Sponsored

Convertible as a daily driver?

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
Ever since I first started riding motorcycles, I cannot own a car that's not a convertible. There's no other feeling and it has been doing great as my DD. Just needs a set of winter rubber for snow, but that's a small price to pay (30 minutes & $50 to swap and balance all 4) for this wonderful feeling.
Sponsored

gofastguy

NEO Mustang Club
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2007 Shelby GT#3040
And the heated and cooled seats do a lot to extend your convertible driving season for those who live in climatically challenged areas like the Midwest.

RubyKojote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Why not renting one for a day and see for yourself.
That is what my wife and I did. Took a little vacation for a long weekend and rented a convertible. My wife has always been one to have the windows up because of her hair so I knew that renting a convertible would be my only time I would ever drive one. She surprised me and loved it. The top was down every time we drove it!!! Fast forward a year….when our daily driver died on us we went to look at cars. I mentioned about looking at the new 2015 Mustang figuring it would be a no go until she gave me the things she had to have if we got one. Get this….

1. It had to be a 5.0
2. It had to be a manual transmission
3. It had to be Ruby Red
4. It had to be loaded (401A)
5. And it had to be a convertible!
:headbang:
She absolutely loves the car and it has made a great daily driver! Im keeping both the car :ford: and my awesome wife!!!! :first:

jdpatt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt convertible Triple yellow 50th Anniversary
We sold our '98 GT convertible for a new s550. It's also a GT. 100% stock. We've had it since Feb. the car is awesome to say the least. Compared to the '98 the ride is so much better. Almost no cowl shake at all. I'd drive mine everyday if I could. Ours it a 3 car for us and only comes out on nice days. If you need to drive one first just drive a GT. that's what we did and fell in love with the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

friendgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I saw a conv. the other day at a dealer's store (with top down of course).

I noticed that the mechanisms (left/right) are NOT protected with any cover as you may expect.

what if drops inside mechanisms some kind of debris i.e. tree leaves etc?

HBTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
There are tonneau covers you can put over the holes if you want. I have been driving mine with the top down almost every day since May and have not had any trouble with debris getting in to the mechanism.

Rough Hollow Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
There are "caps" that supposedly come with the convertibles that cover up those "holes" so that debris does not get in that mechanism. I keep my "caps" on all the time as my baby lives topless in my garage. The new S550 verts ride so much nicer with the independent rear suspension. I can only imagine how great a convertible would be in the Greek countryside!

deep south

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB auto convertible & Citroen C3
I saw a conv. the other day at a dealer's store (with top down of course).

I noticed that the mechanisms (left/right) are NOT protected with any cover as you may expect.

what if drops inside mechanisms some kind of debris i.e. tree leaves etc?
The "caps" are delivered with the car to fit those gaps. The early US deliveries didn't get them at first, but all new convertibles built in the last few months have them in the trunk (boot) from the factory. The early customers had them shipped direct when they were available.

They quickly snap in and out of place before/after you lower the roof. I am surprised the dealer didn't have them in place as they do make it look smoother - maybe they didn't want to risk them being "picked up" by someone!

friendgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see. That explains it.
But I'm surprised for the manually install/uninstall covers for 2015 model .

Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
By the way, one of the best times for a vert is at night. It can be amazing with the smells and night sky, cool air and generally quieter environment. Make sure you get the premium with the heated seats! It's a terrific luxury you will not regret.
One of my kid's favorite experiences in my Vert was driving home at night on the 4th of July, seeing the fireworks overhead from the neighborhoods was really cool. I love driving on a warm summer night with the top down.

To the OP, this is also my DD 40 miles each way. Will drive our Expedition when the weather gets really bad, but it is definitely not obnoxious with the top up and, has been said by others, is quite nice with the top down as well. :)

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app

mpwillis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Vert, '92 911 Cabrio
Mine is my DD, as have been 4 verts (911, 2 saabs, audi) before that. I go in early, and early morning top-down commutes are GREAT! No leaks rain or carwash.
Also, I have installed a windscreen. While this Mustang probably has less noise/buffet than some of my other verts, the windscreen cuts it to virtually nothing. Keeps the cooler wind off the back of your neck and really extends the driving season. Great for a DD. Shown on other post here. http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=814531#post814531
Also in that post is another link to discussion about top braces (called a bar in the parts manual). These elbow shaped bars run from top hinge to either side of the rear window - male plastic plug fits into female fitting on either side of the window - near electrical fittings but not part of them. This bar is coming onplugged - quite a few verts experiencing this. Seems to fail in a non-catastrophic way, but fail non-the-less. Easy to detect from outside the car - you won't feel the stiff rod going into either side of the rear glass, and window. With the numbers of folks already experiencing, might be headed for another TSB. Many (including me) were totally unaware of the problem until they looked. Sorry for the dupes, but I'm posting both of these topics in any discussion about verts.

Last edited:

friendgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you all for your helpful info.

Just a couple of questions:

- is the roof remote controlled with the fob key?
-what about safety? Does the back headrests rise up in case of flip over the car? (roll bar role)
Sponsored