Sponsored

DFB's Soap Shoot Out

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Remember too that part of the foam equation is water quality. Hard water tends to make for a runnier foam, which is a problem I have. I increase the soap to water ratio to help counter that a little bit but it’s still not as good as those that have or create soft/filtered water.
How much adjustment do you have on your mixer? Mine goes from super thin to shaving cream.
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
How much adjustment do you have on your mixer? Mine goes from super thin to shaving cream.
Same here. I have the Adam’s foam cannon and I can adjust it quite a bit. I usually have it set for max foam

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Same here. I have the Adam’s foam cannon and I can adjust it quite a bit. I usually have it set for max foam
Mine does a runny foam even on the max setting. I do have super hard water though. Really annoying as I have to be ultra quick when I am done or it spots up super bad. The same soap was extra shaving cream foam when I lived in NC and the water was better. I've been looking at water water softeners but the good ones are super expensive.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Mine does a runny foam even on the max setting. I do have super hard water though. Really annoying as I have to be ultra quick when I am done or it spots up super bad. The same soap was extra shaving cream foam when I lived in NC and the water was better. I've been looking at water water softeners but the good ones are super expensive.
Yeah we have really hard water here. I have a water softener for everything inside the house but not outside. I usually foam the car and can only let it dwell a few minutes before it starts running off and spotting. Would love to do something outside for when I wash cars but it’s definitely expensive. I just work fast and if I need to wash twice, I just do that.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Allow me to put in a plug for whole-house water softeners. Our little burg has very hard water. I've tested it many times and the worst I have seen is 1500ppm. We were living in this house for over ten years before I decided to deal with the issue.

I purchased the system from a local pump supplier, drew out the system, picked up the list of needed PVC and ball valves, and then it took me a couple days to get it installed.

Here's a copy of my original drawing..

1682434750338.png

And this is the final rig.

1682434793234.png

The "tubes" on either side of the tanks are pre and post filters...20µ and 5µ respectively and the tank on the right is a carbon filter. The softener is on the left.

With this system, the calcium level dropped to 400ppm. I have another small softener in our island to make extra soft water (200ppm) for the coffee machines.

My point is, if you don't have whole-house softening currently and, if you're comfortable with cutting and gluing PVC, you can do this. This system is about twelve years old and hasn't given me a single issue I couldn't deal with quickly. Back in 2010 or thereabouts when I bought the materials, I think it was around $1500 for everything. No doubt today that's probably $2500 but in the big scheme of things, it really isn't a huge expense especially when you consider how wonderful soft water is (once you get over the initial unpleasant feel of it.) You are actually much cleaner even though you can't tell this at first, it takes about a week.

There are SO many advantages to having soft water and it's a long list with zero disadvantages so take the plunge, friends, you'll thank me for it. <smile>

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Beautiful car.
Thank you for saying so, Larry. The camera was an iPhone 11 Pro Max although I've since upgraded to a 14 Pro Max and its camera/lenses are noticeably better. Even so, the 11's was damn good.

BTW, her name is "Sarah." <grin> I took her CF wheels off after the first year because I got tired of constantly worrying about them. Terrance at Signature hooked me up and besides, I'm old school and still prefer light-colored wheels and have never been a fan of black. I know, I know...shit happens when you age. <smiling>

larf37

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Right on. I think I’m due for a cell phone camera upgrade myself possibly later this year. Beyond the camera improvements I’m interested in the satellite SOS feature I think I’ve seen is available on the newer iPhone models.

Sarah is sexy!!

Thank you for saying so, Larry. The camera was an iPhone 11 Pro Max although I've since upgraded to a 14 Pro Max and its camera/lenses are noticeably better. Even so, the 11's was damn good.

BTW, her name is "Sarah." <grin> I took her CF wheels off after the first year because I got tired of constantly worrying about them. Terrance at Signature hooked me up and besides, I'm old school and still prefer light-colored wheels and have never been a fan of black. I know, I know...shit happens when you age. <smiling>

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
A couple of extra soaps that have been through the garage recently.

