Disposal of used oil.

TDChi-Town

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Convertible GT California Special
I stopped changing the oil myself due to the hassle of disposal. For those that still change their own oil how do you dispose of the oil?
Sponsored

MattMPA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2016 Interceptor Utility, 2005 Excursion
I buy my oil at WalMart---and they accept the old oil...

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I stopped changing the oil myself due to the hassle of disposal. For those that still change their own oil how do you dispose of the oil?
All Chicago area Auto Zones accept walk-in waste oil, no fuss, no signature.
O’Reilly’s on the other hand requires a signature and drivers license……

RTR077

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT RTR Spec 1
My local recycle center takes it. Easy

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
It's really no more difficult to recycle oil than it is to buy it in the first place. Just find a auto parts stores that will recycle it and just take the old oil (from your last oil change) with you when you go to buy the oil for the next change. No extra trips or hassle needed.
Maybe ask around some of your local repair shops or oil change places. Sometimes they get paid for their old oil.

PSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 17 F150, 00 MB C230 Kompressor
There’s a recycle center about 5 minutes away, once I’ve got a few jugs built up I just take it there.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
That reminds me got a ton of mixed oil/coolant/water. No one takes it because it is contaminated, in that case you got to go to a hazardous materials landfill for your area. If its just oil most auto parts store take it (autozone etc).

OP
OP

TDChi-Town

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Convertible GT California Special
It's really no more difficult to recycle oil than it is to buy it in the first place. Just find a auto parts stores that will recycle it and just take the old oil (from your last oil change) with you when you go to buy the oil for the next change. No extra trips or hassle needed.
Maybe ask around some of your local repair shops or oil change places. Sometimes they get paid for their old oil.
Thanks. I have a red convertible 2019. So much FUN!

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
That reminds me got a ton of mixed oil/coolant/water. No one takes it because it is contaminated, in that case you got to go to a hazardous materials landfill for your area. If its just oil most auto parts store take it (autozone etc).
Not hard to remove the water/coolant from the oil as they will be at the bottom.

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
the town municipal building has a waste oil collection site, just dump it in. Then they sell it to a re processor and make some money to keep my taxes down.

BlueThunder16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP Deep Impact Blue
Same here. Any auto parts store, Home Depot, or town waste disposal center. Plenty of options. I pour the old oil back into the same containers and just keep them on the floor of my garage in the corner out of the way until I happen to make a trip to one of thos places, usually Home Depot since I'm constantly going there anyway.

_zOmbIE_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 22 GT Prem PP
My local landfill accepts household hazardous waste on certain days of the week.

But I work at a maintenance organization and luckily we have several large waste POL containers at work :)

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Recycling center, although now some municipalities now calls them "ecological islands", whatever that means in their minds.

The problem I found is that although they will take the oil they will usually not take the filter. Now I just wrap it up and dispose of it through regular household waste after having it drip well.

Why provision a way to recycle the oil and then not accept the filter? My guess is they have by law to accept the old oil but not the filter. The same municipalities that give those crazy sounding names don't want you to have a car so this is one of the ways they make ownership more difficult.

The question is, how do you dispose of your filters?
Sponsored