Sponsored

Curious on peoples thoughts

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
^Well at least you are being nice and sharing.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Just remember this. There's no replacement for displacement. PERIOD! :headbang:
A turbo essentially increases the "displacement" with boost. Boosting to 15 PSI on a 2.5L engine is basically creating the same "displacement" as a NA 5.0L engine.

Turbochargers give "displacement on demand".

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Arent these threads fun?:lol::doh::doh:OP you can make anything fast. 4 bangers, V6, V8. Longevity will go to the bigger engine when modding. Just get what you want and have fun. It's a Mustang. You can't go wrong with what ever engines inside it.

murphy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Now I am ready...
:lol: :cheers:

There are more GT guys on here that are true car enthusiasts and have an appreciation for all cars and the car's engine. But those few GT guys that have "I bought a Mustang so I got a V8" or "no replacement for displacement" or "louder is faster" really are fckn clueless. Your bigger is better arrogant mentality shows off your ignorance. And your ignorance is exemplified when you say it costs thousands of dollars in mods for an EB to achieve stock GT power and that the GT can achieve 700whp with bolt ons. Real genius. Another hobby of mine is herpetology (the study of reptiles). And over the many years, I have heard every rediculous story imaginable about snakes. And the main reason why so many people are afraid of snakes and make up these rediculous stories is because of their lack of knowledge. Same thing goes here.

Starman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT convertible
:lol: :cheers:

There are more GT guys on here that are true car enthusiasts and have an appreciation for all cars and the car's engine. But those few GT guys that have "I bought a Mustang so I got a V8" or "no replacement for displacement" or "louder is faster" really are fckn clueless. Your bigger is better arrogant mentality shows off your ignorance. And your ignorance is exemplified when you say it costs thousands of dollars in mods for an EB to achieve stock GT power and that the GT can achieve 700whp with bolt ons. Real genius. Another hobby of mine is herpetology (the study of reptiles). And over the many years, I have heard every rediculous story imaginable about snakes. And the main reason why so many people are afraid of snakes and make up these rediculous stories is because of their lack of knowledge. Same thing goes here.
As I posted before, I'm a fan of the Mustang period. My favorite car I ever owned (3 of them) had a 2.0 to 2.2 liter engines with 240 hp, it wasn't all that fast (in a strait line). I also had a car that I liked with a 2.5 liter turbo engine with 300 HP. But after reading this I also can understand there may be people with sticks up their buttox about this issue on both sides with the need to rationalize their purchase. You complain about the V8 guys while you are the perfect similar example on the flip side. Im confused as to why you call them clueless without laying down the argument as to why. You only bring up horsepower. If that is your rational, there is no replacement for displacement. This isn't the year 2000 when 4 bangers were starting to hit 100 hp per liter nor 2006 when V6's started hitting 100 hp per liter. This is 2016 and V8's are hitting 100 hp per liter normally aspirated.

We all know the Mustang is a fat car (heavy) and as a V8 owner it gives me grief, I personally dont like the idea of having a 4 cylinder turbo in a car that weighs 3700 pounds it really seems like a waist.

But you put that engine in an Sti or S2000... a small light weight car and then we are talking. But a Mustang... not so much in my opinion.

In the least, the V8 can easily gain power to deal with the weight. I cant imagine adding a ton of power to a 4 banger with a turbo in this car and having to deal with the physics (such things as high PSI turbo lag) of how that actually will work in a 3700 pound car. Take your 4 banger and what it takes to make it 435 hp and its going to be utter craap to drive in any real world situation.... Have fun in my 5 mph 1 hour long bumper to bumper traffic commute for example.

So take the ecoboost how it is without modification and it has its own redeeming qualities and is a great car for what that is engineered to do (mix of performance, efficiency and economy). Just dont compare it to the V8, they are in different leagues.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I dunno man, pretty much every leader in the auto industry is beginning to disagree.

Even Ford's #1 flagship race car is a turbo car, and not a V8.
The OE industry and certain racing categories are under the gun to develop and showcase fuel-efficiency. IOW, they are under artificial pressure to go toward small-displacement engines featuring forced induction (turbocharging in particular). The average enthusiast is not.

