Sponsored

Comparing to 2007 GT500

MadManMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MME GTPE, 2007 Shelby GT500
So now that the horsepower/torque figures are released, we're a little closer to understanding how well this beast will perform.

I know the independent rear suspension, plus the MagneRide shocks, will completely transform the ride handling on normal roads, and that's the biggest weakness of my '07 GT500 on the street (which is where any car I own will spend 99.9% of its life). I also like the new goodies in the Technology Package - SYNC 3, heated/cooled seats, etc.

The question is, with a high-revving naturally aspirated motor, will I miss the instant-on button I have now with my stock '07 GT500 motor? That glorious torque so very low in the RPM band is a heckuva lot of fun, especially merging onto highways or leaving a stoplight. Any idea how different the GT350 will feel?

My local dealer offered me $2,500 over sticker for one of their four 2016 allocations, but I won't buy this car unless I pay MSRP or less - I won't pay over sticker for a car ever again. That, plus the fact that I'm concerned about first-year gremlins (like the transmission TSB on my '07 that was so painful to resolve). Might it be worth waiting until 2017 or 2018 once the gotta-have-it-now hysteria dies down?

Plus there's the fact that I have a bumper-to-bumper Ford PremiumCARE ESP on my '07 through 2018 or 98,000 miles, which is a nice safety net! That, and it's paid off. Even if I sell her for decent money, I'm looking at about $500/month payments for 5 more years.

Thoughts? Someone talk me out of ordering a 2016, 900A w/67T, Magnetic w/Blue stripes, please!
Sponsored

Stilleto12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 GT500, '03 Miata LS (daily)
So now that the horsepower/torque figures are released, we're a little closer to understanding how well this beast will perform.

I know the independent rear suspension, plus the MagneRide shocks, will completely transform the ride handling on normal roads, and that's the biggest weakness of my '07 GT500 on the street (which is where any car I own will spend 99.9% of its life). I also like the new goodies in the Technology Package - SYNC 3, heated/cooled seats, etc.

The question is, with a high-revving naturally aspirated motor, will I miss the instant-on button I have now with my stock '07 GT500 motor? That glorious torque so very low in the RPM band is a heckuva lot of fun, especially merging onto highways or leaving a stoplight. Any idea how different the GT350 will feel?

My local dealer offered me $2,500 over sticker for one of their four 2016 allocations, but I won't buy this car unless I pay MSRP or less - I won't pay over sticker for a car ever again. That, plus the fact that I'm concerned about first-year gremlins (like the transmission TSB on my '07 that was so painful to resolve). Might it be worth waiting until 2017 or 2018 once the gotta-have-it-now hysteria dies down?

Plus there's the fact that I have a bumper-to-bumper Ford PremiumCARE ESP on my '07 through 2018 or 98,000 miles, which is a nice safety net! That, and it's paid off. Even if I sell her for decent money, I'm looking at about $500/month payments for 5 more years.

Thoughts? Someone talk me out of ordering a 2016, 900A w/67T, Magnetic w/Blue stripes, please!

I have an '07 GT500 as well. IMO, they're two totally different beasts. If you really do love the stump pulling low end torque of the GT500, you'll probably miss it. The GT500 is a big, brutish, Grand Tour'er whereas the GT350 is going to be more of a precision sports car. It's like going into surgery with a blunt axe versus a finely tuned scalpel. IMO, the blunt axe can be just as fun with a sure enough hand.

Also IMO, I don't think I could give up my GT500 for the GT350. That's why I plan on paying my GT500 off soon so I can get the 350. I love my 500 so much, I can't imagine not keeping it. Also, it'd be sooooooo sweet having a white w/ blue stripes GT500 parked next to a white w/ blue stripes GT350R in my garage :D

mustangfamily03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' fusion 14 explorer sport
I think you would be just as happy waiting until 2017. Save your money. That's what I'm doing. Then there's also that next model just around the corner. 2017 and 2018 will be the years to watch. If they have another GT500 it will split the niche line customers up and allow a better deal on the GT350. Unless they don't overlap. At least you have a mustang, I don't. But if you have to be one of the first then go for it. Sounds like you want to wait, You're just itching to jump into a new one.. Just sit back and wait for the next one.. We got time. :cheers:

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Tq feel you love will not be there.

