Sponsored

Ecoboost Engine Blown?

kart3l

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Mustang Ecoboost PP
Why would you seriously modify the car this heavily when you don't have money in the bank for replacement parts if shit went bad?
Seriously? Give the man a break. Mr. Always right, are you the official financial forum adviser?

He just had his engine blown whether it was his fault or not.
Sponsored

BBB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium GT Poverty Snack
Seriously? Give the man a break. Mr. Always right, are you the official financial forum adviser?

That's what's wrong with our country now a days. Everyone wants a break, no one takes any ownership for anything anymore. If you play with fire you will get burned.

kart3l

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Mustang Ecoboost PP
That's what's wrong with our country now a days. Everyone wants a break, no one takes any ownership for anything anymore. If you play with fire you will get burned.
I don't disagree with you. It doesn't make sense to heavily MOD your car
and not take the necessary financial steps for when things go wrong. This is why I am not tuning my car when I owe close to $30K in loans.

Anyone reading this thread already came to this conclusion from page 1, and you reiterating this fact doesn't do anyone any good - especially to the OP, regardless of what his financial situation is. It is expensive to replace an engine, and anyone would be upset to shell out the cash to do it. But you don't just give up and add more on your loan. You try every avenue to seek out your rights, that's right - your rights.

Noone takes ownership for anything? Here is where I disagree with you on this.The reason this country is so great is because we have both the freedom and a set of laws in case of disagreements.We have due process, and one law would be the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. So why do you expect the OP to take ownership of this financial hit and not seek out his rights? I don't think anyone on this forum would "just take ownership" and pay out of pocket when things go wrong on their car - such as engine failures.

I guess I am just empathetic towards the OP and really wish him well. I am sure some of us really learned a lot from this thread and I applaud the OP for sharing his story.

Last edited:

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I have to disagree with you about people not owning up to things they do. I see it all the time with everything. Not my fault one of Hugh reason there's so many stupid law suits. Or how about all stupid warnings on everything because someone had sued.

Last edited:

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I don't disagree with you. It doesn't make sense to heavily MOD your car
and not take the necessary financial steps for when things go wrong. This is why I am not tuning my car when I owe close to $30K in loans.

Anyone reading this thread already came to this conclusion from page 1, and you reiterating this fact doesn't do anyone any good - especially to the OP, regardless of what his financial situation is. It is expensive to replace an engine, and anyone would be upset to shell out the cash to do it. But you don't just give up and add more on your loan. You try every avenue to seek out your rights, that's right - your rights.

Noone takes ownership for anything? Here is where I disagree with you on this.The reason this country is so great is because we have both the freedom and a set of laws in case of disagreements.We have due process, and one law would be the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. So why do you expect the OP to take ownership of this financial hit and not seek out his rights? I don't think anyone on this forum would "just take ownership" and pay out of pocket when things go wrong on their car - such as engine failures.

I guess I am just empathetic towards the OP and really wish him well. I am sure some of us really learned a lot from this thread and I applaud the OP for sharing his story.
The problem is it's one thing to say add a catback which 999,999 out of 1,000,000 will never cause an issue as it's simply not doing anything affecting any other system.

Once you start messing with timing and spark and putting a heavier psi strain on an already turbo charged car under high psi you risk blowing something. If you don't know that much and/or understand the risks then you have no business modding your car at all, period.

It's not very hard by simple logic to say the mods here very well could've cause this failure. The Act doesn't require them to prove it by all shadows of a doubt, just an inference or at least some connection. It's impossible is most cases to state with 100% certainty why something failed, even if you can find the exact point of failure.

There is way more connection here than solely a CAI (although maybe some albeit small) or even less/nearly none for solely catback. I just dont see the dealership/Ford reversing their decision here; there are too many mods that could've directly caused the extra stress on the motor for something to blow like this.

Sponsored

fastertoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost, 2015 Mustang GT
Update: Ford authorized teardown, spun rod bearing, under warranty, no hassle due to CAI, but said if it was tuned there would have been one
Ty

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Update: Ford authorized teardown, spun rod bearing, under warranty, no hassle due to CAI, but said if it was tuned there would have been one
Ty
Rod bearings normally spin due to either too high RPM, engine abuse whilst cold or low oil level or fuel dilution thinning the oil.

Seriously get rid of the JMS thing when the car is fixed, even though it may not of being the direct cause if it has being over-fuelling the car that would thin the oil and though I am sure you do, always always let the car fully warm before beating on it. :)

Chargersfan81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Race Red
Ty
Congratulations, glad it came out okay!

Did they say why it spun rod bearing? Did you have any symptoms prior to this at all?

What were you saying if there was a tune?

Chargersfan81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Race Red
Rod bearings normally spin due to either too high RPM, engine abuse whilst cold or low oil level or fuel dilution thinning the oil.

Seriously get rid of the JMS thing when the car is fixed, even though it may not of being the direct cause if it has being over-fuelling the car that would thin the oil and though I am sure you do, always always let the car fully warm before beating on it. :)
I think it was the OP that had the JMS boostmax. He just had a CAI.

I wonder if his oil level was low though and then revved it high to cause a spun bearing.

Ayabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GG GT Premium with PP

Sometimes it's hard to keep quiet when such poor decisions are being made.

1. Modding a car right after buying it, break-in is for suckers.

2. Modding a car with sketchy parts

3. Buying more car than you can afford, leading you to have no money for repairs.

Despite facing this situation....OP states, "but could save the money and wait until the end of summer when the 2017 GT350s come out and buy one of those"

Let that sink in, OP has no money for repairs to his current car but is going to buy a car that costs least twice as much as his current vehicle.

I mean come on.....:doh:

Sponsored

fastertoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost, 2015 Mustang GT
Money not issue, my lead foot is, I am 58 and we bought it for traveling. Not too old to enjoy power. Actually I bought it for my wife, I am going to trade my Tremor in on a base GT with the PP tonight.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
It's probably safe just with a CAI. I dont see how Ford can say merely a CAI caused a knock or failure. A few threads down it looks like Ford OKed a blown V6 with just a CAI (a Roush but I doubt brand matters)

The OP's mods are a lot more serious altering the ECU and mapping, and even worse, the car ECU will show a tune too even if removed months ago.
Did the OP actually run a flash tune or not ?

I thought he used a JMS piggyback in which the ECU sees only stock values, not altering anything. Piggys are invisible to the dealer once removed.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Actually I bought it for my wife, I am going to trade my Tremor in on a base GT with the PP tonight.
Good man. Best of both worlds! :cheers:

Ayabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GG GT Premium with PP
Money not issue, my lead foot is, I am 58 and we bought it for traveling. Not too old to enjoy power. Actually I bought it for my wife, I am going to trade my Tremor in on a base GT with the PP tonight.
Well it looks like them backing you up has turned into another sale, good for you man.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2.3
This threads on fire lol and why is there two "OPs"? One who toasted his motor and never came back and one that spun a bearing and got warrantied. Are you guy(s) two of the same? If so you got really lucky this time :cheers:.
Sponsored