Dealerships really ramping up the BS

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
If you change your own oil, what do you do with the old oil? The biggest issue there is around here is what do you do with the old, when you replace just about anything. It could be oil, paint, TV, appliances, dehumidifiers, wood, tree branches, tires, etc. Nowhere to go with any of it.
For a while, I had the same issue. Nobody would take my used oil. I was able to find a few independent shops that would take mine. Now, most of the auto parts stores will take it. But as I said previously, my time is worth something these days so Iā€™ll just pay the dealer to do it and they can take care of the disposal

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If you change your own oil, what do you do with the old oil?
Just do like my grandfather did, pour it on the ground. I asked him why he did this and he said, I'm just putting it back where it came from.

klink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Camaro SS, 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT
I take my dirty oil to the local fire stone, never had a problem dumping at their drum. Thereā€™s a lot of satisfaction in doing your own oil changes and I have been for many years even now as Iā€™m into my 60s I still enjoy it. But, itā€™s not for everybody, like some have rightfully pointed out. Itā€™s relatively cheap to pay somebody else to do it and then you can spend the time with your family. I find it pointless to denigrate those who make individual decisions that are best for them and their families.

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I am 67 and used to always change my own oil, but then we went full-time in a motorhome for 6 years to travel. Had to rely on others for my oil changes. Just started doing my own again, as I got tired of having so many places put to much oil in the vehicle. Seems like they do it right a couple of times and then screw it up.
Had 4 quarts to many on our Diesel motorhome on time.
I change mine now and use
Just do like my grandfather did, pour it on the ground. I asked him why he did this and he said, I'm just putting it back where it came from.
I Am ashamed to say we did that many years ago when we had land. Wasnā€™t near anything but still wasnā€™t smart.
Of coarse we didnā€™t wear seat belts and the legal DUI limit was .12. But most of the time the cop said ā€œ pour it out and drive homeā€

Sometimes I wonder how we all made it

Sponsored

Mitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser; 2022 MT GT/CS DMG
Vehicle Showcase
Went in today to get the recall done on my Mustang, the service manager comes out 20 minutes later with this laundry list of "recommended" items to be addressed, what a clown show it was. I had my car there 4 months ago for an oil change, rear shocks replaced (required to pass inspection), yearly inspection.

Hits me with all this...

Says my tires are showing wear and recommends one be replaced (just put brand new winter tires on 500 miles ago back in October)

Says need a new battery, says it should be reading 15 volts, but mine is only reading 14.7.... it's 12 degrees out.

Says I need an oil change, claims my oil is discolored (700 miles since last oil change, that they just did in October...)

Says I need an alignment, it's off by just a bit (um hello, snow tires, I'm not having them aligned for a few months a year of minimal driving)

Says my coolant is a bit low and needs topped off.

Says my fuel system needs flushed.

Says my breaks are worn but within spec, needs replaced.

So I tell him no and pick up my car and leave (after the recall work was done obviously) and I go home and pull in the garage and go to pop the hood, funny thing though, I have hood struts so you can't just drop the hood and have it close, you have to grab the front of the hood and pull it down, now with the weather we have been having (snow, salt etc) if you touch the car most anywhere, you leave prints, but, no prints anywhere.

So the tech never even opened the hood to even know if anything needed done or not.
Also keep in mind they claimed to have checked and found all that in the 20 minutes they had the car this morning, ya ok buddy.

So I check everything and not one thing on the list needed done, not a single one (ok MAYBE the alignment if we are being picky lol) but WOW talk about swinging for the fence here, they wanted to do all that at 165.00 an hour.

Needless to say, never going back.

For those asking it was
Parsons Interstate Ford LLC
In Shippensburg PA
Contact Ford and let them know what happened. You posting here wont do much. You let Ford know about a dishonest dealer then they can do something.
https://www.ford.com/help/contact/

I had a problem like this from a Toyota dealer and went straight to Toyota. In less than an hour I got contacted from Toyota and less than 24hrs I got a call from the GM at the dealer.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
If you change your own oil, what do you do with the old oil? The biggest issue there is around here is what do you do with the old, when you replace just about anything. It could be oil, paint, TV, appliances, dehumidifiers, wood, tree branches, tires, etc. Nowhere to go with any of it.
Your local dump site should accept all of that. Oil and other car fluids go to household hazardous waste section.

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Your local dump site should accept all of that. Oil and other car fluids go to household hazardous waste section.
Not sure about in todays times but years ago we sold our used oil..Guy would come around in a big truck and suck it out and pay cash.
So guessing autoparts store still do.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Thanks to our wonderful local government, we don't have a contract with waste management companies that handle most things that we need to dispose of. If I lived about 4 blocks south (different town), no problem. But, not here. Anyway, I can't really do most of the things I enjoy anymore, so I have no enthusiasm to do things I don't enjoy.

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Wow. I donā€™t change my oil either even though I have the capability and the space. Itā€™s a time thing. My kids are involved in a lot of things, to me being there for them is a much better way of using my time than changing my oil. Iā€™ll gladly pay someone else so I can have that 30-45 minutes with my family. Being there for oneā€™s family, thatā€™s being a real man, not whatever 100 year old concept you have in your head. Why it bothers you what other people choose to do or not do is beyond me. Just let it go dude. Or just go away.
Hey everyone, get a load of this guy not wanting to change his own oil. That's almost as bad as (checks notes) driving an AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION! They let anyone buy a Mustang these days I guess....

(/s)

Sponsored

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Hey everyone, get a load of this guy not wanting to change his own oil. That's almost as bad as (checks notes) driving an AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION! They let anyone buy a Mustang these days I guess....

(/s)
I bet if the power goes out in his house instead of climbing the pole and checking the breaker he calls the power company!!

klink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Camaro SS, 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT
I bet if the power goes out in his house instead of climbing the pole and checking the breaker he calls the power company!!
Good one lol

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
So I guess I shouldnā€™t be calling an electrician every time a light bulb burns out either?? šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

(/s)
Iā€™m about the least manly of men out there with my primitive automatic transmission and lack of desire to change oil. I peel carrots before I eat them and eat my steak with a knife and fork too šŸ˜®šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
So I guess I shouldnā€™t be calling an electrician every time a light bulb burns out either?? šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Nope and you should also check the pole at the front where it comes in. The one that says ā€œ high voltageā€
Sponsored