Count Down to Detroit Auto Show 2017!!

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Would have to give props to the Ford guys if they are able "surprise" with a new big dog mustang without a single leak! What are the chances? There are all kinds of spy pics of the upcoming ZR1. How are they keeping it so tightly hid?
That would be incredible, but here we have heard that the late 18 early 19, Cobra/GT500 will be here. Just don't know what to expect as far as power plant. TT v6 or v8 5.0 or 5.2 cpc supercharged. Hmmmm
Sponsored

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
I'd love to have a ecoboost V6 halo mustang. Why not? More tq, less weight. People like you amuse me with your old fashion thinking. Kinda reminds me of the old big block guys saying they would never buy a muscle car with a small block!!! Where are they now?
I'm glad that people like me amuse you with our old fashioned thinking. I love V8's regardless of size, but do prefer big blocks. The sound of a V8 is intoxicating, IMHO, and I only buy V8 powered cars for my toys. I love my Coyote - despite being a small black - as it sounds delicious and makes great power. I love the 6.4L Hemi in my '16 Scat Pack because it makes beautiful, deep bass music! While not technically a big block, the 6.4L is 392 cubic inches and it performs like a big block with such rich torque.

I enjoy the power of Ford's V6 EcoBoosts (2.7, 3.0, and 3.5), and am really impressed with the 3.0L in the '17 MKZ AWD after spending some time at Las Vegas Motor Speedway a few months ago flogging them (Lincoln Dealer Meeting). But, as awesome as the EcoBoost V6's perform, they just lack the soul & sound of a V8.

We have 5 senses and hearing is one of them. An engine has to satisfy as many of my senses as possible to earn my money.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
I'm glad that people like me amuse you with our old fashioned thinking. I love V8's regardless of size, but do prefer big blocks. The sound of a V8 is intoxicating, IMHO, and I only buy V8 powered cars for my toys. I love my Coyote - despite being a small black - as it sounds delicious and makes great power. I love the 6.4L Hemi in my '16 Scat Pack because it makes beautiful, deep bass music! While not technically a big block, the 6.4L is 392 cubic inches and it performs like a big block with such rich torque.

I enjoy the power of Ford's V6 EcoBoosts (2.7, 3.0, and 3.5), and am really impressed with the 3.0L in the '17 MKZ AWD after spending some time at Las Vegas Motor Speedway a few months ago flogging them (Lincoln Dealer Meeting). But, as awesome as the EcoBoost V6's perform, they just lack the soul & sound of a V8.

We have 5 senses and hearing is one of them. An engine has to satisfy as many of my senses as possible to earn my money.
I get all of that. I'm 46 years old. But I also know the V8 days are numbered. Less than 30 years ago people would of laughed T a 350Hp 4 cylinder and say it would never beat a V8. Well the times are a changing. I love the sound of a V8 over a 4 or 6 cylinder. But power and speed are where I make my choice, not sound.
If I had the choice of a 289 cobra or a 427 cobra, I'd take the 289 hands down. If I had the choice of a 600hp ecoboost V6 halo mustang vs a 500hp V8 I'd take the v6 ecoboost.

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A PP1 A10 Magneride
I get all of that. I'm 46 years old. But I also know the V8 days are numbered. Less than 30 years ago people would of laughed T a 350Hp 4 cylinder and say it would never beat a V8. Well the times are a changing. I love the sound of a V8 over a 4 or 6 cylinder. But power and speed are where I make my choice, not sound.
If I had the choice of a 289 cobra or a 427 cobra, I'd take the 289 hands down. If I had the choice of a 600hp ecoboost V6 halo mustang vs a 500hp V8 I'd take the v6 ecoboost.
Reading others posts over the last few days tells me they're ready to give up on the V8....as of yesterday. It's not going away that quickly, just like oil isn't going to disappear for good next year and just like stopping all countries from producing any type of emissions is going to have a widespread effect on the weather in the immediate future.

