Sponsored

ECOBOOM!

evan546

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I would build the motor. Gonna be around the same amount of money reuse your cyl head.
Sponsored

Keiferson22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT Premium
Adam has a great deal on a built long block, about 5k for a complete motor ready to drop in...

OP
OP

hmdballa219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 shadow black mustang GT
Only need top end. Bottom end is fine and capable of holding for me.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
OP
OP

hmdballa219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Motor is built on Cleveland. March 24th 2015

Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Interesting. My 2015 car (build date May 27, 2015) had a Valencia, Spain engine in it...my 2016 has a Cleveland block though :shrug:

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
So what exactly was the final diagnosis? Did you break a valve bucket or something? Sounds like you're only rebuilding the cylinder head...

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I guess you are the first confirmed Cleveland Engine to go tits up. If you can.let us know the diagnosis it would be much appreciated by many members.

OP
OP

hmdballa219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Wow that is pretty crazy this is the first Cleveland failure. Well I guess it isn't at all as bad as it seemed ....it's a camshaft bolt that is broken...it's the bolt that goes directly into the camshaft through the timing chain . just the driver side is broken. So I'm gonna get the new ford performance aftermarket ones and then just get a new bolt for it as well. I wanted aftermarket lifters and stuff too but there is no lot.

So broken camshaft bolt is the victim. Crazy process

Keiferson22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT Premium
Wow that is pretty crazy this is the first Cleveland failure. Well I guess it isn't at all as bad as it seemed ....it's a camshaft bolt that is broken...it's the bolt that goes directly into the camshaft through the timing chain . just the driver side is broken. So I'm gonna get the new ford performance aftermarket ones and then just get a new bolt for it as well. I wanted aftermarket lifters and stuff too but there is no lot.

From what I understand the ford performance cams are a waste of money and provide almost nothing measurable in the way of performance.

Sponsored
OP
OP

hmdballa219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
No they aren't but mine is shot because it has the bolt broken off in the cam. So might as well just drop the aftermarket ones in ...but yes I've heard waste of time.

DontoMelbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future EB Vert
No they aren't but mine is shot because it has the bolt broken off in the cam. So might as well just drop the aftermarket ones in ...but yes I've heard waste of time.
What about the Esslinger cams? FB page someone asked "What kind of gains can be expected for stock, or mildly bolt on, of FBO ecos?"
Reply was "So far, all testing has been done in built engines with larger turbos. Keep an eye on this page for an update with info on how our cams run on a stock turbo engine, and a stock longblock with upgraded turbo."

They said on the 4th the next batch would be ready in 3 weeks. Maybe you can work with them on characterizing the cams on a stock block setup!
https://www.facebook.com/EsslingerEngineering/posts/1224755004212715

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
The FP cams are generally considered to "not be worth it" because of the effort and time required for installation. While the cost of the cams themselves is cheap, labor rates are not. However, if you're gonna be in there anyways, I'd go ahead and upgrade them. They might only be worth 5-7 horsepower, but if it's stock replacements or these, why not go ahead and snatch up some more horsepower. If I was already going to be into it, I'd throw in the FP cams without a second thought.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
The FP cams are generally considered to "not be worth it" because of the effort and time required for installation. While the cost of the cams themselves is cheap, labor rates are not. However, if you're gonna be in there anyways, I'd go ahead and upgrade them. They might only be worth 5-7 horsepower, but if it's stock replacements or these, why not go ahead and snatch up some more horsepower. If I was already going to be into it, I'd throw in the FP cams without a second thought.
It also requires engine specific tools to get the job done...kinda like ripping into a VW :frusty:

Oh yeah, and you'll need a custom tune. The factory tune can't handle the FP cams. Might want to make sure your Cobb tune can handle the FP cam profile...otherwise you'll be talking to someone like Livernois Motorsports or Adam @ Tune+.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)

If nothing else got broken down the line, that's a pretty easy fix. Amazing that your stealership couldn't diagnose it. And fixing it in situ is a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing a frickin' engine...unless Ford just wants all "engine" failures cycling back through them for failure analysis :paddle:
Sponsored