2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I'm absolutely getting ahead of myself as I might happen to love it right out of the box!

Tangential question: Are the Recaro's suitable for bigger folks? I'm 6'3" and 240lbs
Not sure, I'm 5'6" and 195 lbs and have the standard seats with the cooling/heating, which I like. Drive the car stock for a bit, then figure out what, if any, areas of the car you want to improve. Then pick up the phone and talk to one of the main shops in the UK and ask for advice. Another idea is do your mods incrementally, that way you actually know what is enabling change to the car. Regardless, M1's are great cars stock or mildly/wildly modified
Sponsored

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
I'm absolutely getting ahead of myself as I might happen to love it right out of the box!

Tangential question: Are the Recaro's suitable for bigger folks? I'm 6'3" and 240lbs
Not sure if read already those (there is more to standard vs recaros than the look):
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/recaros-vs-cooled-seats.178907/
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ats-in-their-2021-mach-1-and-thoughts.168700/
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...e-2021-mach1-with-recaros-need-advice.162725/

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Are the Recaro's suitable for bigger folks? I'm 6'3" and 240lbs
Test them, I would say yes, because you get a longer seating surface. In the "premium seats", the thigh support is quite short.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
I think I may struggle to spend a long trip in the Recaros :frown:
Did you try and they don't fit for you?
We did the NC500 starting from Germany via Rotterdam and Newcastle in them. 😎
~2250 mi. within 10 days with a total of 65 h driving time. 🚗 💨

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Boosted_8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M5
Oh one last question... Do any of you UK guys running long tube headers with race cats have successful MOT emissions?

OP
OP

Boosted_8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M5
My fears were confirmed sadly. I think there's a reason superchargers are very popular for this vehicle in the aftermarket. The weight and gearing is not optimal for sports car behaviour. Thank you for helping me with my discovery!

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
The rear diff gearing is an easy fix.

I love the 3.55 of the EU-spec, because I use the Bullitt for traveling on long distances. It gives me the low rpm on the Autobahn.

For sport purposes there is are shorter diff gearings up to 4.09.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
My fears were confirmed sadly. I think there's a reason superchargers are very popular for this vehicle in the aftermarket. The weight and gearing is not optimal for sports car behaviour. Thank you for helping me with my discovery!
mach 1 has the tremec manual which is supposed to be pretty good and as @Nightmonkey says you can lower the overall gearing but easiest way is to use a lower gear, 4th instead of 3rd 4th instead of 5th? I mean, what were you doing that the gearing didn't work for you?
As for weight, good luck finding a lightweight car these days that's not upwards of 100k GBPounds

Sponsored
OP
OP

Boosted_8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M5
This in essence this the genesis of the thread: I'm not sure if the stock car will entertain me and I wanted to get an idea of how much it might cost to 'level up' if that was indeed true.

I've never driven a manual 6 speed where you can almost hit 80 in second. Performance felt similar to a stage one M235i I had back in 2015

I have some indications of cost for parts and labour for changing the gearing, fitting headers with quality cats tuning and upgrading to handling pack parks from the US. It's a lot....

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
This in essence this the genesis of the thread: I'm not sure if the stock car will entertain me and I wanted to get an idea of how much it might cost to 'level up' if that was indeed true.

I've never driven a manual 6 speed where you can almost hit 80 in second. Performance felt similar to a stage one M235i I had back in 2015

I have some indications of cost for parts and labour for changing the gearing, fitting headers with quality cats tuning and upgrading to handling pack parks from the US. It's a lot....
accepting that 6th is an overdrive gear thus saying the gears you'll use for fun driving are 1-5 in a car capable of hitting 155mph in 5th, the gear ratios are going to be spaced out a bit so that's not a surprise really. You could buy a 2017 model, cheap road tax and the shorter gear ratio (rear diff still the same). I'm sure i can hit 65mph or so in 2nd but that's with a lower redline / limiter than the facelift / Mach 1 versions. Aint nothing going to change the weight

However, if you don't like it then it's not for you and that's the end of argument. Different cars for different folks, hope you find what you are looking for.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
The Mustang is just not made for everyone.
So it's probably not for you either?

I love the torque with which you can drive the car at low rpm as if it were a 6-cylinder diesel.
If you want to go faster, you shift down 2 gears, get the revs to 4,000+ and off you go.

An M235i is different, not a large Gran Turismo like the Mustang.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
accepting that 6th is an overdrive gear thus saying the gears you'll use for fun driving are 1-5 in a car capable of hitting 155mph in 5th, the gear ratios are going to be spaced out a bit so that's not a surprise really. You could buy a 2017 model, cheap road tax and the shorter gear ratio (rear diff still the same). I'm sure i can hit 65mph or so in 2nd but that's with a lower redline / limiter than the facelift / Mach 1 versions. Aint nothing going to change the weight
Just FYI, the gears in Tremec are very close to the pre 2017 face lift MT-82.
It seems you are more into an agile car than almost 2T behemoth the Mustang is. Even if you supercharge it, it will still remain a behemoth :), plus as already mentioned here it cannot transfer power to the tarmac as easily as a 4WD.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
It's ideal to have both. I have 1100 kg supercharged FWD and 1800 kg N/A RWD and each is briliant in its own way :)

Watching all those reviews back in the day, I remember that reviewer said that lighter BMW M4 feels heavier than Mach 1 and he was genuinely surprised by that. Big difference in suspension too, comfort vs hard without compromises.
Sponsored

Last edited: