Sponsored

Dents in trunk decklid...

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Since there are the shocks that raise the trunk, I have to pull it down shut with considerably more force than my Toyota, which is just hinged. As a result, I seem to have a dent or two that are barely noticeable but you can see at certain angles.

Kind of pisses me off, since you need to shut the trunk hard enough to overcome the shocks of the trunklid but the decklid seems to be made out of a flimsy, thin material. I'm no hulk, and I try to close it as gently as possible while still getting it to latch.

Anybody else get this?
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Mine never needs to be shut hard. Just a gentle push it clicks in place. Bring it down slowly.
Adjust your rubber stoppers. Maybe they are preventing the latch from latching.

ultimate warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Since there are the shocks that raise the trunk, I have to pull it down shut with considerably more force than my Toyota, which is just hinged. As a result, I seem to have a dent or two that are barely noticeable but you can see at certain angles.

Kind of pisses me off, since you need to shut the trunk hard enough to overcome the shocks of the trunklid but the decklid seems to be made out of a flimsy, thin material. I'm no hulk, and I try to close it as gently as possible while still getting it to latch.

Anybody else get this?
do you have a spoiler?

if not, there is a reason why most of the cars come with that crappy base model spoiler.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
A dent like this along the ridge?
20150813_163911.jpg

Sponsored

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Haha ..got me!.. but really the wifey said she didn't slam it that hard.

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra

Anybody else get this?
I've opened and closed more than a few S550 trunk lids, and never have I seen a "dent" in the trunk lid from the struts that allow it to open. Unless one of the struts is completely frozen and you force it closed, that is damn near impossible. Sounds more like you have damage from an outside source.

As far as the force required to close the trunk, of course it requires more effort than your cheaply made Toyota. Toyota doesn't use hood struts nor trunk struts; they use the old school, cheap, space robbing hinges. Gas struts are too expensive for a manufacturer that is obsessed with doing nothing more than saving money and delivering the cheapest product in every aspect possible.

And no, the trunk lid is not made out of "flimsy" or "thin" material. A dent is obviously the result of damage; and any metal regardless of composition will become dented when struck with enough force.

OP
OP
lazarus870

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
My dent is in the part near where it says "GT"...that black strip. That's where I close mine from, and from all the fingerprints on the S550's around town from around that spot, I suspect many people use that part to close the trunk.

Jesse R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 2003 Mach 1
You might need to adjust the latch itself on the inside of the trunk..mine would require a bit of force for it to latch untill I adjusted it..now it will latch easily

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Too resistance?

I can shut my trunk using two finger tips (I don't like fingerprints on the paint).
A slow steady downward push and the trunk descends and locks.

For those who have trouble getting the trunk closed...anyone know the procedure to adjust the force needed to shut/lock the trunk?

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
My dent is in the part near where it says "GT"...that black strip. That's where I close mine from, and from all the fingerprints on the S550's around town from around that spot, I suspect many people use that part to close the trunk.
Strange that it would 'dent' on that piece, because the center piece that has the 'GT' emblem on it is plastic. :shrug:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
For those who have trouble getting the trunk closed...anyone know the procedure to adjust the force needed to shut/lock the trunk?
Latch and/or rubber bumper adjustment.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I hope she didn't shut it all the way first and then just try to push it down with her hand on the lid. You can't really reach the top of the lid if its fully open.
Sponsored