Sponsored

Coyote Engine Build

silverstang9120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I have an 2015 Mustang GT automatic twin turbo.
Question I have is I have an 2011 Mustang 5.0 engine core in my garage from another build. Will my 2011 engine work in my 2015 mustang, meaning will everything bolt up and plug in. If not what would I need to rob off my 2015 engine to make it work. Was leaving the 2015 engine alone so I can return it to stock later. Was sleeving the 2011 engine and do a full built motor.
Thanks
Sponsored

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
From StangTV, "The second generation Coyote engine incorporates many of the positives from the ‘12-’13 Boss 302 ‘Roadrunner’ engine. Hence why the current ‘15+ Mustang GT is rated at 435 horsepower and 400 lb-ft of torque at the flywheel, bringing it closer to the Boss 302’s 444 horsepower and 380 lb-ft of torque.

Some of the major changes include: larger intake and exhaust valves, revised intake and exhaust camshafts, stiffer valve springs for high RPM operation, new cylinder head castings, sintered forged connecting rods from the Boss 302, redesigned pistons, a rebalanced forged crankshaft, a new composite intake manifold, and a new pair of variable intake camshaft mid-lock phasers.

The second generation Coyote engine block can be used with any of the first generation components, albeit this block does feature the addition of a return passage that helps divert oil from the oil filter adapter. It’s also important to note that the new engine block uses 11mm head bolts as well."

http://www.stangtv.com/news/why-the-second-gen-coyote-engine-trumps-the-first/

Last edited:

Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 300A w/ Brembo's
Several "small" things are different between gen1 (11-14) and gen 2 (15-17) Coyote engines. The head bolts are one difference, the oil filter adapters are block specific, the timing equipment (cams, phasers, crank sprocket, etc) are different, the 2015 has better heads, etc.

So, if you want to use the gen 1 engine in your 2015, you will have to do a few things to mix and match parts. To start with the block, you will need to use the 11 oil filter adapter when using the 11 block. You will also need to use the 12mm head bolts and gaskets if using the 11 heads (though I recommend not using them unless you send them out to get ported as you'll kinda be taking a step back). You'll also need to use the 15 timing equipment and cams no matter what.

There are a few other things I'm sure but typically people do the opposite of what you're doing lol

Ford Performance actually has a good pdf explaining the differences but I'm having trouble finding it.