Mirch Blue Candy - this is a pH neutral maintenance soap that is extremely well priced. A 500ml bottle is only $14.99, 1000ml $22.99 and a 5 liter jug sits at $49.99. For comparison, NV Snow is $20.95 and $32.95 for 500ml and 1000ml respectively, a 4 liter bottle sitting at $76.50. If you are pro detailer, you can even get this product in a 20 liter drum for just on $110.

Blue Candy is at home in a bucket or foam cannon, delivering thick shaving cream foam. Slickness and cleaning ability is on par, the rinse off easy without excessive reactivation. The scent is a strong bubblegum aroma, one that I didn't really care for. Blue Candy is not a favorite, but I can see the appeal and value it provides. If you keep an eye out, those above prices are often even cheaper on sale.

Lubrication – 7/10
Cleaning Ability 7/10
Scent – Sweet Bubblegum
PH Level – 7.5
Consistency – Moderately thick
Overall Rating – 7/10

IMG-8884.jpg

IMG-8881.jpg

DIY Detail Incredible Suds - a pH "balanced" soap that can be dialed up or down depending on your cleaning needs. While it can be used in a bucket, its main claim to fame is the ultra-thick foaming ability. So thick that DIY had to put out an updated dilution ratio to dial it back some. The candy-like fragrance is enjoyable, as is the slickness and excellent cleaning ability. But what makes it a winner in my opinion is the exceptionally easy rinse off, I have never used a soap that rises so freely. I could see this aspect being very attractive to pro-detailers looking for time efficiency. But..........

The price of Incredible Suds is just too much. A 473ml bottle is $34.95, a gallon priced at a ludicrous $179.95. Those prices rule it out for pro use, in Australia at least. A real shame, because this is an excellent product. (Those are AUD prices, so this aspect is not all that relevant for US readers, so go buy some, you will love it!)

Lubrication – 8/10
Cleaning Ability 9/10
Scent – Candy
PH Level – Balanced but variable
Consistency – Moderately thick
Overall Rating – 9/10

IMG-8137.jpg

IMG-8143.jpg

IMG-8147.jpg

Gyeon Q2M Foam - Gyeon seem to be a bit cagey with this product by not quoting a pH level. As a pre-wash soap designed to soften and lift dirt prior to the contact wash, I suspected a higher pH is what delivers that. Tested with my pH meter, that theory played out with a reading of about 12.0. As such, I would only be using this as an occasional wash on dirtier vehicles or as a restorative decon for ceramic coatings. There is a hint of a lemon fragrance and the foam quality is extremely thick. Think of Q2M Foam as Gyeon's version of Carpro Lift.

Lubrication – 8/10
Cleaning Ability 10/10
Scent – Mild Lemon
PH Level – 11.95
Consistency – Thin
Overall Rating – 8/10

IMG-9180.jpg

IMG-9219.jpg

3D Pink Car Soap - this is a soap from a brand aimed at professional users, where ultimate showmanship is not top of mind. Its pH neutral, and excellent value in gallon format. Despite the ultra-thick consistency of the concentrate, the foam quality is thin and watery. Having said that, the soap has a long dwell period and great slickness. The cherry scent is nice and rinse off is super easy.

Not a WOW soap, but a workhorse for professionals who don't need to impress the neighbors with a heavy snow job.

Lubrication – 7/10
Cleaning Ability 7/10
Scent – Sweet Cherry
PH Level – 7.8
Consistency – Thin
Overall Rating – 6/10

IMG-9185.jpg

IMG-9209.jpg

IMG-9205.jpg

Koch Chemie Nano Magic - think of this as a fancy wash-n-wax, with Si02 instead of wax. It won't touch GSF for foam quality, but it does blanket the vehicle in a thin layer of soap that holds on quite nicely. Using the wash mitt and then rinsing activates that Si02 element. In use, the soap is decently slick, but again, not to GSF levels. The scent is that very distinctive and pleasant KCx aroma. Interestingly, the pH level is on the acidic side.

Nano Magic is best used as a light maintenance rather than a heavy-duty cleaning soap, and don't expect it to transform flat, un-protected paint. Personally, I don't really have a use for these sorts of soap, but I do see their appeal.