Yeah, maybe the Hellion twin turbo kit which is basically a bolt on system (but is really stretching that moniker IMHO).
It's more than stretching it, it goes completely against the meaning.
Any perception of what constitutes "bolt-on" likely depends on how deep into engine mods you've already gone. Sure, if you've never gone beyond the usual maintenance, installation of a cold air kit, maybe starter or alternator replacement, or swapping to a set of underdrive pulleys, it'd feel like a whole new level. But if you've done most everything associated with an engine build but the actual machining of its block and heads, probably not.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
A turbo essentially increases the "displacement" with boost. Boosting to 15 PSI on a 2.5L engine is basically creating the same "displacement" as a NA 5.0L engine.

Turbochargers give "displacement on demand".
As long as you're getting boost.

But sometimes you aren't, and boost doesn't always "come in" the same way every time (kind of another way of describing how linear - or not - the power delivery is relative to what your right foot is doing). Linear = predictable = easier to drive the corners.

Getting on the throttle while running through a medium-speed sweeping turn requires greater anticipation and attention to timing in my wife's LGT than it does in my S197. This being at essentially identical and somewhat "brisk" speeds.

Norm

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yes, heavily modified, your EB won't have the power potential of a twin turbo or supercharged V8, due to the mechanical displacement of the 4-cylinder vs 5.0l V8 engines, but a blown V8 will cost many thousands more. Compared to a stock V8, a modified EB can get there. You may be close to the price of a factory V8 in the end.
Exactly, I know a few people jumped on the "No replacement ..." comment, but IF you compare the ultimate potential, there's no question about it. FI smaller displacement vs. NA larger? Well, yeah, two different means to [roughly] the same end, FI 2.3L vs. FI 5.0L, both built, max boost? There's a different outcome.

I went with the V8 because I love the sound (reason #1) and wanted a healthy power-to-weight ratio AND a factory warranty. If I just wanted cheap 400 rwhp, a modified EB might have done the trick.
We're on the same page, I really dig on the glorious sound from the Ford 5 liter, and just about _all_ domestic V8s (in varying degrees). There's something about the ownership experience of a V8 powered Mustang that really pushes my buttons. :cheers:

murphy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
As I posted before, I'm a fan of the Mustang period. My favorite car I ever owned (3 of them) had a 2.0 to 2.2 liter engines with 240 hp, it wasn't all that fast (in a strait line). I also had a car that I liked with a 2.5 liter turbo engine with 300 HP. But after reading this I also can understand there may be people with sticks up their buttox about this issue on both sides with the need to rationalize their purchase. You complain about the V8 guys while you are the perfect similar example on the flip side. Im confused as to why you call them clueless without laying down the argument as to why. You only bring up horsepower. If that is your rational, there is no replacement for displacement. This isn't the year 2000 when 4 bangers were starting to hit 100 hp per liter nor 2006 when V6's started hitting 100 hp per liter. This is 2016 and V8's are hitting 100 hp per liter normally aspirated.

We all know the Mustang is a fat car (heavy) and as a V8 owner it gives me grief, I personally dont like the idea of having a 4 cylinder turbo in a car that weighs 3700 pounds it really seems like a waist.

But you put that engine in an Sti or S2000... a small light weight car and then we are talking. But a Mustang... not so much in my opinion.

In the least, the V8 can easily gain power to deal with the weight. I cant imagine adding a ton of power to a 4 banger with a turbo in this car and having to deal with the physics (such things as high PSI turbo lag) of how that actually will work in a 3700 pound car. Take your 4 banger and what it takes to make it 435 hp and its going to be utter craap to drive in any real world situation.... Have fun in my 5 mph 1 hour long bumper to bumper traffic commute for example.

