DFW Torx Bolt Removal Help!

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Removing the counter weight (what jbailer is referring to) and tacking the torx bit to it is going to be the easiest method. Trust me on this one. I tried a little bit of everything except for cutting the heatshield and I didn't want to do that because it still doesn't remedy the problem.

lz0Bh0N.jpg

i4GXtbT.jpg
Sponsored

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
If you can get a dremel in there with a cut off disk you can cut a slot and use a screwdriver to remove it.

OP
OP
Jasber

Jasber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Ingot Silver
Thanks to everyone for all your tips and advice! Gonna give it a go again tomorrow night! Wish me luck!

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
I mangled that bolt getting it out on my car and replaced it with a hex headed bolt I had laying around. I have no idea what thread it is or anything. I have a ton of bolts from various cars saved and had one that fit.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I mangled that bolt getting it out on my car and replaced it with a hex headed bolt I had laying around. I have no idea what thread it is or anything. I have a ton of bolts from various cars saved and had one that fit.
That is a smart idea. I have a bunch of bolts laying around too but couldn't find one that fit. Stupid me, I bought another of the same bolt from Ford for like $8 or something (can't remember exactly). What I should have done is gone to the hardware store and bought a regular bolt. Mine wasn't totally mangled, just a little bit but enough I didn't want to put it back in.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jasber

Jasber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Oh I'll definitely be putting a hex head in once I get the little f%%^* out!

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Why dont you just take the Turbo off the car, then mess with the bolt. I take my turbo off with the cover on still.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Why dont you just take the Turbo off the car, then mess with the bolt. I take my turbo off with the cover on still.
The turbo being on or off the car wouldn't impact access to the lower bolt on the heat shield.

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
The turbo being on or off the car wouldn't impact access to the lower bolt on the heat shield.
Sure it would help, the bolt would be right in front of you on the bench verses laying over the fender and underneath the turbo.

Sponsored

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
That may just add more to the frustration re: coolant fountain.

I would try something like these. Just find one that almost fits on the bolt head, give it a tap with a hammer/heavy tool, attach ratchet without moving too and start wrenching. Use a quick motion to help it bite. Once it does it'll come right out. They have worked for me well in the past (Don't get these "squared" ones, get the round/helical sharp ones from Orielly's:

Otherwise pick your redneck engineering removal of choice: ajax/wet sand; weld a bit, fill head with JB weld, insert bit, try it the next day; cut bolt head off, remove shield, grab stud with locking pliers, and so on and so forth....

OP
OP
Jasber

Jasber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I'm going to try the torx plus tomorrow. If that's a no go, remove canister and try to weld again. If all else fails - I'm going redneck!

OP
OP
Jasber

Jasber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Went redneck. Cut the damn heat shield near the bottom to solve the problem. Finally got the wastegate on and tune loaded. Now it time to datalog!!!

bestbacon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EB 2015 Mustang DIB
Damn I didn't respond fast enough, I was just about to say that if you jacked up the front passenger side and took off the wheel that you could go under and use an extractor to get it off too. Just make sure you use some lubricant and all should be well. In all honesty though I don't even know why they bothered to randomly put one t30 torx bit at one of the hardest to reach locations...

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
That may just add more to the frustration re: coolant fountain.

I would try something like these. Just find one that almost fits on the bolt head, give it a tap with a hammer/heavy tool, attach ratchet without moving too and start wrenching. Use a quick motion to help it bite. Once it does it'll come right out. They have worked for me well in the past (Don't get these "squared" ones, get the round/helical sharp ones from Orielly's:
what's the name for these?
Sponsored