfortunately the bank balance doesnt stretch that far.

OP
OP
s550mustang

s550mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT MY17
UPDATE

I dropped her in yesterday for Herrod to temporally removed their system and fit the factory unit.

I'm both pleased and disappointed to say that with the factory unit refit, the noise has gone! Its taken 6 weeks of not using her, 3 trips to Herrod (with one more to pick her up) and a trip to Ford Dealer totaling 500+ km to get this resolved.

The diagnosis is the pressure valve in the unit could be faulty causing the whine.

Unfortunately Herrod don't want to look into resolving the issue and are going to remove their unit, fit the factory unit and refund me.

Im now looking at the Harrop unit, anyone fitted this unit?

https://www.harrop.com.au/shop/engine-oil-cooler-ford-mustang-gt

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
the pressure valve in the unit could be faulty
Hmmm as you say good and bad news. IMHO on balance it's good as it means no more easter egg hunt and there appears to be no issue with the car. Interesting diagnosis though, an oil cooler shouldn't have a pressure valve AFAIK. Are they sure it's not the flux capacitor?

Unfortunately Herrod don't want to look into resolving the issue and are going to remove their unit, fit the factory unit and refund me.
They probably have no idea when they'll get to it or do anything with it, at least it's a final resolution. Would be interesting to know what brand parts they're using.

Im now looking at the Harrop unit, anyone fitted this unit?
Many Harrops fitted. No problems reported AFAIK, there was an issue with routing hoses in some cases but Harrop released a TSB of sorts, seemed to be more a problem with workshops not thinking clearly. Maybe ask Herrod to fit it :giggle:
Sponsored