Sponsored

Considering a Mach 1 [UK]

Boosted_8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M5
Hello just joined this forum prior to arranging a test drive of a Mach 1 in the UK. I've found a wealth of really useful info in here already.

So from what I understand the EU car is watered down in the following ways from the full fat handling pack cars in the US:

* Softer springs and rear sway bar
* No front camber adjustment
* Sub optimal headers with OPF
* Smaller wheels and tyres
* Different splitters and spoilers
* Longer gearing and viscous diff

Net result seems to produce a car that runs 13's in the quarter mile and has reduced handling performance.

I'm a bit concerned that I would have to spend rather a lot more money on top of the asking prices to bring the car back to where it should really be performance wise.

So essentially the question I have is, how many folks in the UK /EU have brought the Mach 1 back up to US HP spec and how much did it cost you? Massive thanks!
Sponsored

sachmo133

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
As I understand it you only get the nonHP version of the car. But you can upgrade the car to better specs with Steeda parts. There is no different in performance speed wise, the different is all handling.

OP
OP

Boosted_8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M5
Sadly the right hand drive cars are only making 454 hp on 3.55 gears. I'm a bit worried this will feel lethargic but will know for sure after I drive it I guess.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
So essentially the question I have is, how many folks in the UK /EU have brought the Mach 1 back up to US HP spec and how much did it cost you? Massive thanks!
@0wen @2021 Mach 1 :like:

Sadly the right hand drive cars are only making 454 hp on 3.55 gears. I'm a bit worried this will feel lethargic but will know for sure after I drive it I guess.
Keep it above 4.5k :like:

WD :like:

Sponsored

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
I guess you might want to drive it first then decide what you want/need to change.
What you are trying to compare is a regular Mach 1 with HP Mach 1, which are both legit choices for particular applications :).
I was a bit worried about the diff myself, and after getting mine, I realized the gearing (of both Tremec and the diff) is perfectly fine for my driving. (If you plan on getting an auto, there is no difference in diff gear ratio.)
If you want to track it, you may eventually add the other HP parts, but for the normal driving, I believe the regular trim is just as good as any.

Last edited:

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
Non-HP EU Mach 1 is fast enough. You can get long tube headers with green cats without GPF and US tune for 100 octane petrol and it'll be a nice 500 hp blast (around 5k euro, also probably not legal). It will still be slow to AWD cars like Audi RS5, Tesla Model 3 Performance or BMW M4 M-Xdrive. But it is fast enough for me and it is an absolutely splendid V8 :like:

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
With right-hand drive, the headers are screwed up because the steering is on the wrong side.
The question is not whether the EU-spec is enough for you, but whether you are a Mustang guy or not.
So drive it and then decide.
The rest will be found than (there is also plenty to do on the US-spec to tease out the last bit).
It's unclear to me, if there are RHD long tube headers.

0wen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Owen
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, MX-5 30th Anniversary
Hello just joined this forum prior to arranging a test drive of a Mach 1 in the UK. I've found a wealth of really useful info in here already.

So from what I understand the EU car is watered down in the following ways from the full fat handling pack cars in the US:

* Softer springs and rear sway bar
* No front camber adjustment
* Sub optimal headers with OPF
* Smaller wheels and tyres
* Different splitters and spoilers
* Longer gearing and viscous diff

Net result seems to produce a car that runs 13's in the quarter mile and has reduced handling performance.

I'm a bit concerned that I would have to spend rather a lot more money on top of the asking prices to bring the car back to where it should really be performance wise.

Thanks @WD Pro :)

I've done some (most?) of your list to my car to bring it as close to US HP spec as possible, or at least what I think is worth it!

- Wheels, Tyres, TPMS set
- Front Wheel Lip Mouldings / Rear Splash guards
- Springs, Sway Bar, Camber Plates + Strut tower brace
- Splitter and wing (in the 'proper' Magnetic Matte)
All in I paid ~£8.5k for all of the above, including parts, shipping, labour, a proper alignment etc etc.

