Sponsored

Convertible Top crackling/creaking

Gurion4887

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Cabrio Manual Bright Red
While driving I am getting a constant crackling/creaking noise coming from the front/left portion of my convertible top... right above my head. Anyone else have this issue? It is driving me insane. Between this, misaligned body panels, rattling from the light knob & faulty fuel gauge all in under a week of owning the car - I'm furious! What the actual F Ford?
Sponsored

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
While driving I am getting a constant crackling/creaking noise coming from the front/left portion of my convertible top... right above my head. Anyone else have this issue? It is driving me insane. Between this, misaligned body panels, rattling from the light knob & faulty fuel gauge all in under a week of owning the car - I'm furious! What the actual F Ford?
I understand where you're coming from. Have any of the issues been resolved yet? Shoot me a PM with your VIN, mileage, name, phone number, and dealer info. I'm here to help.

Jeff

mtorzews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT convertible
I have the same noise. I'll try to figure out a fix myself for now.

hipporo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Koji
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 RubyRed
I have the same issue... Will dealer be able to fix this?

Cuppy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ruby Red V6 Vert 051A
I haven't noticed any creaking as my top is down most of the time. Taking a trip this weekend and will keep an "ear" on it. What I do have is occasionally when I put the top up the right hand side bracket/hinge will snap and pop when close to the header. My current fix for this is to close the top about 3/4 of the way...stop and let the top settle a bit, then continue. So far this has worked. Anybody else experiencing this?

Sponsored

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have the same noise. I'll try to figure out a fix myself for now.
I have the same issue... Will dealer be able to fix this?
I haven't noticed any creaking as my top is down most of the time. Taking a trip this weekend and will keep an "ear" on it. What I do have is occasionally when I put the top up the right hand side bracket/hinge will snap and pop when close to the header. My current fix for this is to close the top about 3/4 of the way...stop and let the top settle a bit, then continue. So far this has worked. Anybody else experiencing this?
Hey guys,

If you plan on having a dealer look into this, send over a PM. Include your VIN, mileage, name, phone number, and dealer info; I'll enlist assistance on my end as well. :)

Jeff

TripleshotMcC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible, 50 Year Edition
My top just started creaking last week, at about 2000 miles. Started out slight but seems to be getting louder by the day. I think it's coming from the header at the top of the windshield, but can't narrow it down as it only happens while I'm driving and it's over on the pass. side, where I can't reach or get an ear close.

I am going into the dealer for my 1st oil change soon and will ask them to ride with me to check it out. If any of you find out what this is or how to fix it, PLEASE POST! This is driving me crazy!

Jdvoyles

60nOut
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert Ruby/10 Fusion Sprt/08 Expedition
So far the only issue I have is when raising the top it will catch and make a popping noise. It may happen 1 out of every 6 times. I took it to the dealer and they basically said "the guys will will raise a few times and if it doesn't happen I will basically have to wait until it fails completely or at least it is doing it every time. Needless to they didn't fix it.

MichelBee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic EB Convertible
I picked up my car last week and noticed the same issue. It's very annoying considering the car sat at the plant for 10 weeks on a quality hold.

What I did notice is if I lower the window just a little bit the noise disappears. I think it might be contact between the glass and the seals. I could be wrong.

I did test a couple of other convertibles on some bumpy roads and the problem wasn't apparent on them.

Anybody here get a solution?

TripleshotMcC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No solution yet, still driving me crazy. At least the weather has cooperated for the most part and I can drive w/the top down most of the time and avoid it. But, put it up on the way to work this morning and ARG! I need to get into the dealer and have them look at this.

Sponsored

MichelBee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic EB Convertible
Took mine to the dealer last week. They acknowledge there is a problem but they could not correct the issue. They hear the noise but they can't isolate the cause.

They have sent a request to Ford for guidance. I haven't heard back from them. I hope this is not one of these problems that gets ignored hoping people will give up.

Not to be complaining all the time. The rest of car is solid. It's the only noise/rattle I can hear. The car is a joy to drive top down.

TripleshotMcC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MichelBee, keep us posted. I am still going crazy when my top is up, but, you're right, top down, all joy!

Cheers!
:cheers:

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
Had the same noise for the first time yesterday. Was driving on a very rough/uneven road and the front wheels were tilting right on one bump while rears were tilting left on the previous one. I guess it was the perfect road for "cowl shake". I head the exact sound you described.

Lucky for me, after 5k miles that was the one and only time it did it. So I'm guessing something may be misaligned on yours?

nezlon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible
Same issue for me too.

I've had my Ecoboost convertible for two months and the same noises right above my head. If I push up with my hand on the frame, it mostly goes away, so I'm thinking some bushing may have dislodged or needs to be installed. Hopefully there is a fix in the works b/c it's driving me nucking futs!

bbjan38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
Fix for 2015 Mustang Conv.-Noise When Hits Bump

For the last seven months of ownership, whenever the vehicle hit a bump or depression in the road, a popping/creaking noise came from the dash(we thought). After several attempts to correct, the dealer finally isolated the noise to the header at the top of the windshield- where the top mates with the frame. The dealer lubricated the latches/alignment pins, but the noise continued. I decided to perform my own troubleshooting. I noticed when you turned the convertible latch handle from inside the car to let the top down, the noise abated. I studied the convertible top from the underside and noticed the alignment pins were metal, and when you put the top down, the pins settled into a "metal" socket, i.e., metal on metal. I purchased two rubber grommets that fit the alignment pins (pushed the grommet up to the top of the pin) and tested the corrected action. No more noise. Problem solved for 30 cents. The rubber grommets were 1/2 inch in diameter with a hole in the center about 1/4 inch. Hopes this helps those with similar problems.
Sponsored