Sponsored

rpmcobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT 500 & Roush Stage 3
I have an '07 GT500 as well. IMO, they're two totally different beasts. If you really do love the stump pulling low end torque of the GT500, you'll probably miss it. The GT500 is a big, brutish, Grand Tour'er whereas the GT350 is going to be more of a precision sports car. It's like going into surgery with a blunt axe versus a finely tuned scalpel. IMO, the blunt axe can be just as fun with a sure enough hand.

Also IMO, I don't think I could give up my GT500 for the GT350. That's why I plan on paying my GT500 off soon so I can get the 350. I love my 500 so much, I can't imagine not keeping it. Also, it'd be sooooooo sweet having a white w/ blue stripes GT500 parked next to a white w/ blue stripes GT350R in my garage :D
+1
Agree my ideal plan is to put one of these great cars beside my 09 GT 500

Last edited:

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 GT Premium, 2012 BMW M3, Etc Etc
Early adopters always kick themselves in the butt after the Manufacturer addresses the issues revealed from real world use. As well as up the specs and performance additions as technology advances very quickly. So if 2017 come around with a power bump, better dampening and more diversity with trim level options then waiting will have been worth it. It might also translate into an extension of the model years in production as well as a bump in the production numbers if the demand is there. No manufacturer wants to leave money sitting on the table when it can simply go in their pocket.

So if an early adopter gets a model year with 526 HP and the next two years sees a 550HP variant.... well.... there's where I would want to be. But, I'm simply ready for a GT350 now. I'm in line and apparently now I'm the first guy to get one since as I expected the 4 people in line before me...dropped out. I'm also patient so I'm nice at not pressuring the Dealership owner for inside info or ETA's. I simply offered his family a nice dinner and welcomed him to come and visit my ranch anytime he wants to kick back and relax while enjoying the view I have of the mountains. As far as I'm concerned... done deal and I'll get the car I want the way I want it.

But, I'll certainly give a hat tip on a smart move to anyone who waited and got something just a tad bit better than mine.

BoOm.

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
For everyone who thinks there will be something better down the road, why lose two years of your life waiting for something that may never happen? Buy the car now and get two years of enjoyment out of it! In my case, the GT350 is the perfect car for me at this point in my life for a lot of reasons, and I anticipate that I will keep it forever.

Too many people waste their lives waiting for "tomorrow" to come - and it never does.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I'd wait until the hubbub dies down and make a decision then. Not only for pricing nonsense to subside, but to see how the Voodoo holds up and responds to mods.

I had an '07 GT500 'vert, and after owning my '15 GT the ONLY thing I miss about that car is that torque. Being a pre-'11 iron block car, the thing was an understeering pig - they are definitely more of a Grand Tourer or straight liner. Then there's the terrible build quality (my '09 Bullitt was far better) and mine was afflicted with the clutch issues that plague the early GT500s. Add in a few other BS issues and I dumped it with a little over 13K on the odometer for a new Jeep DD. Yes, really.

I'm really pondering a GT350, maybe a '17, but I'm also thinking that my current GT/PP would be pretty damn awesome all-around car with a supercharger and a couple of minor suspension mods. It doesn't have that "it" factor of a Shelby, sure, but on the other hand it blends in, plus is cheaper to own and insure.

OP
OP
MadManMoon

MadManMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MME GTPE, 2007 Shelby GT500
If I didn't currently have my GT500, I'd be chomping at the bit to get a pony in my stable ASAP. I know my '07 isn't the best performer, and is rather dated by quite a few standards, but damn if it isn't still fun - I get an ear-splitting grin every time I fire her up, and every time I stomp the throttle. That won't change any time soon!

Waiting sounds like the right move. Especially if a GT500 emerges in the next few years with that prodigious torque I'm so addicted to...maybe with the MagneRide shocks, heated/cooled seats, and SYNC 3! A boy can dream!

Until then, I'll live vicariously through y'all. :)

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I love Torque, but nothing is like a rush to redline though. Thats why this is the only car for me to get me out of my E92 M3..a frantic rush to 8400rpm not to mention the sound the comes with it.

As regards to getting the car now, to be honest I would wait. Although $1500 over msrp doesn't sound like a bad deal in the scheme of the ADM's, its still a ADM and I like you will never pay over MSRP ever again.

Dave

Last edited:

bullittman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350 chassis 0387

Hey Mad man, no worries our "Twins" will always have the torque edge. This looks to be a HUGE upgrade ......Other than the torque and HP part. Looking to do more openj track events and live the dream:thumbsup:
Sponsored