Sponsored

Ecoboost loses 13% power on 87 octane [Updated with Ford training materials]

kiwiford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Falcon 302, Mazda MPV V6
Just thought I'd mention that here in New Zealand, our BASE fuel is 91 octane, available everywhere. The other 3 brands have an available 95 octane. BP (where I work, doesn't have 95 at their top stations; they have ULTIMATE 98 Octane !!
Sponsored

Merle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Merle
Vehicle(s)
2014 RR V6
well, for what it's worth, you don't need to put the foot to the floor to enjoy the EB engine like you do the V6.

You really need to ring out the V6 -- it's two different style cars to drive. The V6 loves to be held until redline, and the EB is a low/mid range monster.

Plus, regardless of heatsoak, a tune on the EB will make you forget about the V6. That's the best $500 or so you could spend on the car. The numbers you get from a tuned Ecoboost would take a LOT more money to match on the V6.

Regarding the replacement cost... well, simply put, we just aren't there yet. I do know that vw 2.0 turbo's don't cost ANYWHERE near $3,000 to replace.

I think if you want a fun car to drive, you should go with the Ecoboost. It's going to respond fantastically to mods. N/A engines do get heatsoaked as well, don't forget that.
WELL my 2 cents.
You are in the Dallas area. I have been to Dallas in my 13 and 14 V6 five
times since August. I drive in convoy from Addison west to I35 and South
to Downtown staying on the Bumper of the Car I FOLLOW. I KNOW IF I
PASSED YOU WHEN I KICKED THE V6 TO CHANGE LANES YOU WOULD BE
THRILLED AT THE SOUND OF THAT V6 SCREAM AND THE SOUND OF THE
SWEET PIPES (STOCK) and THE RIGID STRUT TOWER BRACE MAKES THE
CAR GO FROM ONE LANE TO THE OTHER LIKE IT IS ON A RAIL! MY
DAUGHTER HAS A BAD BACK AND WHEN I KICK IT AND IT DOWNSHIFTS
SHE ALWAYS COMPLAINS OF WHIPLASH. (TRUE)! I AM 71 AND IT IS A
BLAST TO DRIVE THIS CAR. THE MOST FUN CAR OF THE 17 FORDS I HAVE
OWNED INCLUDING A NEW 97 COBRA 305HP THAT WAS SLOWER THAN
THIS CAR STOCK TO STOCK. GOOGLE THE PERFORMANCE TIMES STOCK.
THANK YOU FOR READING MY RANT. GOOD DAY.

ponyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic PP Ecoboost, 2013 Volvo XC60r-Design
Just thought I'd mention that here in New Zealand, our BASE fuel is 91 octane, available everywhere. The other 3 brands have an available 95 octane. BP (where I work, doesn't have 95 at their top stations; they have ULTIMATE 98 Octane !!
I'm moving to New Zealand. :headbang:

bislag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT w/PP
You guys use a different rating scale. Wikipedia sums it up nicely:

"In most countries, including Australia, New Zealand and all of those in Europe, the "headline" octane rating shown on the pump is the RON, but in Canada, the United States, Brazil, and some other countries, the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), and often written on pumps as (R+M)/2). It may also sometimes be called the Posted Octane Number (PON).

Because of the 8 to 12 octane number difference between RON and MON noted above, the AKI shown in Canada and the United States is 4 to 6 octane numbers lower than elsewhere in the world for the same fuel. This difference between RON and MON is known as the fuel's Sensitivity,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating#cite_note-vintagebonanza.com-4 and is not typically published for those countries that use the Anti-Knock Index labelling system."

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid & S550 Convertible
Well, well, well. Seems that those of us 3.7 V6 buyers that felt no love from the EB Community have suddenly piped down a bit, you think? Yeah, those of us that opted for the tried and true outdated and antiquated V6 won`t be seeing (any) drop in both HP or Torque using Regular 87 Octane Fuel. Guess thats the price one must pay to drive a "Rental Car". It appears, the 3.7 V6 or the 5.0 V8 were the right choices for most, after all. For us Convertible buyers, it was a no brainer. Base V6 Convertible with A/T and upgraded 051A Package (32K) while Premium EB 2.3 I4 Convertible with A/T (37K).

Sponsored

DanFish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT, 2015 Black Eco
Well, well, well. Seems that those of us 3.7 V6 buyers that felt no love from the EB Community have suddenly piped down a bit, you think? Yeah, those of us that opted for the tried and true outdated and antiquated V6 won`t be seeing (any) drop in both HP or Torque using Regular 87 Octane Fuel. Guess thats the price one must pay to drive a "Rental Car". It appears, the 3.7 V6 or the 5.0 V8 were the right choices for most, after all. For us Convertible buyers, it was a no brainer. Base V6 Convertible with A/T and upgraded 051A Package (32K) while Premium EB 2.3 I4 Convertible with A/T (37K).
I guess you can say it was a good choice if you aren't going to mod your car. I was set on getting a v6 but my mind was changed when I seen how much power the little turbo engine could make and it would take way more for the v6 to reach those levels. And who would put 87 in their sports car anyway? Not me only the best for my baby.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
What?! This isn't even "really" news. It's been advertised and known from the beginning. It's also not unusual for turbo cars. The only news here was the scan from the service manual with an exact number (which Ford even says isn't accurate, because it was based on preproduction numbers).

And the right choice for who "from the beginning," exactly? Surely not me or anyone else that bought an EB. If I were buying a convertible I'd gladly pay the extra 5K for the Turbo, premium interior, and other items that come with it. But, that'd be my choice.

(It also should be noted, even the GT sees a drop in TQ and and HP when using 87 gas. Also, long known.)

I understand your want to be glib, because of the comments directed toward the V6 (not from me, mind you), but it's a little misplaced in this case.

Runner12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future S550
Oh please, just be happy with what you drive and ignore what others have to say about your car, V6 or EB or GT. If you don't like it when others bash on it why come on here and do the same thing in return.

Jeffrey is right also. Losing power on 87 is no secret and should be no surprise. I hardly think that it means the EB is a bad choice for anyone.

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid & S550 Convertible
Who`s bashing? Us "Rental Car" buyers seldom if ever return any "shots". If that sounds "glib" so be it. Just glad that at least for the 15` MYR Ford has given buyers all (3) Engine choices. Cheers.

Sponsored

tg33316

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
r50 mini cooper HS auto x
For me ....the EB is not out of the question yet....IF ford offers a dealer upgrade tune that will produce 350-375 hp for under $600 and it remains under full factory warranty.....then it's a no brainer imo....ford should do it as a new model...mustang 350. It still bothers me to this day though on hot muggy days looking at the boost gauge and wondering why I'm not getting full boost while the car feels tired.

wireless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White Ecoboost Premium
Who`s bashing? Us "Rental Car" buyers seldom if ever return any "shots". If that sounds "glib" so be it. Just glad that at least for the 15` MYR Ford has given buyers all (3) Engine choices. Cheers.
lol...

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
As one of my crazy college professors once put it....."Horsepower gets you to the end of the straight.....Torque gets you up outta da hole!" True story....

I'm pretty sure nobody ordering a 2.3 is trying to break land speed records with it....from what we have ALL read, the engine runs out of steam after 5K. Gimme all that torque down low where I can use it everyday. 13% drop in HP? Big whoop. Throw a tune at it for a couple hundred and you won't be worried about it anymore.
:clap2:
Sponsored