Sponsored

Continental tire DWS06+ -->Which direction should tire be installed via colored lines)?

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
Hi Guys,

Just got my set of continental DWS06+ tires, wanna make sure tire shop installs correctly, which direction should tire go (those colored lines).

Thanks Anthony

Screenshot_20230622_111659_Gallery.jpg
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If they are directional there will be an arrow molded into the sidewall. Most shops don't know what the colored dots mean.

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, '21 330i (Wifemobile)
Based on the photos on their website, the thin line of tread that has the "DWS" stamped on it should be on the outside. So, the purple/orange rings should be on the outside based on your picture.

https://continentaltire.com/tires/extremecontact-dws06-plus

If tires are directional, there will usually be a "Rotation" indicator on the sidewall.

Onewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
My ExtremeContact Sport tires also have "outside" stamped on the side that is supposed to be.... outside. :)

MagCoyote5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Premium Magnetic(sold) '21 GT Prem PP1 MR G
3 colored lines should be to the outside....all pics on Conti's website show the thinner channel with the "DWS" imprinted on it closest to the wheel face. I believe those letters are imprinted at different depths to show wear.

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
We had a previous thread on this topic, Michelins I think. Same scenario.

The Michelins I'm using now are stamped "outside" and "inside" on the sidewall. Look for that.

Someone had a really nice graphic I'll see if I can upload, showing how water flows.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
OP
OP
monte87

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys for all your replies!!! Greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!
I called continental and asked there tech line. They stated the colored wear lines are internal colors from factory whatever that means, but to look for the word "OUTSIDE" letters stamped on the face side which should be visiible.
Anthony

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I read a few articles on the stripes. It has to do with the manufacturing process, orientation of materials, confirming the right type of materials, etc.

I once watching something similar at Aston Martin, and how craftsman mark leather before the machines cut templates. Using different colored grease pencils, the computer understands, "This is something to save.", "A blemish. Discard this portion." or something akin to that.

The colors on the tires allow the machines (and people) to confirm everything is right. You can imagine as quickly as some things are moving, the use of color would allow everyone to determine things much faster, versus looking at a plain, black tire.

OP
OP
monte87

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
I read a few articles on the stripes. It has to do with the manufacturing process, orientation of materials, confirming the right type of materials, etc.

I once watching something similar at Aston Martin, and how craftsman mark leather before the machines cut templates. Using different colored grease pencils, the computer understands, "This is something to save.", "A blemish. Discard this portion." or something akin to that.

The colors on the tires allow the machines (and people) to confirm everything is right. You can imagine as quickly as some things are moving, the use of color would allow everyone to determine things much faster, versus looking at a plain, black tire.
Thanks for your reply!

Sponsored
OP
OP
monte87

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
monte87

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
3 colored lines should be to the outside....all pics on Conti's website show the thinner channel with the "DWS" imprinted on it closest to the wheel face. I believe those letters are imprinted at different depths to show wear.
Thanks Mag!!!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
thanks for reply!
an up-vote will suffice (if that) and you won't clutter the thread with pointless posts. The "thanks" is implied even when silent.