DFW Torx Bolt Removal Help!

Jasber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Ingot Silver
My local Ford Service Center stripped the %^*+ out of my T30 torx bolt at the bottom of my heat shield. This is preventing me from completing the install of my Tune+ Wastegate actuator and loading my new tune from Adam.

Had a 24-48 hour window given to even look at it the dealer and a forum members son tried to help me spot weld a hex nut on the end of it so we could take it out, but there's just no damn room to get in there and do anything!

I'm completely stuck as of this moment and have no idea how to get this bolt removed. Stupid design for this heat shield by not allowing for anything but a torx bit (barely) in there to remove the bolt!

HELP! Having this tune, but not having it, is driving me crazy!!!!

I'm open to ANY and ALL suggestions.
Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
There's a thread on here where another guy welded a bit onto the screw. Along with the bolt being relatively difficult to get to, I think the head of it is too soft, it seems to strip easily. I've heard of a lot of people stripping it.

OP
OP
Jasber

Jasber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Tried the weld idea but even up on a lift coming at it from the bottom, there was just no room to work. I'm at a total loss and just want to be able to get my new wastegate on so I can drop in Adam's tune!

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
There should be room. Did you take out that little round silver can sitting next to it? I have no idea what it is but it is just held on by a 10mm bolt.

OP
OP
Jasber

Jasber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Gonna try again tomorrow. I'd do just about anything to get this bolt out!

Sponsored

paullyd210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
A ticking time bomb ;)
are you sure it really is stripped? I thought mine was stripped because all it would do was slip right out the issue was that i could never get a good grip on it

the way we got it out was

do what jbailer stated above, wd40, make sure the t30 socket is fully seated in the bolt then use a pry bar to apply pressue against that ratchet with the t30 socket fully seated to ensure it doesn't slip out and then turn, should come out.

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
Did you try Ajax?

OP
OP
Jasber

Jasber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
The T30 won't even seat fully inside. Ordering a Torx Plus set to see if there's a difference in fit.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
The T30 won't even seat fully inside. Ordering a Torx Plus set to see if there's a difference in fit.
Interesting, I never knew there was a difference. It actually looks significant.

torx-plus.png

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Remove the silver weight from the motor mount and it'll provide a little more clearance. I too stripped mine (after installed the IWG) and I spot welded the torx bit to it. It was a cheap bit that only costed a couple of bucks, so I used it. It worked perfectly and we had it out in less than two minutes.

Hold the torx bit up in the stripped out portion of the bolt and just start tacking around the bottom where it meets the bolt head. It doesn't require much tacking as the bolt is pretty soft and will back right out, so be careful not to burn a hole through the bolt.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jasber

Jasber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Remove the silver weight from the motor mount and it'll provide a little more clearance. I too stripped mine (after installed the IWG) and I spot welded the torx bit to it. It was a cheap bit that only costed a couple of bucks, so I used it. It worked perfectly and we had it out in less than two minutes.

Hold the torx bit up in the strip out portion of the bolt and just start tacking around the bottom where it meets the bolt head. It doesn't require much tacking as the bolt is pretty soft and will back right out, so be careful not to burn a hole through the bolt.
That was going to be my last resort option!

Fridge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Manual w/PP
I ran into the same issue and just made a 3 1/2 inch cut into the heat shield allowing to pull it back far enough to install WGA.

I'll post a picture below so you can see.
1463429774.image.jpg

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
By the way, that can I was talking about removing to give you a little more room is where that blue spot is in the picture above, right below the heat shield in the picture. It's just a 10mm bolt holding it on.

Fridge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
After cutting I was able to slip the heat shield I between the two solid coolant lines. I was freaking out thinking I had to weld something on the stripped screw or drill it out God forbid. Hope this helps

Fridge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
By the way, that can I was talking about removing to give you a little more room is where that blue spot is in the picture above, right below the heat shield in the picture. It's just a 10mm bolt holding it on.
Oh ya do that first makes way more room to wiggle the heat shield enough to continue with the install.
Sponsored