Early first oil change

Case

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Atlas Blue GT MY23, Magneride, 10R80 30/05/23
So first oil change is scheduled at 15000kms for the GT. Being an old tech, anything over 10k for a new engine makes me nervous, so I decided to get oil and filter changed early. Dealer tried to convince me it was unnecessary so call me paranoid, but whatever. I was planning to do it at half distance, 7500kms but due to some unforeseen family issues, I have ended up having it done at 9230kms. I have had no mechanical issues but asked the dealer to keep the old filter so I could open it up for a look, just out of interest.

Very glad I did and thought it might be of interest to others to share what I found, which is as follows:
  • Flecks of metal. I ran a magnet over them and they appear to be alloy. They are more like shavings from machining rather than bearing material. I am guessing they are from the block machining process.
  • Flecks of blue paint. Looks like the old Ford blue that they used to paint their blocks. No idea where this would come from.
  • Torn internal seal in the factory fitted oil filter.
There is not ton of material so I dont want to exaggerate the issue, and the torn seal could never have gotten through the oil filter which has done its job, but none of this is stuff I want floating around my engine.

For what ist worth, if you have a new S550, I strongly recommend you get the first oil and filter changed early.

This may have been discussed before, but thought some might find it helpful.

IMG_4444.JPG

IMG_4443.JPG

IMG_4442.JPG
Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Every new Ford I have bought for the last 20 years has been the same story. The dealer almost refuses to change the oil earlier than the 15,000 km first service, saying that Ford don't recommend it because the car has "running-in" oil in it. When I insist, they then say that I will need to pay for it because the "complimentary" 1500- km service does not include an oil change. Well der! I certainly don't expect them to work for free, so what's the problem, I've asked for an oil change and I'm prepared to pay for it, so just do the job.

It's funny, I think we've all had the service advisor call and recommend some pointless add on sale like a blinker fluid change or wiper blade service, but when it comes to someone requesting an oil change and willing to pay for it, they don't want to know about it.

I've changed the oil on every new car I have owned at the 1500 km inspection and have never had a problem doing so.

Keeffa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
keith
Vehicle(s)
ford mustang 2018 gt
I think 15k is too long between oil changes anyway. I'd recommend doing the first at 1500. I would not use the Ford oil filter. The filters internals looks a bit cheap. I'm in Australia and I've found Ryco syntec to be the best but shop around for price.
Same with oil I use Penrite.

Keeffa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
keith
Vehicle(s)
ford mustang 2018 gt
Same with auto trans, Change fluid at around 50k klm. Used ford filter no other option. Motorcraft fluid also. No option in Australia.

Sponsored

Brisvegas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Dark Matter Grey '23 GT Mustang , 1976 SS Torana
I think 15k is too long between oil changes anyway. I'd recommend doing the first at 1500. I would not use the Ford oil filter. The filters internals looks a bit cheap. I'm in Australia and I've found Ryco syntec to be the best but shop around for price.
Same with oil I use Penrite.
Thanks for heads up and yeah always use Ryco . Cheap filters on Ebay fwiw , just ordered 5 . I will do oil changes every 5000km . When a great deal comes up i buy enough oil to do 4 services , usually couple times a year you get get 50% of deals at one of the major auto retailers .

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/165564599868?hash=item268c6b4e3c:g:x5MAAOSwpuZjtIEZ&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA4ObHB5md4OdUXj7IHAxVrL4mz3DdylLe0/QlKLE3Yb+gTVfoFYTN50tYDy00XoZ/deFGTOFdrhkYVeUZY1A7/uayw25p8BtGSxm1IfoZ5qVByyEUJdTqW0rlBYGity6MMjUWC/icVQ5GVrrTiZSJx8Gy9aaNXT4sKs/fpoaE/Dw2kBokd5H7bms7CXVFsPjgbY8nRvpPB+6zR/NcKLfuAGchqjXvkYneBZx/dNzErG1LUDCw5QN+uwPxk2amh/b9BDVe5mKLUTnsGW/fCrrxNem7BVOKUrTTOxCYCzxsExs0|tkp:Bk9SR9Lm7NX8Yg

Edit : Also as @Case above states cutting open the oil filter is a great idea as well for a headsup . I will go as far as getting oil tests done every 10,000 km until factory warrenty expires

Keeffa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
keith
Vehicle(s)
ford mustang 2018 gt
Thanks for heads up and yeah always use Ryco . Cheap filters on Ebay fwiw , just ordered 5 . I will do oil changes every 5000km . When a great deal comes up i buy enough oil to do 4 services , usually couple times a year you get get 50% of deals at one of the major auto retailers .

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/165564599868?hash=item268c6b4e3c:g:x5MAAOSwpuZjtIEZ&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA4ObHB5md4OdUXj7IHAxVrL4mz3DdylLe0/QlKLE3Yb+gTVfoFYTN50tYDy00XoZ/deFGTOFdrhkYVeUZY1A7/uayw25p8BtGSxm1IfoZ5qVByyEUJdTqW0rlBYGity6MMjUWC/icVQ5GVrrTiZSJx8Gy9aaNXT4sKs/fpoaE/Dw2kBokd5H7bms7CXVFsPjgbY8nRvpPB+6zR/NcKLfuAGchqjXvkYneBZx/dNzErG1LUDCw5QN+uwPxk2amh/b9BDVe5mKLUTnsGW/fCrrxNem7BVOKUrTTOxCYCzxsExs0|tkp:Bk9SR9Lm7NX8Yg

Edit : Also as @Case above states cutting open the oil filter is a great idea as well for a headsup . I will go as far as getting oil tests done every 10,000 km until factory warrenty expires
Yeah Sparesbox, that's usually where I get mine.
Sponsored