Sponsored

Coyote engine oil for the track?

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
Clearly you are just a trolling moron. A poor one at that.

And yes, guys who race are running 50 weight oils, like Driven FR50. I'm not going to run around to everyone's trailer at the track and snap a pick of their oil stash to satisfy some internet troll.

I run 40-50 weight depending on the season (Spring v Summer v Fall)

Now I'm going to pause and wait for you to respond with some poor grammar and loosely constructed logic.
50wt? What - are you running a Briggs and Stratton? :hail::hail::hail:
Sponsored

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You two guys are taking yourselves and this stuff WAAAY too seriously. Hopefully you will buy your next car on your own rather than having your Daddy buy it for you. Then you'll feel like Big Boys!

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
You two guys are taking yourselves and this stuff WAAAY too seriously. Hopefully you will buy your next car on your own rather than having your Daddy buy it for you. Then you'll feel like Big Boys!
I guess since we're talking about being a big boy, maybe next car you'll buy is gonna be a manual so you can show up at the track like big boy :lol:

Sponsored

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure thing 5.Br0. You still haven't denied that your Daddy bought you that car. While we're at it, your avatar pic is overly dramatic ~~~~~as you stare pensively out over the race track~~~~

.....5.Br0....jeez...it shows your age.

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#workedhardforit

Knew it!

OP
OP
spiller

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
So getting back to the original topic. A 40w is good for the track, will it satisfy daily duties also? Some guys have said they run xWx for the street and xWx for the track. I can't imagine changing oil before and after every track day.

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see you're driving a Porsche, what does Porsche recommend in your owners manual? Manufacturers are not beholden to using lighter, thinner oils just to meet fuel economy standards like other members of this forum keep spouting as gospel.

Folks here always seem to think a heavier oil provides more protection, but there is no science behind their claims. My advice would be to stick to what the manufacturers recommendations are for oil weight and grade.

And take a look at https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/ This person is an engineer and has some pretty extensive documentation about oil, oil testing, and viscosity selection. Don't base your decision on myth.

Sponsored
OP
OP
spiller

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
I see you're driving a Porsche, what does Porsche recommend in your owners manual? Manufacturers are not beholden to using lighter, thinner oils just to meet fuel economy standards like other members of this forum keep spouting as gospel.

Folks here always seem to think a heavier oil provides more protection, but there is no science behind their claims. My advice would be to stick to what the manufacturers recommendations are for oil weight and grade.

And take a look at https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/ This person is an engineer and has some pretty extensive documentation about oil, oil testing, and viscosity selection. Don't base your decision on myth.
Porsche recommends 5w40 for the GT3. Interestingly, the oil cap on the GT reads 5w20 but Ford has advised 5w30 for cars in Australia to account for the warmer climate.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Folks here always seem to think a heavier oil provides more protection, but there is no science behind their claims.
Dude, how many times do we have to say that that's NOT why we use heavier oils (eg. because we think it provides more protection). You just don't seem to quite understand that, so you just spew off incorrect assumptions about others just to make yourself look better.

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche recommends 5w40 for the GT3. Interestingly, the oil cap on the GT reads 5w20 but Ford has advised 5w30 for cars in Australia to account for the warmer climate.
Thanks Spiller for the sane reply. I'd use what the manual suggests, but of course, it's up to you. I could be wrong, but I don't believe there are any chemical or mechanical engineers on this blog. I'm not one.

So, I do rely on the manufacturer engineer's recommendations on things like oil weight and grade, and not other folks that are making suggestions based on their own :crazy:beliefs and other misinformation out there on the interwebs.

Here's my opinion: As manufacturers torture test their engines, for durability, I don't believe they are running a heavier weight oil on the torture tests, then recommend a lighter oil just to meet CAFE. If an engine is designed to run on the recommended fluid, the bearing clearances, roller rockers, cams, and everything else in there is part of that design. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Porsche, and others know that high performance models will be abused and tracked. They're not going recommend an oil that won't work.

As for the "you have to run heavier oil on the track because it gets hot crowd", that's your opinion and you are entitled to it, but there's no basis for the recommendation other than their own pretzel logic.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
As for the "you have to run heavier oil on the track because it gets hot crowd", that's your opinion and you are entitled to it, but there's no basis for the recommendation other than their own pretzel logic.
So then why did Ford, the very people you rely on for your oil recommendation, recommend 5w20 for regular use and 5w50 for track pack equipped Mustangs both of which had the same exact engine?

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So then why did Ford, the very people you rely on for your oil recommendation, recommend 5w20 for regular use and 5w50 for track pack equipped Mustangs both of which had the same exact engine?
And I asked you sir in an earlier post in this very thread, are you sure that a problem did not arise or there were indeed internal changes to the engine that changed the oil requirements?

Why did they remove the recommendation? Can you tell us why please? Did it load the oil pump too much at high RPM? Did it foam up too much? Oil Pressure too high? Did it not cool engine internals enough? Did they change main/rod/cam oil clearances? Perhaps bearing metallurgy changes?

I don't know those answers, and neither do you. So we're back to the manufacturer recommendations then.

By all means, run what you want.
Sponsored

Last edited: