Sponsored

Disguised S550 Mustang Spied Testing - New Variant or Refresh?

Macfarland

MacFastang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Prius III Touring
Too long away. That would be 2 years from '16 MY til '18 MY of Camaro being the new kid on the block.

Ain't no way Ford is letting that happen.
I think '17 is way too early, but looking at ford's strategy the last 10 years it might make sense. When the S197 hit the streets the Mustang had no competition. Perhaps is the reason the 05-09 went unchanged until the '10 model year (much more than a facelift) to take on the new camaro. Once ford realized that they lost their sales title, they immediately made a facelift for '13-14 model years to try to recup some of the lost sales.
I think the story of the '10-14 will repeat itself. I still think next year is too early. The '10 redesigned lasted 3 model years. A redesign this early might indicate that ford is afraid of the camaro. My take is that the 2018 will have a facelift and a new auto tranny (perhaps a bump in HP) and 2020 will be a new lighter aluminum Mustang.
Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I think '17 is way too early, but looking at ford's strategy the last 10 years it might make sense. When the S197 hit the streets the Mustang had no competition. Perhaps is the reason the 05-09 went unchanged until the '10 model year (much more than a facelift) to take on the new camaro. Once ford realized that they lost their sales title, they immediately made a facelift for '13-14 model years to try to recup some of the lost sales.
I think the story of the '10-14 will repeat itself. I still think next year is too early. The '10 redesigned lasted 3 model years. A redesign this early might indicate that ford is afraid of the camaro. My take is that the 2018 will have a facelift and a new auto tranny (perhaps a bump in HP) and 2020 will be a new lighter aluminum Mustang.
Considering most brands are doing this now, 3rd year it not too early, especially with a new competitor launching. Ford wouldn't be hiding lights/rear if there wasn't some sort of refresh body work change coming.

Don't think for a second this is the Mach 1. Even the GT350/350Rs were obvious they were performance models in camo.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Strange, rumor is that is the exact head and tail light setup on the 2017, so I am not sure what the Camo is for... :)

Macfarland

MacFastang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Prius III Touring
Considering most brands are doing this now, 3rd year it not too early, especially with a new competitor launching. Ford wouldn't be hiding lights/rear if there wasn't some sort of refresh body work change coming.

Don't think for a second this is the Mach 1. Even the GT350/350Rs were obvious they were performance models in camo.
It's hard to guess. My question is, why would they go and test a car on the streets that only has cosmetic changes? If they are test driving on the streets and not in their own facilities for cosmetic purposes, then it must be much more than just a minor facelift.

Sponsored

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Mate we haven't even got the current version yet, let alone potential model changes already.

Arsenalslr95

V6 Tactical Operator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Cyclone
Great so I will have a dated model car before my lease is up. I figured I was safe with 3yrs since this model is new

Asonitez

I go 71 in a 70 *REBEL*
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tristian
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT Premium
damn its still 2015 and i have a 2016 now your telling me there is a 2017!!! time to trade it in!

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
you can figure out the front end shape is the same and the headlight shape is the same.

that being said i seriously doubt 17 is a refresh.

paullyd210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
A ticking time bomb ;)
Hmm I'll take a guess that it's a GT variant with a v6 ecoboost engine that Ford will name something else to differentiate the two. The engine will be the all-new 3.5 L twin-turbocharged EcoBoost V6 that will also be shared with the raptor in 2017. This will allow an option similar in price and power output that will exceed the 16 camaro ss.

Sponsored

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Lincoln?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Most refresh cycles are in the 4th year (i.e after 3 years). 2015 + 3 = 2018. Ford will probably do something like a special edition in 2017, but no major updates till 2018. It takes time to properly design & validate significant changes.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
It's hard to guess. My question is, why would they go and test a car on the streets that only has cosmetic changes? If they are test driving on the streets and not in their own facilities for cosmetic purposes, then it must be much more than just a minor facelift.
10 speed tranny maybe?

SynisterGT

Kooks + Corsa FTW!!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Mag/Redline
Very interesting. If this is a 17 we should see something around January because order banks would open in April/May. If I had to guess it would be like the 13 refresh. Front and rear with maybe a few new wheels.