El Wire Dash Lighting

OP
OP

Pony4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I wanted to run the el wire in the door panels. Actually had the passenger side door panel almost off but got stumped on trying to remove the cable housing from back of the panel. I probably could have done it but got to looking at the panel and what I would have to do to get it to work as far as running the wiring and el wire and gave up on that ideal.

Project for another day Im sure:D
Sponsored

nightmare702

Murdered Mustang #055
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
MMR#055. IG: @nightmares550
What type of driver comes with that ? Battery operated ?

Reason why I went with the one on eBay was it had the driver that plugs into the cigarette lighter, I just cut that part off.

And now it sets in....what did I buy...lol

Naw pretty sure it's just the wire, no driver. Figured I'd need a driver but if not I'll just splice it into the "purple" wire as stated by you.

OP
OP

Pony4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
And now it sets in....what did I buy...lol

Naw pretty sure it's just the wire, no driver. Figured I'd need a driver but if not I'll just splice it into the "purple" wire as stated by you.
You'll definitely need a driver to power the el wire. Wish it was that easy to just splice into the wire. :)

nightmare702

Murdered Mustang #055
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
MMR#055. IG: @nightmares550
Then a driver I shall be buying. I just don't know what's a good size then

dalerh13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Hmm. 2mm wire. Wonder if you can stuff this around the circumference of the mustang in the grill? Would need wire without the fin, and some good, clear glue...
I got some EL wire on Amazon, stripped off the top coating, and just shoved it in the grill pony. Looks pretty sweet if you ask me
1463600062.unnamed.jpg

Sponsored

lucasszy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT - 6MT
Wife wanted lighting across the dash on her Mustang.

I ended up using el wire the type that can be sewed into fabric I used this because you can stuff/wedge it in between the dash parts, got every thing off of eBay. Links below in another post.

El wire got here from China in about 10 days. The connectors had to wait about a month to get from China :doh:

Wanted to go all the way across the dash but the way how the dash is designed made it to difficult, ended up with what is pictured.

Ended up by having four different lights for what is pictured all made from the single el wire I bought off of eBay. You'll have to solder the connectors onto the ends of the el wire was pretty simple to do just google it to see how it's done.

To terminate the el wire I used a hot melt glue and put a dab of glue on the ends. I pulled on the housing a little so the actually wire inside got pulled back into the housing and glued inside of the housing were the el wire once was.

Came out decent looking. Wife loves it :clap2:

Forgot to add the lighting only comes on when the head light switch is set to automatic so the lighting only comes on when the lighting sensor senses that it's dark.
What cupholder illumination solution is that? Standard FORD cupholder or something custom?

It looks great!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I got some EL wire on Amazon, stripped off the top coating, and just shoved it in the grill pony. Looks pretty sweet if you ask me
I was thinking about that but was not sure how it would look around the legs - you did a good job!

What does the wiring look like behind the grill from the horse when hood is open? Which route did you go to run it and how did you secure it or tap it in for power?

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
How didja glue it? (Or what glue)

Looks OK in daylight?

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
did u do the doors?

OP
OP

Pony4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
did u do the doors?
I looked into it again ended up not doing it. Ran into a problem on being able to run the wire from the door to the inside of the car to power the EL wire.

I thought I could just run the wire from the door into the car by using the rubber boot between the cars body and the door but can't there is a actual wiring harness plug in the body of the car, the boot covers it. :(

Another thought would be is to buy two more drivers and connect to a power source in the door. Have to be some thing that is controlled by the lighting so it only comes on at night.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Pony4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
What cupholder illumination solution is that? Standard FORD cupholder or something custom?

It looks great!

Thank you.

It's just a Flush Mount LED Bolt I got from Omnium.com I mounted it in the cup holder on the drivers side that way I wasn't able to view the actual LED housing from sitting in the drivers seat.

Sorry about the late reply some reason I'm not getting Notifications thru email when some one replies in any of the threads I subscribe to, it is turned on.

OP
OP

Pony4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6

I like it, looks good. Nice Job

OP
OP

Pony4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
dalerh13

We went to HB Ford looking at Mustangs for the wife. They only had one V6 in Charcoal in stock we ended up going to BP Ford.

Beef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 S550 GT
There has to be a wire in the door cause the switches illuminate.... This is a interesting project.... wish i had more time...