Sponsored

Do your back windows not close all the way?

392lightning

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible

S550_Tips

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost premium convertible
I found it highly annoy and frustrating whenever the rear windows don’t go up all the way. I scoured YT for a fix and not a band-aid to the problem. For us as owners, I don’t think we should have to use silicone lubricant, sunscreen, chapstick, or deodorant on the rear window just to think “I fixed it!” Or even pulling the rear window shut for that matter. I used to use silicone lubricant, but it got to the point that even the lubricant wasn’t helping anymore.
Here are two videos that I hope are helpful for you.

Closing the window gap tip (my video)

If the tip above doesn’t help, then you may need an alignment.

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
If you put up the rear windows first, then the fronts it isn’t a problem. Handbook even says to and it’s the reason why when you pull both windows switches, the back ones come up faster.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
None of these has worked for me so far. I'm pulling them closed manually.

Sponsored

JJ'sPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT Premium 2020
Cheap Fix that usually works.

When deploying/Closing the Convertible Top;

First Step, Close as routine operation until Top is ready for Locking in Closed Position.

Second Step, Rotate Locking Handle to Closed Position.

Third Step, Rotate Locking Handle to Open Position.

Fourth Step, Lightly Push up on Extended Locking Handle to slightly disengage lock, approximately 1/2 to 3/4 inch.

Fifth Step, Use the Rear Window Control to Raise rear windows, you should hear them Click when seated Properly.

Sixth Step, Pull Down on Locking Handle and Rotate to lock down the Top.

Raise Front Windows, there should no longer be a Gap between the Front and Rear Windows.

No Fuss No additional effort required. Entire Process adds about 10 seconds to Secure Closure.

Last edited:

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
Yeah, that's one of the things I tried.

The only thing that helped at all was the silicone spray, and it only worked for a few days on the passenger side which had developed a gap of maybe a quarter of an inch. The gap on the driver's side is between 1/2 to 3/4 inch, and nothing helps except reaching behind me and pulling it shut.

Maybe I'll try more spray.

S550_Tips

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost premium convertible
Yeah, that's one of the things I tried.

The only thing that helped at all was the silicone spray, and it only worked for a few days on the passenger side which had developed a gap of maybe a quarter of an inch. The gap on the driver's side is between 1/2 to 3/4 inch, and nothing helps except reaching behind me and pulling it shut.

Maybe I'll try more spray.
You probably need an alignment.

Reactions: DRB

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
I had that early on, took it to dealer. they did the silicon but told me that the motors might need tweaking to close all the way. It was still gapping a little but I needed the car for my track dates. few days later windows went all the way up, pop! I saw the silicone the mechanic had put in, wiped the excess down and it's been good for over year. Weird issue, Ford could do better.

5550snotamerc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s550 eco convertible auto
Weird issue, Ford could do better.
I rented one before I bought mine. I thought it was broken. I called the rental company to see about swapping it out and the guy said "they all do that, just pull it up" I was like ok, I guess I'll keep it. Now that I have one I am less inclined to tolerate it.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
I rented one before I bought mine. I thought it was broken. I called the rental company to see about swapping it out and the guy said "they all do that, just pull it up" I was like ok, I guess I'll keep it. Now that I have one I am less inclined to tolerate it.
now over a year later I've not had any repeat of the window issue. fwiw
Sponsored