Sponsored

Drive home with splitter off???

84venom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 2016 GT350 TP DIB w/White Stripes
I plan to drive my 350 home from the dealer, about a 900 mile trip. Would like to drive it home with the front splitter off so I can install it myself. Any thoughts on potential aero issues driving highway speeds with no splitter? Can air get under other aero components/wind trays and cause problems?
Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Dude, absolutely no issues on public roads & highways.... when I picked mine up in Delaware last Nov. I drove 200+ miles throughout DE and PA without the splitter on.

Installation of the splitter is not that difficult but just very time-consuming. There are written instructions in the splitter box and an online video available.

OP
OP
84venom

84venom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80, 90, even a short burst to 100 is possible ;-)
Still ok?

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
80, 90, even a short burst to 100 is possible ;-)
Still ok?
Yes, yes, yes.... no worries. Plus it's not like you'll be doing 100+ mph for a sustained period of time. You'll be fine. Enjoy and be safe! :thumbsup:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Cars drive all the time around without any splitters, so it's not a necessary item for the car to work.

Yes Ford designed the splitter for the car, but to improve performance over the bumper without it...but it's not an integral part of the actual car.

Sponsored

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Let the dealer do the install. That way if something messes up its on them

Just keep a vigilant eye as you drive and take the freeway. As a disclaimer I live in CA and enjoy pretty well kept roads

Mustang Marcus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Corolla 2016GT350 Magnetic Blue Stripe
I drove my 200+ miles from SC to Atlanta GA and was thinking the same thing.
I let the dealer install it because if there were problems I wanted them to take care of it.

350Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CY GT350 Track
Had mine put on and drove 1400. It's a car not a piece of glass. Relax and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
84venom

84venom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars drive all the time around without any splitters, so it's not a necessary item for the car to work.

Yes Ford designed the splitter for the car, but to improve performance over the bumper without it...but it's not an integral part of the actual car.
Well, the Shelby isn't just a typical mustang with a splitter added on. There are all kinds of additinal aero bits on this car. My concern was that there may be an additional undertray/belly pan that ties in with the splitter. If that were the case, and the splitter was not installed, the undertray may catch the air and rip itself off.

Looks like others have driven without it, so I should be ok. Thanks.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Well, the Shelby isn't just a typical mustang with a splitter added on. There are all kinds of additinal aero bits on this car. My concern was that there may be an additional undertray/belly pan that ties in with the splitter. If that were the case, and the splitter was not installed, the undertray may catch the air and rip itself off.

Looks like others have driven without it, so I should be ok. Thanks.
You will be fine doing 70-80.

Sponsored

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
make the dealer install it. I understand it's a new car and you wanting to do as much as possible.

But jeez. Let the dealer do what they are supposed to do.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
That's true... if you're driving it home just have the dealer install the splitter. If you're having it trailered and unsure about the clearance then that's a different story.

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
You should probably get used to the fact that, at some point, you're going to rub it (as opposed to impacting) on something. I didn't make it through my 300 mile journey home without doing so. I was in San Juan Capistrano and had stopped to take a pee break and rubbed it coming through an intersection that had a slight drainage channel in it. Unless you live in a state and town with perfect roads and transitions, you're going to rub it at some point, IMHO. My plan is to keep a spare on hand.

On another note, can someone take a close up picture of the top their splitter where it goes in to the tabs on the facia? I have a slight gap there and want to make sure the dealer installed it correctly. Thanks.

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Mustang
I still haven't had mine installed, at 1,700 miles. I'll have it done soon with the oil change.
Sponsored