This was at 2021 and 2022 prices, but I bought my parts either direct from the US or from Nemesis UK.
If you bought everything from someone like @LevittownFordParts and had them shipped via an import agent you might make some savings but I didn't go that route.

I've not done the gearing / diff or headers + tune, as I agree with @murick and @Charlemagne that the power and gearing is absolutely fine for the street, but that's just my opinion of course!

I think @2021 Mach 1 has had headers and a mild tune so might be able to give you more info on that, and I believe @WD Pro has a Torsen diff all ready to go for his car as well as all his other amazing hand crafted upgrades and improvements...

I also have about another £1.5k in other non-Ford upgrades - a Steeda Stop the Hop kit (recommended) Automotive Authority Spare wheel kit, Gorilla lug nuts (vital), FP hood lift kit etc but left these out as they are not in the US OEM spec.

Hope that helps!

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks @WD Pro :)

I've done some (most?) of your list to my car to bring it as close to US HP spec as possible, or at least what I think is worth it!

- Wheels, Tyres, TPMS set
- Front Wheel Lip Mouldings / Rear Splash guards
- Springs, Sway Bar, Camber Plates + Strut tower brace
- Splitter and wing (in the 'proper' Magnetic Matte)
All in I paid ~£8.5k for all of the above, including parts, shipping, labour, a proper alignment etc etc.

This was at 2021 and 2022 prices, but I bought my parts either direct from the US or from Nemesis UK.
If you bought everything from someone like @LevittownFordParts and had them shipped via an import agent you might make some savings but I didn't go that route.

I've not done the gearing / diff or headers + tune, as I agree with @murick and @Charlemagne that the power and gearing is absolutely fine for the street, but that's just my opinion of course!

I think @2021 Mach 1 has had headers and a mild tune so might be able to give you more info on that, and I believe @WD Pro has a Torsen diff all ready to go for his car as well as all his other amazing hand crafted upgrades and improvements...

I also have about another £1.5k in other non-Ford upgrades - a Steeda Stop the Hop kit (recommended) Automotive Authority Spare wheel kit, Gorilla lug nuts (vital), FP hood lift kit etc but left these out as they are not in the US OEM spec.

Hope that helps!

Yes, I have headers, cats and ECU tune, all done by MAP. The cost depending on which headers is like £3k-ish. Whilst it's expensive, you end up with more power than a U.S. factory car. My car now puts out 535hp. However, the real change is the torque output at 3k RPM, which is increased +40%. The drives totally different and sounds brutal.

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I have driven a few EU spec M1's including one on track in anger.

I have a friend who happens to own a 700 whp M1 with Roush charger and every possible mod you can get total around 25 000 euro in mods and the car is literally a blast to drive.

Another friend of mine give me his A10 M1 on the track and the car is very close performance wise to my 2017 highly modified GT. For a factory car this is mighty impressive. If I were buying one today I would go for the Manual transmission and probably leave the car stock in the EU spec it should be a fun daily and track performance is good enough without having to spend a pile of cash on mods.

Mach 1's even in EU spec are amazing cars and they are also cheap considering a lot left over in Europe.

OP
OP

Boosted_8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M5
It would only be the 6 speed manual I would consider. We have two other cars, so fun and character are the priority attributes I'm after.

OP
OP

Boosted_8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M5
Found someone who has basically done exactly all of the things 'missing' on the UK car!

I've emailed MAP for an understanding of the costs involved.

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
If you want a U.S. HP M1, then you are in to several thousand pounds of mods. I'll guess and say £5k. It'll be a great car. The one question I'd ask is if you are spending that much money, are those the mods you most want?

OP
OP

Boosted_8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M5
I'm absolutely getting ahead of myself as I might happen to love it right out of the box!

Tangential question: Are the Recaro's suitable for bigger folks? I'm 6'3" and 240lbs
Sponsored