So take the ecoboost how it is without modification and it has its own redeeming qualities and is a great car for what that is engineered to do (mix of performance, efficiency and economy). Just dont compare it to the V8, they are in different leagues.
Those that are clueless are the ones have a problem with the Ecoboost and V6 models and say "it's not a Mustang unless it has a V8". I bought the Ecoboost because, like you, I came from turbo small displacement engine cars. Being that I was trading in a Focus ST with mild bolt ons and a tune, I knew what the Ecoboost engines were capable of. Plus I wanted premium interior. So with a few performance mods plus tune, I own an Ecoboost Premium Mustang that can run with and saved thousands (including the cost of the mods and labor) compared to a Mustang Premium GT. And as far as reliability, with the exception of freezing temps and snow ice covered roads, I drive my car hard every day. I'm not one of the Ecoboost owners who drives it like a Prius and is calculating their mpgs. There have been posts by GT guys claiming better gas mileage than what I get and have ever seen. So the point is, not every Mustang owner wants a GT. My reason for wanting an Ecoboost shouldn't be frowned upon because it's not a GT. I don't think my Mustang is superior to the guy who owns a base model. The community forums I came from, every one in that forum was an enthusiast and we didn't argue or put down the lesser form. There was no Focus ST guys vs Fiesta ST guys, STi guys vs WRX guys, Golf R guys vs GTI guys, there was cammaraderie within the makes and we argued with the outsiders. Here, if it's not a GT you're an outsider. Not all GT owners think like this but there are quite a few. At the end of the day, everybody here has a shared interest in the Mustang regardless of engine or trim level and I guess I just don't get all the hate unless it's a V8.

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
My 4 banger is louder then a stock gt :lol:

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The ecoboost is a better engine for me given the fact I have to commute in a GT and even my truck gets better gas mileage, but I bought the GT because I like V8 sound, haha. The EB was nice to drive and allowing myself some imagination of maybe another 30-40 HP from bolt ons/tune and I would have been more than happy, even stock. I got a Harley because of the sound it makes, I got a V8 for the same reason. IF I didn't care about the sound, I'd have an EB PP without a doubt. I did get 24.1 MPG on my trip home from my dealer, but that was 90% highway and zero stop and go. The second you press the gas pedal... burning dinosaurs.

AZsenior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
(2) 2016 Mustangs, GTPP & Eco-boostPP
I'm an old car guy, so this is just my two cents.

I'm also unclear as to the question, but I have both cars. The turbo is not as quick, but feels much lighter, (probably because it is), and is begging for some mods to turn it loose. I am continually surprised by this car. It's fun.

The GT is more "in your face" V8 grunt, sounds cool, and handles well. Without a doubt, this one could be easily modified into something truly fast.

Before I bought these I did not understand what the attraction was, and why so many of them end up with "go faster" parts installed. Now that I have them it's easier for me to try and get it.

For some time now, Ford has produced a vehicle with enormous potential. They had to do it with a lot of constraints on price, government restrictions, and different design schools of thought. I don't think anyone can argue that the Mustang isn't a success.

Just look at the size of the aftermarket for these cars. I don't think it matters if the car is brand new or is an older model, you can certainly find a way to make it into something you enjoy.

My advice is to find a recommendation for a trusted dealer, and drive all the models. Then find one that's gently used and save your money for the parts you will inevitably want to install. It's a great car.

Good luck,

Frank

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Frank, I think it went something like this . . . suppose you tuned/tweaked an EB to the point where it had about the same power at the wheels as an unmodified GT - would the EB then feel faster than the GT? IOW, how would they compare if there wasn't a hundred or so HP difference?

I think that more than just dyno numbers are needed.

Norm

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
my car dynoed 300/358 but the guy started the dyno at 3.250 so I couldn't see what my real peak tq was. Obviously I'm not at gt power yet but around 3k rpm the cars a blast to drive. I do have a meth kit coming in soon so maybe I'll be a lot closer

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
From the looks of it OP started this thread because he has a bit of buyers remorse. As a v6 2015 mustang owner i know a lot about it and had my fair share of "shouldve got the v8"....after a few months that remorse subsided and i fking enjoy the hell out of my car, i look forward to every drive and enjoy every drive. I still get compliments on it.

OP, dont sweat being an EB owner. Think of it as a mustang svo, that car gets a lot of respect and it too was a 2.3L turbo. If you absolutely cannot fathom that you have a 4cyl, trade in your EB for the GT, take the negative equity hit, and now you have a louder faster toy, you will post of the trade up to a GT on these forums and now you will have impressed maybe 2-3 dudes here for all but a few seconds. Mustangs are great cars all around, im sure you still get a lot of compliments on your car. I sure get a lot on my v6 and most of the insults i receive are from kids on the internet that probably dont even own a car or their parents bought their v8 for them and now they feel like they accomplished something in life.
Sponsored