Sponsored

Completely turning off 911 assist

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
It's data generated by something I own and by my actions. That makes it my data, regardless of what that data is.

What right do you have to data generated by my car? What right does Ford, Google, or the car behind me? That's where this tech is going. Be it for traffic monitoring, enforcement, data mining, maintenance, or tracking what someone does after leaving Starbucks.

Some people are not concerned by that, and that's fine. On the other hand, some are very concerned about data privacy, or lack thereof, however innocuous it may seem. When a new tech device is mandated to be in vehicles and its sole purpose is to collect and transfer data, I think it's pretty important to fully understand what can and cannot done with that data. Today and tomorrow.
So do you bury your feces and incinerate your garbage too? Those are fruits of your creation too that probably contain more private date than your car ever would/could. Silly examples? Yes but it does happen.

It gets to the point of ridiculousness at some point and there has to be a line.

Everyone has your data already whether you know it or not. Store loyalty cards track your spending history/habits. Credit cards, tons of personal data and statistics about you and your spending. Bank account? your bank has oodles of data about you. file taxes or have a job? ton of info the government and your employer has about you.

There are far far far far more areas people should be way more concerned about than anonymous black box data in their car; but rather want to be the loudest on this topic while still readily using all of these other far wider breaches of your personal security. Its, again, hypocritical.
Sponsored

SnoopisTDI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 2015 GTPP, Recaros, 2004 Lexus GX470
From my Taurus manual:

It looks like you've got the 911 assist set with a reminder at each vehicle startup. Go into your settings and change it to off without a reminder.​

It's a little different on the Mustang. Instead of phone settings, it's under:
Menu
Sync apps
911 assist

After you select "off" it will prompt you for with or without reminder.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
So do you bury your feces and incinerate your garbage too?

[...]

There are far far far far more areas people should be way more concerned about than anonymous black box data in their car; but rather want to be the loudest on this topic while still readily using all of these other far wider breaches of your personal security. Its, again, hypocritical.
Interesting that being concerned about the privacy implications of new, government mandated, technology makes one a hypocrite if they shit in a toilet or use a debit card.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
Interesting that being concerned about the privacy implications of new, government mandated, technology makes one a hypocrite if they shit in a toilet or use a debit card.

I am always amazed at the people who are that paranoid about privacy from government yet have smart phones, Internet access, electricity, cable, credit cards, bank accounts, car loans, mortgages, drivers licenses, etc. Its much easier to get any and all information through those sources than through you cars electronics for anyone, government included. I know guys who fear of that yet have a concealed carry permit (so they WILLINGLY a supplied all this to the government including finger prints) yet complain about privacy from government. Obviously, you want to take certain precautions to prevent the wrong people from obtaining that information, people who couldn't get it through the other routes.

As far as driving information, that's available through other ways also. Heck, smartphone gps could be used for tracking you in that way if someone wanted to bad enough. But, the black box has the ability to have it all. So, no sense in not using the ability just in case I need it since it's being tracked anyway.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
I am always amazed by people who call those who are concerned and express an interest in something "paranoid".

To each their own.

Sponsored

DADS05

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.insanelights.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Sonic Blue Mustang GT
It's a little different on the Mustang. Instead of phone settings, it's under:
Menu
Sync apps
911 assist

After you select "off" it will prompt you for with or without reminder.
Hey, why are you trying to get this thread back on topic??? LOL

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I am always amazed at the people who are that paranoid about privacy from government yet have smart phones, Internet access, electricity, cable, credit cards, bank accounts, car loans, mortgages, drivers licenses, etc. Its much easier to get any and all information through those sources than through you cars electronics for anyone, government included. I know guys who fear of that yet have a concealed carry permit (so they WILLINGLY a supplied all this to the government including finger prints) yet complain about privacy from government. Obviously, you want to take certain precautions to prevent the wrong people from obtaining that information, people who couldn't get it through the other routes.

As far as driving information, that's available through other ways also. Heck, smartphone gps could be used for tracking you in that way if someone wanted to bad enough. But, the black box has the ability to have it all. So, no sense in not using the ability just in case I need it since it's being tracked anyway.
How dare you speak such logic!? I see at least 1 person gets it; the ridiculousness of it all

OP
OP

Nazgul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 15 GT PP
I posed this question not because I am paranoid that big brother is monitoring me, but because it was a nuisance everything I turned my car on. I don't use it because it ties to sensors and is just one more thing to go wrong or accidently activate. If I crash my car I can call 911, in the case I can't the person I hit/hit me can or a passers by -bywill. I live in a populated area so I don't have concerns of single car crashes with no one around.

For what it's worth I am a full time LEO so the big brother call the police, hide my information doesn't bother me.

Sixth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
the car is your personal property, so if you deny them access to search your car or enter it, that means they cannot link up to your black box...isnt that how it works?

dabsevo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Black
My issue is not so much the privacy as it is the reliability. If my Pandora app doesn't work properly I don't really have much faith that it'll 100% of the time dial 911 for me without glitches. Or say the sync thing is not working and I try to dial out but it's also trying to at the same time and won't let me do it manually. Or it dials and takes longer or routes to another department or something. I don't know.. not something I want to test in a time of need.

Also what volume does it set it at when you crash? Does it default to a certain volume level. What if it dials out and I can't hear cause the speaker is busted. Or it's more important that I contact someone else before 911. Too many variables.

Sponsored

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
the car is your personal property, so if you deny them access to search your car or enter it, that means they cannot link up to your black box...isnt that how it works?
If you want a check from your insurance you are going to have to let them inspect the car. If you refuse to let them see any data logged by the car they will probably deny the claim.

If the police believe you were driving recklessly you can deny them the right to search the car, then they will go get a subpoena and read the black box if they want without your consent.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
As per the post above HUGE difference. One if the government search, one is your private insurance contract. Your insurance can certainly refuse to cover you if you refuse inspection/date from the car. If Ford wants to hook to your port for data and you refuse, they can (and will) void your warranty.

The 1st and 4th Amendments protect your privacy/speech etc, and against unreasonable searches and seizures, from the government ONLY. These constitutional rights do not exist against private citizens or companies. People seem to easily forget this fact.
Sponsored