Results are only viewable after voting.

ethonlee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2020
So right now I have a 2020 mustang GT with mbrp race exhaust, tinted windows, changed all wheels and some other minor things. This car is great and I love it but I am 24 and will probably not have a roommate for my next lease, so I will have to get an apartment without a roommate so I will be spending more money. I was wondering if I were to downgrade from a mustang GT what are some car options I could look at that still can be fun and have aftermarket options and is below the price of $26,500 (ish). I can keep my mustang GT but will probably be strained for money but I also ask you guys if I should keep it or go with a more affordable car. I have already looked at refinancing options as well and none were worth it.

A car that pops into my mind is a used 2016 Hyundai genesis coupe 3.8
Sponsored

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
So right now I have a 2020 mustang GT with mbrp race exhaust, tinted windows, changed all wheels and some other minor things. This car is great and I love it but I am 24 and will probably not have a roommate for my next lease, so I will have to get an apartment without a roommate so I will be spending more money. I was wondering if I were to downgrade from a mustang GT what are some car options I could look at that still can be fun and have aftermarket options and is below the price of $26,500 (ish). I can keep my mustang GT but will probably be strained for money but I also ask you guys if I should keep it or go with a more affordable car. I have already looked at refinancing options as well and none were worth it.

A car that pops into my mind is a used 2016 Hyundai genesis coupe 3.8
Just buy a low mileage gt.i have a 2019 gt premium vert auto and love it a I see the coupes are in your price range.id steer away from any non stock car unless you know the owner

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I vote sell. Trust me, it sucks dick having almost no money because your car is eating up all of it.

The move here is to sell it, and pick up a clean 05-09 Mustang GT. They're far more affordable. Slow, but still very fun to drive. And there's tons of mods you can do to keep you busy.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I vote sell. Trust me, it sucks dick having almost no money because your car is eating up all of it.

The move here is to sell it, and pick up a clean 05-09 Mustang GT. They're far more affordable. Slow, but still very fun to drive. And there's tons of mods you can do to keep you busy.
Agreed, I miss my mustang but after selling it. Yeah I donā€™t have a stang, but financial freedom to do other things > mustang

Sponsored

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
ONLY sell if:

1. You 100% financially need to.
2. If you can find a car that you love almost as much.

An apartment lease is only temporary. Things can change for better or worse in 6 months or a year. Question is, do you think you can find someone to move in in a year or so from now? Or finances improving in that time?

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Performance Package
OP, I agree with @04DarkShadowGT. If the lack of a roommate impacts your ability to afford your car, are you giving yourself any cushion for emergencies and/or future savings? Don't let yourself be in the statistic that can't get $1k together in a pinch if/when things get tough (roughly 57% of Americans from the latest reports I believe). Don't get me wrong, it's an expensive world and it sucks having to wait to have awesome toys. But, make no mistake, one day you're going to have an unexpected expense pop up that you can't put off. If it happened tomorrow, how confident are you that you could handle it without much trouble? It'll feel so much better finding yourself in a position where you can genuinely separate your living expense budget from your car expense budget so that neither has to be impacted by the other.

That said, I have to respectfully disagree with @sirben711. That is not the most fiscally responsible advice. That line of thinking is generally what causes repossessions, foreclosures, and bad credit scores. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't happen to everyone, but it happens a lot. I know this advice was given with the best intentions, but it is just not the wisest financial decision you can make. Especially when you're only 24. If you make the decision today to provide more cushion in your budget, not only will you have another Mustang again in the not too distant future, but your future self will absolutely be glad you did.

As for car suggestions. If you're wanting to stay on the relatively newer side, you should check out a Civic Si. No, it won't feel like a Mustang. But, like the Mustang, there's a huge community and lots of aftermarket options to make them more fun and put your own stamp on them. They are very reliable cars and you should be able to get a certified one within your budget pretty easily if you keep your search to the 10th gen or older. When your budget is fairly limited, having a fun car that's also very reliable is huge.

Sponsored
OP
OP

ethonlee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2020
OP, I agree with @04DarkShadowGT. If the lack of a roommate impacts your ability to afford your car, are you giving yourself any cushion for emergencies and/or future savings? Don't let yourself be in the statistic that can't get $1k together in a pinch if/when things get tough (roughly 57% of Americans from the latest reports I believe). Don't get me wrong, it's an expensive world and it sucks having to wait to have awesome toys. But, make no mistake, one day you're going to have an unexpected expense pop up that you can't put off. If it happened tomorrow, how confident are you that you could handle it without much trouble? It'll feel so much better finding yourself in a position where you can genuinely separate your living expense budget from your car expense budget so that neither has to be impacted by the other.

That said, I have to respectfully disagree with @sirben711. That is not the most fiscally responsible advice. That line of thinking is generally what causes repossessions, foreclosures, and bad credit scores. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't happen to everyone, but it happens a lot. I know this advice was given with the best intentions, but it is just not the wisest financial decision you can make. Especially when you're only 24. If you make the decision today to provide more cushion in your budget, not only will you have another Mustang again in the not too distant future, but your future self will absolutely be glad you did.

As for car suggestions. If you're wanting to stay on the relatively newer side, you should check out a Civic Si. No, it won't feel like a Mustang. But, like the Mustang, there's a huge community and lots of aftermarket options to make them more fun and put your own stamp on them. They are very reliable cars and you should be able to get a certified one within your budget pretty easily if you keep your search to the 10th gen or older. When your budget is fairly limited, having a fun car that's also very reliable is huge.
Appreciate this post especially, defiantly something to think about and Iā€™m starting to think that financial stability is gonna feel a bit better than having a mustang

BigR4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT 6MT
I feel like I don't have enough information to make a recommendation.

From what I understand; prices, monthly payments, and interest rates are at an all time high...
Not a great time to be shopping for a car.

I guess it depends what you're paying per month, how many payments you have left, how much money down etc

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Performance Package
Appreciate this post especially, defiantly something to think about and Iā€™m starting to think that financial stability is gonna feel a bit better than having a mustang
I'm glad I could help. And remember, it's just not having a Mustang right now. (Although, if you're willing to give a used ecoboost a go, I bet you could find one in your budget. They may get a lot of grief around here, but they're still a lot of fun. I loved mine before getting my GT this year.)

And if you want to talk in more depth about what your budget could look like, I'd be happy to help. I've got a Bachelor's in Accounting and Finance and my MBA; budgeting and forecasting is my full-time job. I'm a total spreadsheet nerd šŸ˜„. So feel free to shoot me a DM if you do.

OP
OP

ethonlee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2020
I feel like I don't have enough information to make a recommendation.

From what I understand; prices, monthly payments, and interest rates are at an all time high...
Not a great time to be shopping for a car.

I guess it depends what you're paying per month, how many payments you have left, how much money down etc
Atm itā€™s about $527 a month with 4.6 interest rate and still got like 70 months ish left