Lubrication – 8/10
Cleaning Ability 7/10
Scent – Hard to describe
PH Level – 5.5
Consistency – Thin
Overall Rating – 7/10

IMG-9222.jpg

IMG-9229.jpg

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
@DFB5.0 , Great stuff. Just revisited this thread and have bought many of these soaps. The top 3 on the initial post are in my rotation for sure (Reset, GSF, NV Snow) and I added Gyeon Bathe as my 4th maintenance soap which I really like in the bucket, not so much in the foam cannon unless I really dial up the amount. All good ones :) I do like LIft and Gyeon Foam respectively pretty much equal and Descale for those pesky water spots. I have tried P&S Pearl as well and I agree, I don't like it. Was glad when it was gone :) I know in your newest post you mentioned not caring for Nano Magic. I haven't tried that one but I do like CarPro Hydro Foam. Works really well in the foam canon and leaves some impressive hydrophobics just like the standard Hydr02. Just ordered some Bathe+ to try next in that arena. Also ordered some Gyeon Restart to try in comparison to IronX Snow foam.. The damn rabbit hole keeps getting deeper LOL...

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
To all my detainees it’s about time to order another jug of pre-wash. I’ve always used Gyeon foam but I’m considering trying carpro lift. My car is ceramic coat.

so…

Gyeon Foam

or

Carpro Lift

Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
To all my detainees it’s about time to order another jug of pre-wash. I’ve always used Gyeon foam but I’m considering trying carpro lift. My car is ceramic coat.

so…

Gyeon Foam

or

Carpro Lift
Both boss :) . I've got both. I use LIft one wash and Foam the next :) . Nice to have options. I always use LIft before Reset and Foam before Bathe. Keep it in the family so to speak. I've got Koch Chemie GSF too. I just put a dash of Green Star in the GSF to make my own pre wash when I need it. Ugh, the rabbit hole runs deep ... Another great one is NV Snow and Snow+. The Snow+ is a pre wash and Snow regular wash.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

so…

Gyeon Foam

or

Carpro Lift
I use Lift. But both are good products

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
Both boss :) . I've got both. I use LIft one wash and Foam the next :) . Nice to have options. I always use LIft before Reset and Foam before Bathe. Keep it in the family so to speak. I've got Koch Chemie GSF too. I just put a dash of Green Star in the GSF to make my own pre wash when I need it. Ugh, the rabbit hole runs deep ... Another great one is NV Snow and Snow+. The Snow+ is a pre wash and Snow regular wash.
I wanna try GSF but at 150ml that seems like a lot. I think I use 80ml of gyeon in my cannon.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
I wanna try GSF but at 150ml that seems like a lot. I think I use 80ml of gyeon in my cannon.
I'm the opposite. I find the Gyeon soaps don't make good foam for me unless I use over 100ml. I only use 50ml of GSF (my canon only holds about 800ml) and it makes great foam for me. GSF though is only a PH neutral maintenance soap, one of the best I might add besides CarPro Reset. I add some KCx Green Star (apc) to make it stronger when I need to. Usually 50ml of GS and 50ml of GSF.. That gives it the alkaline cleaning power similar to Lift and Gyeon Foam.

That said, I prefer LIft over Foam personally . Gyeon works great but Lift does foam a little better with less product for me.. Also don't sleep on NV Snow+. Its a great alkaline pre clean soap.

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
I'm the opposite. I find the Gyeon soaps don't make good foam for me unless I use over 100ml. I only use 50ml of GSF (my canon only holds about 800ml) and it makes great foam for me. GSF though is only a PH neutral maintenance soap, one of the best I might add besides CarPro Reset. I add some KCx Green Star (apc) to make it stronger when I need to. Usually 50ml of GS and 50ml of GSF.. That gives it the alkaline cleaning power similar to Lift and Gyeon Foam.

That said, I prefer LIft over Foam personally . Gyeon works great but Lift does foam a little better with less product for me.. Also don't sleep on NV Snow+. Its a great alkaline pre clean soap.
I use a mtm pf22 it’s a 1000 ml, what’s your dilution on the snow+
Sponsored