Ecoboost Engine Blown?

fastertoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost, 2015 Mustang GT
Hey wilkinda65, it must be an Air Force thing, I am a Retired Armament troop and did a stint in EOD, now I work in Armament at Nellis AFB as a civilian. To answer Elapid question, yes our is an auto. it is a Premium non/PP. My new GT is not a Premium but has the PP and the only other option is the Recaros, I wanted to keep it light as possible.
Sponsored

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
You're right it has nothing to do with it.. I have heard conflicting ideas regarding the engine break in period, whether or not one should drove it like you stole it or drive it casually.

i was just referring to the piston rings seating/sealing correctly when the car was from factory.

I wish I was a mechanic so I can know more and learn how to fix engines, etc.. I'm just a hands on guy that will try to do as much as possible without going to a mechanic :confused:

So what do you think happened to Jason in your opinion?

Regardless, it's a sad situation and if my engine blew up with no warranty, I would be hella down about it.
Factory doesn't seat the rings in you do when you drive it. Only way factory could would be to dyno each engine. That would cost a lot which would raise cost of the car.

Never have babied engine new drive it. You even see car mag in there testing new car drive it nice no there beating the crap out of it. With diesel engine there's no break in not even after overhaul. Manual says to hook up to loaded trailer with in first 20 mins of running it. OR if you have chassis dyno load it there. I tell new semi truck owners get heavy load find biggest hill and work it hard in lugging it. Or it's going to take long time to break and use oil.

WHO is Jason?

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
I used to lug it in 6th gear alot until I permanently mounted my access port. The car normally shows 0 knock at silly speeds, but go heavy throttle in 4th - 6th below 3000 rpm and cyl 2 will show up to a 6 count of knock with 2 -4 on the other ones (LSPI. Just to be safe I now downshift if below 4000 rpm to boot it and rarely, if ever, even see a knock count of 1 for a short time (probably the engine logic searching for optimum timing).

I don't think the Auto Trans would be fast enough to stop a major LSPI event before it munches the motor on an aggressive tune.

While LSPI is a major problem for all GTDi engines (Not just Ford), it is a problem that is easily mitigated by some changes to your driving style.
Save your engines and down shift before booting it, even on an auto, you all have those awesome paddles!

Mine is also a fairly late build (June 2015) Which may explain why it survived my ignorance.

show7ime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang
So all these blown motors are from 2015 models? I have a 2016 so just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Why I wouldn't why waste the time and money. When they find it had been tuned
The cars owner would be responsible for paying the tear down costs if it wound up not being covered by the warranty. The company owes the customer that option. Just like what happened with the OP, the dealer and Ford did the best they could to see if it could be warrantied, but it wasn't so he paid the tear down costs.

Sponsored

thabrownieviking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Performance pack 6 speed
Mattrix (op) - No tune (had a tune, took it off), JMS boostmax, pedal max, MMR intake
Joe_Stang - Tune, MAP intercooler, Catless down pipes, MMR intake
Fastertoo - MMR intake

So I'm not sure if it's tune related or not :shrug:

But I will say this though, all three had a MMR CAI!! WTF:confused:?!
The MMR intake being a common link worries me just a tad bit...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I'll post details later, no time now. But here is my original number 3 piston and rod from before my build.

richard0ne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Factory doesn't seat the rings in you do when you drive it. Only way factory could would be to dyno each engine. That would cost a lot which would raise cost of the car.

Never have babied engine new drive it. You even see car mag in there testing new car drive it nice no there beating the crap out of it. With diesel engine there's no break in not even after overhaul. Manual says to hook up to loaded trailer with in first 20 mins of running it. OR if you have chassis dyno load it there. I tell new semi truck owners get heavy load find biggest hill and work it hard in lugging it. Or it's going to take long time to break and use oil.

WHO is Jason?
Got ya.. I'll keep that in thought. .

Sorry I meant Joe. . The guy with the tune that went back to stock.

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3L Ecoboost Mustang with PP
All these blown Ecoboost are starting the scare the shit outta me (LMS tuned over here). Time to trade in for a GT maybe? LOL

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
not really an issue unless you are modded/tuned.

Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
that does mean he's modded. and he was still covered under warranty so there was no sweat off his back.

as long as you can get away with not voiding your warranty you're fine. it will depend on how your dealer handles it.

edit: i see that you edited your post indicating you're tuned. good luck with it.

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would hardly consider a CAI "modded" but I guess that is just me. My main concern is simply the fact that engines are blowing on stock tunes. Having warranty or not, the fact that they blow is what worries me.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
yeah i understand, it would worry me too

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought into the whole ford ecoboost platform with their "forged" internals and whatnot as a tuner friendly platform. But it doesn't seem like this isn't how it is playing out....
Sponsored