Sponsored

Does anyone else actually know how to shift their car properly?

SneakySteed

@sneakysteed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Shadow Black Mustang GT Premium PP
Hehe, just a little clickbait ;)

But seriously, I've recently broke in our new '16 GT, and started driving it in what I would call a proper manner. During no-lift shifts I get this secondary hesitation after clutch engagement. Usually ends up like this; 6500, 6750, 7000rpm, shift, clutch disengages, and stumble/hesistation, then resumes accel. This is with trac off, in either sport+ or track mode.

Do we have any tuners or engineers on here that can give me a clear answer on whether these cars have some sort of torque management, clutch protection, etc, written into the oem tune? This doesn't feel mechanical, it literally feels like the ECU is pulling timing (extremely aggressively), or playing with the drive-by-wire throttle bodies and not giving me WOT immediately. I really don't like it, it makes me not want to drive the car aggressively.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I wonder that when driving this car. All I hear is "CLUNK! GRIND! CLUNK! BADOOM! GRIND!"

V8EATR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
It's torque management. The car has clutch/trans protection and cuts a bunch of timing between shifts. I noticed that right away on mine, very annoying. A tune from anyone will get rid of it.

uglygun

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 289 2v, 95 Cobra, 05 GT, 15 GT Perf Pack
Yes I have experienced some thing like that and it is pretty annoying. I wonder if it is a logic built in akin to the rpm hold that happens on regular acceleration with a lift to allow revs to drop before next numericalky higher gear.

I have yet to hammer on the car in deliberate controlled ways to see if it is lessened with track mode and traction control/advancetrac off.

Rhinogt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt
Both torque management and more so clutch protection do this. Yes they exist in the stock tune. Not only does the car pull timing, but it will close the throttle a certain amount as well when this engages. With a proper tune that goes away.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
What do you mean by "no lift" shifts? Are you saying that you aren't getting off the throttle between changes?

OP
OP
SneakySteed

SneakySteed

@sneakysteed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Shadow Black Mustang GT Premium PP
It's torque management. The car has clutch/trans protection and cuts a bunch of timing between shifts. I noticed that right away on mine, very annoying. A tune from anyone will get rid of it.
Yes I have experienced some thing like that and it is pretty annoying. I wonder if it is a logic built in akin to the rpm hold that happens on regular acceleration with a lift to allow revs to drop before next numericalky higher gear.

I have yet to hammer on the car in deliberate controlled ways to see if it is lessened with track mode and traction control/advancetrac off.
Both torque management and more so clutch protection do this. Yes they exist in the stock tune. Not only does the car pull timing, but it will close the throttle a certain amount as well when this engages. With a proper tune that goes away.
Much appreciated for the responses, looks like it was exactly as I thought it was.

Well, time for a tune :)

What do you mean by "no lift" shifts? Are you saying that you aren't getting off the throttle between changes?
Lifting just enough not sit on the fuel cut, but yes, essentially not lifting off the throttle between shifts.
Sponsored