Repeating those views, which they are entitled to, doesn't make it come true, no matter how many times they say it.
Those of us who still want a V8, are not oblivious to the fact that there eventually will be a time when the V8 will be forced, due to the always invasive government, to finally disappear. That time is not now and isn't in the near future either. For those who think it is, I think you're sorely mistaken and are oblivious to all the reasons why it's not going to happen that quickly.:crazy:

I don't mind us having the choice of a Ecoboost 4 cylinder or a V6, but don't try to tell me that the V8 is going to disappear because it's a foregone conclusion that a turbo 4 or 6 is the only way to accomplish government fuel economy standards.
Thirty years ago people would have laughed at someone claiming 500hp out of a naturally aspirated V8 with a little over 300 cubic inches. Yet today we have one in the GT350 and it's a FPC too. Unheard of for a domestic produced engine. That would have been laughed at just 10 years ago!
Adding a turbo to an engine to gain power has been around for a long time.
In many ways, Ford took a lazy approach to accomplishing the government mandated fuel economy standards by adopting turbos across a broad range of engines. This early adoption was smart because it allowed them to create a brand identity that has remained consistent for the last few years. Whether it's true or not, people now equate Ecoboost with fuel economy.

Last edited:

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
Just saw the info online about the new refreshed 2018 F150 and the new diesel engine... still nothing about the Mustang or Gt500 though

Sponsored

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Did you guys see they released the Ford GT epa numbers and the best they could get was 11/18 mpg!! In a 2900 lb car! Honestly that's sad. The HC and Z06 get better mpg with SC V8's! I hope ford decides no need to put the Eco v6 in the mustang if you want 600+ hp.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If i'm buying a supercar i could honestly care less about the fuel economy, if i'm buying a commuter or work vehicle it would be more important to me. I'm curious to hear how the driving experience is.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
The next generation Ford GT will probably hybrid or all electric.
Carroll Shelby will be turning over in his grave!
RIP Mr Shelby.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
I saw those EPA numbers.

A 2005 GT weighs 3450 lbs, or so, and has 550 hp.
A 2017 GT weighs 2850 lbs, or so, and has "at least 600" Say 625.

2017 gets 11/18, the 2005 got 12/19.

Id like to see a 2017 GT, tuned to 550 hp, and weighed down to 3450. Then see what MPG it get.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The next generation Ford GT will probably hybrid or all electric.
Carroll Shelby will be turning over in his grave!
RIP Mr Shelby.
Shelby put a small block high revving v8 when everyone else was putting big blocks in performance cars. I don't think he had any prejudices on what a performance car is or isn't except that it would perform.

Sponsored

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
If i'm buying a supercar i could honestly care less about the fuel economy, if i'm buying a commuter or work vehicle it would be more important to me. I'm curious to hear how the driving experience is.
Completely missing my point. I would careless as well. In my Z06 I have 3400 miles and I've average 9.9 mpg. But if your going to claim the V6 Eco as being your replacement with government regulations being part of the reason I don't see the mpgs from this to make it worth your while. Think about it 600+ Hp in your halo mustang isn't going to be some significant difference then the GT, and you have a much heavier car. 600+ hp is easily achieved with a V8 with similar mpg.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Completely missing my point. I would careless as well. In my Z06 I have 3400 miles and I've average 9.9 mpg. But if your going to claim the V6 Eco as being your replacement with government regulations being part of the reason I don't see the mpgs from this to make it worth your while. Think about it 600+ Hp in your halo mustang isn't going to be some significant difference then the GT, and you have a much heavier car. 600+ hp is easily achieved with a V8 with similar mpg.
I understand the point that you are making but there are other reasons beyond purely MPG to move to a 6 cylinder engine

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Such as? I don't think there's that much of a weight savings.
Primarily size and corporately Ford has decided to move towards turbo charged cars, "ecoboost" so it makes sense that their halo car should share that moniker and design principal as well.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Primarily size and corporately Ford has decided to move towards turbo charged cars, "ecoboost" so it makes sense that their halo car should share that moniker and design principal as well.
Ecoboost isn't just the V6 though. They could go to a smaller V8 with turbos and still call it ecoboost.
Sponsored