Sponsored

Ecoboost Engine Blown?

ultimate warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
If the rods are bent or failed, and blown out the block and there is no evidence anywhere in the engine of lack of oiling then it was probably an over-boost situation. They should be able to tell if there was an oiling issue or not.

OP - they need to cut open the oil filter to inspect for metal debris also, which might help them determine if bearings were going south before it blew-up.
in my limited opinion, the camshaft bearing journals would be the #1 place to determine this. they should not have received the physical trauma that the bottom end did, yet still require oiling to the cam journals/caps.

this is just an opinion. i dont know at what rate the rod bearings would wear vs the camshaft bearings. If anyone has a better thought on this please chime in.

them shits should look like mirrors son.

check this site out as well. has some good information about oil starvation:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...essure-Survival-Guide-and-troubleshooting-DIY
Sponsored

fastertoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost, 2015 Mustang GT
Mattrix,

I just joined this forum looking for info on this exact problem. My 2015 EcoBoost Mustang with 5280 miles went away on the back of a tow truck Thursday night with a wicked knock coming from the center of the motor. The only mod was an MMR CAI, the vehicle has no other engine mods and has never been tuned. No oil on the ground and no codes and all instrument's reading normal. Any thoughts

richard0ne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Mattrix,

I just joined this forum looking for info on this exact problem. My 2015 EcoBoost Mustang with 5280 miles went away on the back of a tow truck Thursday night with a wicked knock coming from the center of the motor. The only mod was an MMR CAI, the vehicle has no other engine mods and has never been tuned. No oil on the ground and no codes and all instrument's reading normal. Any thoughts
Sorry to hear bro! So without any warnings you just heard a knock and your engine is toasted? If the dealer denied your warranty cause of a CAI I would go nuts, literally. You are pretty much stock and since our cars are MAP not MAF the CAI should nt not be the culprit. Regardless, you will have to wait to find out exactly happened. ..

Please update us and I think you will be okay in terns of the dealer fixing your car under warranty.

fastertoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost, 2015 Mustang GT
They are talking to Ford on Monday, I will know more then

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Mattrix,

To be safe should have took it home and remove CAI then tow it to dealership

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
It's probably safe just with a CAI. I dont see how Ford can say merely a CAI caused a knock or failure. A few threads down it looks like Ford OKed a blown V6 with just a CAI (a Roush but I doubt brand matters)

The OP's mods are a lot more serious altering the ECU and mapping, and even worse, the car ECU will show a tune too even if removed months ago.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
It's probably safe just with a CAI. I dont see how Ford can say merely a CAI caused a knock or failure. A few threads down it looks like Ford OKed a blown V6 with just a CAI (a Roush but I doubt brand matters)

The OP's mods are a lot more serious altering the ECU and mapping, and even worse, the car ECU will show a tune too even if removed months ago.
Nobody has proven that Ford can detect an unmarried Cobb AP on the ECU. The only people who got caught were people who thought flashing the stock simulation map (stage 0) was enough. I read somewhere that Cobb said they were not aware of any flash counter hard or software in the Ford ECU.

I will unmarry my Cobb for my next service and ask the dealer if they can check to see if my ecu has been flashed in the past. Since mine is a USDM, my story will be checking if they did an update before my delivery.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2.3
To OP

First off, that seriously sucks man and i can partially relate to your situation as my previous car was totaled by some monkey in a tow truck on its way to the dealership (no mods though). Thus here i am lol

I think the OP should take a different approach to this problem...

1. Get your car back in your garage, cut insurance.

2. Transit to work for the next month or two, cut expenses, say no to date nights (unless she want to pay):D etc.

3. Get a built block cams and a "real" tune this time :thumbsup:.

4. boost your way to a local ford branch office flying the finger... cause you just can't live it down even though you...:lol:.

But seriously, its nothing to loose sleep over.

Hope it works out for you.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
You are pretty much stock and since our cars are MAP not MAF the CAI shouldnt not be the culprit.
I think MAF sensor intake systems will adjust correctly for a CAI and/or exhaust system, but the MAP intake systems need an ECU remap to account for the increased air flow through the engine.

Not remapping the ECU on a MAP system for a freer flowing CIA and/or exhaust system will make the engine run a little lean, but probably not enough to cause any damage, just poor engine running.

ultimate warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
They are talking to Ford on Monday, I will know more then
Dude have it brought back to your house and switch your CAI back to stock.

Eat the cost on it. Hell have them drop it in a parking lot some place and call another company to come pick it back up and take it to the dealer.

Switch that shit out son.

These handful of horror stories are going to keep my motor stock for the first 15k or so. And that first 15k is going to be hard miles too.

Sponsored

richard0ne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I think MAF sensor intake systems will adjust correctly for a CAI and/or exhaust system, but the MAP intake systems need an ECU remap to account for the increased air flow through the engine.

Not remapping the ECU on a MAP system for a freer flowing CIA and/or exhaust system will make the engine run a little lean, but probably not enough to cause any damage, just poor engine running.
You for real? Hmm.. ALL the CAI out there mentioned that a tune is not needed and all the tuners out there as well.. CJ Pony Parts, Americam Muscle, MAP, MMR, the list goes on... and they all said a CAI or exhaust does not need a tune..

I'll double check with them again.. this is critical since it's the only mod he has.. too bad he didn't put it back to stock :tsk:

richard0ne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Dude have it brought back to your house and switch your CAI back to stock.

Eat the cost on it. Hell have them drop it in a parking lot some place and call another company to come pick it back up and take it to the dealer.

Switch that shit out son.

These handful of horror stories are going to keep my motor stock for the first 15k or so. And that first 15k is going to be hard miles too.
Are there really that many with engine probs?out of all the EB sold, I don't really hear too much about a mod free EB having blown motors. . Then again I don't work for Ford so what do I know :shrug:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
You for real? Hmm.. ALL the CAI out there mentioned that a tune is not needed and all the tuners out there as well.. CJ Pony Parts, Americam Muscle, MAP, MMR, the list goes on... and they all said a CAI or exhaust does not need a tune..

I'll double check with them again.. this is critical since it's the only mod he has.. too bad he didn't put it back to stock :tsk:
Read my post again. MAP uses fuel and spark maps in the ECU that are programmed for the VE (volumetric efficiency) of the engine. If you change the VE with an intake or exhaust then ideally the ECU should be remapped to get full HP potential gain.

MAF systems actually measured the true air flow going into the intake manifold, so if the intake or exhaust is opened up it will automatically compensate (within it's designed range) to adjust the fuel for the increased flow. Do some research on the 'net and you'll see what I'm talking about.

The reason the aftermarket guys say a tune isn't needed is because usually just opening up the intake of exhaust doesn't change it very much and if the engine runs a little lean it probably won't hurt it, but you're not getting full HP increase out of the mods unless you remap the ECU if it's a MAP control system.

BBB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium GT Poverty Snack
Why would you seriously modify the car this heavily when you don't have money in the bank for replacement parts if shit went bad?

Rough Hollow Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
Ouch

Why would you seriously modify the car this heavily when you don't have money in the bank for replacement parts if shit went bad?
Because LIFE is about learning HARD LESSONS:paddle: If I had all the money that I foolishly spent on BAD MODS for cars, boats, and women in my lifetime...I would be very wealthy indeed.:eyebulge: The OP will learn from this experience...everyone's been there.:frusty: I can only hope it's not too costly for him.:clap2:
Sponsored