Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
Mustang GT PP2 - the only vehicle in the world with 305-section/Cup 2 tires from the factory that is not intended to be tracked!!!!!

Will certainly make it "special".
Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Mustang GT PP2 - the only vehicle in the world with 305-section/Cup 2 tires from the factory that is not intended to be tracked!!!!!

Will it be super car special like the Camaro? Ford seems to not be able to make enough to meet demand and has delays on getting parts...meanwhile Camaros are all over the dealer lots.

I guess the public has decided the answer to this question. Surely if this was such an inconvenience they would never sell!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Manufacturers do not put Cup 2 tires on any car that is not intended to be driven on track - because it makes no sense.
You need to be a little more careful with statements like that . . . mfrs do equip cars with things that appear to be racecar-ish on cars with little or no expectation that they will be tracked. Or equip them with items normally associated with mods for tracking but which don't actually provide what their appearance suggests.

Case in point - the Subie in my sig. It came with the same make & model tire as
TireRack said:
Original Equipment on the supercharged Mercedes-Benz S55 AMG sedan, a Potenza RE050A Scuderia version is used on the 12-cylinder Enzo Ferrari supercar, and a Run Flat version is used on the BMW Z4 sports cars and 5-Series sedans
just in a different size from those cars. And it's currently listed as a 140-treadwear tire. Does anybody seriously believe that Subaru intended any trim of Legacy (Subaru's top-level family sedan) to ever see track time?

I also have it on OEM-level engineering authority that many cars that feature a rear stabilizer bar only have it because the car's target buyer expects to see one there. Typically they're thin or otherwise engineered to provide very little effect . . . just that they be there is the sole reason.

Norm

Last edited:

Sloan91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Performance Pack
PP2 owner here who actually tracks their car.

It’s a mixed bag, really. But for me, the positives outweigh the negatives. Yes, it’s a tad annoying that it didn’t originally come with a diff cooler. But, at the end of the day, i’m trying different ideas and will eventually purchase a cooler. Not the end of the world! I mean, part of the fun for me in tracking a car is coming up with ideas for better cooling, braking, etc.

The positives, like I said, outweigh the lack of diff cooler for me personally. It’s an absolute BLAST to hoon around the track! The handling, the brakes, the noise....lord that noise! And most importantly, I get excited just looking at it when it’s sits in the garage!
THIS.
Me and a good friend went to the track (NOLA MOTORSPORTS for anyone familiar). There was a lot of rain so I wasnt comfortable pushing my car as hard.

I have a PP1 on 20" Nitto NT555G2s
he has a PP2 on the Cup 2s

His car threw the rear diff temp light after about 4 laps. He was also pushing the car harder.
Its weird though, I have taken my other PP1 2016 to the track on dry days using Nitto Invo tires and have never had any overheating issues...pushing the car as hard as my ability allows.

Is there something on the PP2 that causes it to overheat more quickly than PP1 or is it just the fact that it has so much more cornering ability in turn producing more heat?

(sorry for the run-on sentences)

93tankus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP2
THIS.
Me and a good friend went to the track (NOLA MOTORSPORTS for anyone familiar). There was a lot of rain so I wasnt comfortable pushing my car as hard.

His car threw the rear diff temp light after about 4 laps. He was also pushing the car harder.
Its weird though, I have taken my other PP1 2016 to the track on dry days using Nitto Invo tires and have never had any overheating issues...pushing the car as hard as my ability allows.

Is there something on the PP2 that causes it to overheat more quickly than PP1 or is it just the fact that it has so much more cornering ability in turn producing more heat?

NOLA Motorsports looks like a blast!! Sounds like you boys have a bunch of fun down there!

In my limited track time (I've only had the opportunity to take my PP2 to the track twice), I've had mixed results. The first time out was in August, and it was around 90 degrees. I received the warning light after about 10 minutes of hard driving.

I went back out to the track about 2 weeks ago, when the ambient temp was around 70 degrees. I feel like I drove the car as hard if not harder. I was able to do 4 full sessions (15 mins each) and was never close to getting the warning light.

The only differences between the two outings that I can think of were:
1. Different rear end gear oil - switched to BG 75W-140 for second event.
2. Drove the car in "track" mode in second event (vs "sport" mode in first event). Not sure this would have any effect.
3. Ambient temps were 20 degrees cooler for second event.

Sponsored

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
THIS.

Different driver = different degree of driving?

Could be rear axle ratio+tire diameter difference?

2018/19 cal/sensors slightly different than 2016?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm not looking at this car for track use. I like the look and I like that I can get a Premium GT PP2 for about the same money as a Premium PP1 w/ Magna ride and premium interior added on as options. And.....I don't need to touch it.
If it helps (or matters in the slightest), I think the PP2 is only a little past what the original PP and today's PP1 could (and perhaps should) have been. The "little past" being only the PSC2-spec tires, not necessarily the size.

(Base should always have been closer to the current PP1 specs.)

Norm

Last edited:

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Simple; Cup 2s are MUCH more tire than NT555G2s, not to mention I'd bet he has wider tires than you, and you're running 20s vs his 19s (less sidewall = less mechanical grip). Simply put, the PP2 has much more rear grip than your car, and therefore is putting more strain on the differential. It also is likely pushing that grip much further, as I'm guessing you have a staggered setup, and therefore experience heavy understeer which means you aren't pushing the rear tires to their limit of grip

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Will it be super car special like the Camaro? Ford seems to not be able to make enough to meet demand and has delays on getting parts...meanwhile Camaros are all over the dealer lots.

I guess the public has decided the answer to this question. Surely if this was such an inconvenience they would never sell!

So lets all go buy Camry's, they sell better so they must be the best cars. Plus they don't overheat the diff after 3 laps.

Sponsored

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS

I'm guessing by your ignoring my post that it IS you.

How sad is your life, exactly?

And how have the moderators here not given you the boot yet?

Curious as people get banned/warned for all kinds of things, but apparently being a blatant, annoying troll is fine.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
So lets all go buy Camry's, they sell better so they must be the best cars. Plus they don't overheat the diff after 3 laps.
They are most likely the best car in their class. If by best we are using the same metric which is overall sales.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
THIS.

You answered your question. Grip.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
They are most likely the best car in their class. If by best we are using the same metric which is overall sales.

Apparently you don't subscribe to car magazines. I have never, ever seen a Camry win a comparison test or any sort of Best car award. The Accord (which does not sell nearly as well) wins most of those. Best selling is usually lowest common denominataor, run of the mill stuff.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Don't think I've ever seen a magazine article that awarded a 'Best-whatever' award solely on the basis of most sales . . .

Norm
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.