Sponsored

Does the G350's drain plug make you nervous?

OP
OP

Sammy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I know someone will eventually over tighten it and break off the 2 nipples inside the drain hole. Once that's happened the oil pan is scrap. I would never let anyone else do my oil changes. Including the dealer. Especially a quick change place. If someone allows a oil change place such as "jiffy lube" to service their car they are asking for problems. As already noted, the newer powerstroke diesels have the same plug.

Their is no torque spec. Insert plug and turn until it mates with the two ears. If you go past the ears you'll break off the the 2 nipples I mentioned inside the drain pan hole and the pan is junk.
That is what I thought. Thanks!!!
Sponsored

Steve Snake Driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I would think that as long as you turn it to where the 'ears' are aligned, then it shouldn't be a problem overtightening the plug. From the thread pitch in the picture, how much does the plug turn to seat? Half-turn?

EDIT: From DIY oil change post I see it is approximately a 120 degree turn to seat the plug.

http://www.mustahttp://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58639

Last edited:

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
It's plastic with a green O Ring seal. It snaps on and off with clips. There's no torquing required or needed. My main concern with this design would be hitting a curb or some object while on reverse and striking/breaking the plug or the composite oil pan. I would worry more about correctly torquing the filter than this.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
is that oil pan plastic or some type of composite?
The oil pan is injection molded nylon with fiberglass reinforcement, the same material the intake manifold is made from.

Sponsored

pete613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R
I've never had a problem with it in my 2011 powerstroke, so I'm not nervous at all about it.