Decided to ignore winter….. breaking my mustang out of the garage

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Every year around this time, i go through this internal argument with myself….
My Cars in the garage, staying clean and salt free… i drive my truck… i wish i was driving a fun car…. But want to keep it clean and rust and salt free.

Do i drive the car? Get it all mucky with all the crud on our maine roads in the winter… pot holes, frost heaves, ice patches?
let the salt get under the car, into the crevices? Every year, my sensible side wins out and i keep the car locked up until april after the winter salt and sand is washed away and the roads are swept…

Its a long wait and internally, i go back and forth with pros and cons of storing the car for the winter…

Maybe its the fact that i am old… 61, maybe I've seen too many long winters…. Maybe its the stretch of good weather we are having… Maybe i just dont care anymore?

Frig it, life is too short. I am putting my car back on the road tomorrow! I will consider it a valentines gift to myself….

the car has been stored since late november. ITs gonna be freed and back on the road tomorrow.

Ill find a way to rinse the underside every week and im going to drive it, as long as its not snowing…. And i will stop missing the ride, and start riding the ride….

IMG_7652.jpeg
Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Freed mine this weekend. Had been in since Jan 1. Was warm 60 degree days both Saturday and Sunday. Had a great drive both days with my friends. Back in the garage now for a while :)

IMG_0326.jpeg

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
This is the way! I understand those that want to keep the salt and crap off the cars, but the rust inhibitors on the newer cars are so much better than they used to be. I drive mine year round, too much fun not too. I just spray off the salt as often as I can. Enjoy it!

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
This is the way! I understand those that want to keep the salt and crap off the cars, but the rust inhibitors on the newer cars are so much better than they used to be. I drive mine year round, too much fun not too. I just spray off the salt as often as I can. Enjoy it!
My hiccup is summer tires. I sold my all seasons. Will get another set of all seasons when these summers are done. I don't like them anyway, a set of DWS 06's should fix that right up :)

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
My hiccup is summer tires. I sold my all seasons. Will get another set of all seasons when these summers are done. I don't like them anyway, a set of DWS 06's should fix that right up :)
I kept the stock wheels from my 2016 which have Blizzaks on them for winter. Then I have my SVE’s with Extreme Contact Sport on them for spring thru fall.

A Shelby would be a different story for me, I would tuck that away for winter. More because 760hp is a lot on warm, dry pavement let alone snowy pavement. There are guys that drive their Vette’s here all year round, even in a few inches of snow. Any more than that and they’re plowing the snow with their front end 🤣

Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
I kept the stock wheels from my 2016 which have Blizzaks on them for winter. Then I have my SVE’s with Extreme Contact Sport on them for spring thru fall.

A Shelby would be a different story for me, I would tuck that away for winter. More because 760hp is a lot on warm, dry pavement let alone snowy pavement. There are guys that drive their Vette’s here all year round, even in a few inches of snow. Any more than that and they’re plowing the snow with their front end 🤣
Yeah I had my stocks with Michelin Pilot Sport all season 4's on them. I got in a pinch for cash a couple months ago (My Mazda needed tires, it is driven far more often) so I broke down and sold them to a local fellow group member. She put them on her S197, they look really good.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Frig it, life is too short. I am putting my car back on the road tomorrow! I will consider it a valentines gift to myself….
Life IS to short, John, and the clock keeps ticking so I completely understand your decision to take her out.

I don't like them anyway, a set of DWS 06's should fix that right up
Had to look those up and the Continentals are considerably cheaper than the Michelins, Alex. If memory serves, (and that's iffy at best, <smile>) I think I have only had one set of Conti's on a truck and I believe they were factory but not certain. I'm gonna guess that you have experience with them? Reviews are pretty positive.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Life IS to short, John, and the clock keeps ticking so I completely understand your decision to take her out.

Had to look those up and the Continentals are considerably cheaper than the Michelins, Alex. If memory serves, (and that's iffy at best, <smile>) I think I have only had one set of Conti's on a truck and I believe they were factory but not certain. I'm gonna guess that you have experience with them? Reviews are pretty positive.
Oh yeah, I had the predecessor DWS on my R32 VW, they were a great do all tire. I have personally not had the "06" version but my buddy has a set on his Bullitt and he drives it hard and they hold up really well. The selling point is they truly are an all season tire. Wet weather especially, the ones I had were a little mushy on initial turn in but tightened up significantly when they wear down a little. Just to show how good they are a do all tire, here is a snapshot of me pushing snow with my front bumper in my R32 :) That car was a blast to drive in bad weather LOL
20160124_102354_Original.jpeg

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Same here. Had stang covered for past 3 weeks because of ice, snow and rain. Finally have a decent stretch of clear sunny but cold weather this week. Highs in 40s. I did have to jump start it Saturday morning :frown: but after three days of driving battery seems to be charged back up. It will stay out as long as roads are salt free. Hasn't been washed or ceramic detail sprayed since October. Holding up pretty well. It has been uncovered at times when rain only but dries off nicely.
02746349-1BAC-4C0D-8919-BF187790204A_1_105_c.jpeg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jxp1962

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Good choice. CRC Marine anti corrosion spray anything that starts to rust on the underside. I’m on Studded Nokian tires. A++ experience.

IMG_0097.jpeg
Ive got 6 cans of amsoil anti corrosion spray ready for the underside 👍

mindo389

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 50th AY Appearance Pkg.
Vehicle Showcase
I don't envy you guys up north with the snow and ice. It's basically monsoon season around here. We had roughly 12" of rain within a couple of days recently, so certain roads have to be avoided or risk getting flooded out.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Every year around this time, i go through this internal argument with myself….
My Cars in the garage, staying clean and salt free… i drive my truck… i wish i was driving a fun car…. But want to keep it clean and rust and salt free.

Do i drive the car? Get it all mucky with all the crud on our maine roads in the winter… pot holes, frost heaves, ice patches?
let the salt get under the car, into the crevices? Every year, my sensible side wins out and i keep the car locked up until april after the winter salt and sand is washed away and the roads are swept…

Its a long wait and internally, i go back and forth with pros and cons of storing the car for the winter…

Maybe its the fact that i am old… 61, maybe I've seen too many long winters…. Maybe its the stretch of good weather we are having… Maybe i just dont care anymore?

the car has been stored since late november. ITs gonna be freed and back on the road tomorrow.

Ill find a way to rinse the underside every week and im going to drive it, as long as its not snowing…. And i will stop missing the ride, and start riding the ride….

IMG_7652.jpeg
I used to run my 06GT all year round. First year I had it I almost put it into a tree with only 1'" of snow on ground and all season tires. After that I bought the cheapest set of rims from tire rack and mounted snow only firestones. That and 200lbs of rock salt in trunk did the trick. Did great in up to 6" of snow. Became a pain changing over to summer tires every year. The 21 GTCS does not get the same treatment 😀

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Mine was brought back to life last week when it warmed up and all the salt was rained off the roads. I think it sat 3 weeks.

I use UHP A/S tires, no need for race tires on the street. IMO.
Sponsored