Sponsored

Does the G350's drain plug make you nervous?

Sammy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I did my first oil change on my 350 1000 miles ago and was appalled by the drain plug design. For those who are not familiar with it the plug "locks" into place by the pressure of the o-ring. At least that is how I understand it. The drain plug comes off with VERY little torque. When installed there is lots of movement with a socket extension.

There are many here that do their own oil changes. If that plug were ever to come out the car would be a total loss. Just like the member with the yellow meteor. It comes out on the freeway and all that blowing oil hits the headers you have a serious problem. Ford will tell you to take a hike if you were the last one to touch it, as they should.

What do you all think? Am I over thinking this? Picts stolen from kayrojya.
IMG_0873_zpsrmgmofv9.jpg

GOPR7197_zpshpd8tkpq.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
It locks in place with that notch at the bottom. It's probably not unintentionally coming off. You should worry more about your oil filter unscrewing if you don't torque it as suggested.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
I trust a more secure and better seal with the plastic plug and o-ring design of the GT350, than a steel screw and washer on some of my older cars. As long as the o-ring is in good condition and your seal surfaces are clean, it should be dependable.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Do you need a special tool for that?
The square shaped recess in the plug is the correct size for the end of a socket extension. That's what the photos show.

Sponsored

Old Car Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Tech Pack. AG Black Roof Black Stripes G3597
I have a extra drain plug for my 350 I would say if you needed one, most likely your Ford dealer would have to order one, they had to order extra one for me. Just peace of mind. :thumbsup: :cheers:

It's a $2.00 and some change drain plug....

SWETRID

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 California Special
Diesel trucks have used this drain plug for years with no issues.

JCSIX13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I have a extra drain plug for my 350 I would say if you needed one, most likely your Ford dealer would have to order one, they had to order extra one for me. Just peace of mind. :thumbsup: :cheers:

It's a $2.00 and some change drain plug....
Do you have the part number?

Thanks
Jack

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
being a composite oil pan, a metal drain bolt would strip the threads I would think

Sponsored

Goofball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 R
Your more likely to blow out a brand new tire than have an issue with the plug. Don't sweat it.

OP
OP

Sammy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thanks guys, I feel a little better. I was talking to a service guy at my local dealership who mentioned be extra careful to torque it correctly. I should have followed up and asked what he recommended.

Does anyone know what the torque spec is on that plug? If it "locks" in it shouldn't be an issue correct?

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
I know someone will eventually over tighten it and break off the 2 nipples inside the drain hole. Once that's happened the oil pan is scrap. I would never let anyone else do my oil changes. Including the dealer. Especially a quick change place. If someone allows a oil change place such as "jiffy lube" to service their car they are asking for problems. As already noted, the newer powerstroke diesels have the same plug.

Their is no torque spec. Insert plug and turn until it mates with the two ears. If you go past the ears you'll break off the the 2 nipples I mentioned inside the drain pan hole and the pan is junk.
Sponsored