Sponsored

Engine Durability with S/C

ShelbyGT350

Shelby GT350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 351C Shaker
To those owners with Whipple or KB superchargers (Phase 1 - 750HP), at that power level, and moderate boost (not more than about 8 psi), are you concerned at all with the durability of the engine with cast aluminum pistons and powdered metal/sinter forged connecting rods as opposed to fully forged pistons and connecting rods such as on Ford's Aluminator SC engines, and if so, to what extent? Likewise on durability of the transmission, differential and rear suspension and brakes? Eventually I do want to add a power adder, but not blow-up my engine or drivetrain the process. I am not a drag racer, but periodically participate in HPDE's. Thanks.
Sponsored

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT PP, 2022 F350
To those owners with Whipple or KB superchargers (Phase 1 - 750HP), at that power level, and moderate boost (not more than about 8 psi), are you concerned at all with the durability of the engine with cast aluminum pistons and powdered metal/sinter forged connecting rods as opposed to fully forged pistons and connecting rods such as on Ford's Aluminator SC engines, and if so, to what extent? Likewise on durability of the transmission, differential and rear suspension and brakes? Eventually I do want to add a power adder, but not blow-up my engine or drivetrain the process. I am not a drag racer, but periodically participate in HPDE's. Thanks.
Is this for a gt or 350? Auto or standard? I damaged my motor last weekend pushing 18psi to 8K on e85. If you only plan to push 8psi, I would not worry about damaging the motor one bit. With good 93 the limit looks to be around 12psi before you get into the danger zone.

If you do decide to build I would go straight to a Sleeved block. As i'm sure you have already read, you will need good tires, half shafts, clutch (if MT) to safely push 750+ hard.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Making 650 on my street tune and 700-720 on my e85 tune. Not too worried. These little motors can take a beating if you keep the tune good and don't flog it. Plenty of them living at upper 700s to low 800s. I've had mine on for 8k miles no issues!

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
8psi on a blower is about 600whp. You're fine if you have 91 or 93

I do suggest the oil pump gear and cam gears.

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
The durability of everything will be less. By how much, who knows, but be ready. As for the engine there are lots of threads. To sum it up, do oil pump gear and crank gear. The rods and pistons are as strong as the stock sleeves. If not doing sleeves just leave the motor stock.

Sponsored

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I will say the engine will outlast the drivetrain if you have sticky tires lol

nicktechla

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nicktwaddell.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot
the durability of your rear tires will be less for sure :headbang:

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
we feel pretty good about 650 on pump and 750 on e85 on these cars. they seem to be holding up well.

that said, there is always a chance of something dropping off when you are nearly doubling the factory output of an engine

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
OP, we talkin voodoo or coyote here?

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
I should be at 700whp on pump with the MAK inlet if it ever ships... not too worried, maybe I should be lol.

Sponsored

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
Yeah.... 3 clutches and 3 transmissions later...I would say that's very accurate..:cheers:
I have to say man your experience has led me away from even attempting to run the RXT that is sitting in my garage. I'm going to put that baby up for sale and pick up the RST or something similar. I've got the motor out of my Terminator now and am building it so I probably will never drag the S550 at this point.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Yeah.... 3 clutches and 3 transmissions later...I would say that's very accurate..:cheers:
Geeez lol I'm hoping an RST, carbon driveshaft and g force axles will save me from too many head aches!