BobbyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hey Everyone,

So Ive got a question about driving in cold weather. I live in Miami, but am planning on driving to North Carolina for thanksgiving.

I have the Pirelli Pzero summer tires that come on the PP wheels, which I know don't do well in cold weather.

Tread on the tires is fine, not brand new but a solid 40-50% left on the rears, 70% on the front. Nothing is bald or anything.

The weather forecast for where I'm heading currently says it will be a low of 40ish (according to the forecast its never going to be 32 degrees or freezing), hitting close to the 60s during the day. The car will be in a garage when I get there, and I wont use it except to NC and back to Miami.

So the question is, am i safe to drive up there on the summer tires?

I could fly, but If I don't fly I save about $800, all of which I'm going to spend on my car.

I also don't want to kill myself and my girlfriend, so if its unsafe ill just fly.

Sponsored

johnson.ba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack
if you're really worried, kick it into wet/snow mode and take it easy.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
if the temperatures were consistently under 40 you would have a problem. But if your doing daytime driving in the 40's I wouldnt worry. Just remember the tires will not flex as well as they do in warmer weather which may effect your steering feel.

Boddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
As long as there is no snow or ice you will be fine. The tires will lose traction much easier under moderate to heavy acceleration but for conservative driving you will have no issues. If somehow you happen to get caught in snow be very careful. I had to turn off traction control to get the the tires to even move with summer tires on snow. It is also not safe at all.

OP
OP
BobbyGT

BobbyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Cool, thanks guys!

I thought I would be fine, but I never drive in cold weather so wasn't sure!

Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
It was upper 30's here today ... be careful with sudden throttle inputs though as it'll spin the rears. Highway driving will warm them up a bit but just be cautious. PP here as well.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I just got some NT555 G2's a week ago. I was driving them yesterday morning in 35 degree temps and they hooked really well surprisingly. But it just depends on the tire honestly. Some compounds are different than others. A softer compound will do better when it's colder. The reason a lot of tires lose traction is because the rubber compound gets really hard when it gets cold, causing it to lose the ability to grip. Pretty much turns it into hockey puck.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I've dialed back my mustang time the past couple weeks because it's been in the 30's in the mornings. Today I had an appointment in town before work and when I got done it was about 45 our, so I swung back by the house and got the mustang for my 35 mile commute. Even at 45 my tires broke traction very slightly (sealed asphalt so a bit slicker) just backing out of the driveway gently. It's ok once you get back on the road and up to speed, but I don't hammer the throttle unless I'm pointed straight.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
Drove my Pzeros year round till they wore out here in North GA. We're not as cold as some parts of NC, but have 4 seasons. You do start to notice a difference below 45 degrees or so, below 40, they feel like flintstone tires. But, as others have said, you're fine if you take it easy on acceleration, braking, and corners. They will warm up too though and will grip better the longer you drive.

blk_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CO 2015 GT PP
You should be fine....My summer tires are still on here in Michigan (coming off this weekend for the winters) and overnight temps have been consistently in the 40s/mid 30s but 50 during the day and I've had zero issues. Snow or ice could be dangerous but as long as it stays dry you should be fine as long as you're being smart.

Sponsored

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
To answer your question (since I didn't really), you should be fine.

One of the guys at work has a camaro and ran two sets of p zeros year round. This dude drives his SS in ALL weather. We've had a few big snows and he makes it in. Drove on those tires in single digit temps and all. Said he never gave it a second thought..lol

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Hey Everyone,

So Ive got a question about driving in cold weather. I live in Miami, but am planning on driving to North Carolina for thanksgiving.

I have the Pirelli Pzero summer tires that come on the PP wheels, which I know don't do well in cold weather.

Tread on the tires is fine, not brand new but a solid 40-50% left on the rears, 70% on the front. Nothing is bald or anything.

The weather forecast for where I'm heading currently says it will be a low of 40ish (according to the forecast its never going to be 32 degrees or freezing), hitting close to the 60s during the day. The car will be in a garage when I get there, and I wont use it except to NC and back to Miami.
The key is, as mentioned as early as post #2, to take it easy. With ALL of your control inputs, not just the throttle.

What I think you're most likely to run into is tailhappiness when turning from a full stop and you use a little too much throttle in 1st gear while you're turning. I can't tell you that the snow/ice mode or AdvanceTrak will fully cover your butt for this situation, so I'm going to tell you to watch out for it anyway (and get out of the throttle and steer to straighten yourself out on the road if it does). FWIW, before my wife and I retired, experiencing a little of this was my cue to switch off from summer Goodyears to the OE all-seasons on my own Mustang. It's no different just because your car has IRS.

Technically and as long as the pavement is dry/bare, it's not a matter of tread depth. It's the tread compound behavior at temperatures cooler than they were intended to be used in. While they don't suddenly go completely gripless with a 1° temperature change, their capabilities do drop off over maybe a 10° - 20° range of temperatures - they won't take the same kinds of throttle, brake, and steering inputs that you may have come to expect them to. Just do everything a little more gently and smoothly, expect lockup under braking to be a bit more likely, give yourself a little more room to do it in, and you'll be OK. Be even more aware during the first few miles of driving, before normal tire flexing has warmed the tires up at least a little.

On edit, it may happen that your tires develop "flat spots" when they sit for an extended length of time at the cooler temperatures. This will go away with a few miles driving . . . and might by itself be a good reminder from the unmistakable thumpety-thump ride that they're still cold and still operating with somewhat less grip than you're accustomed to them having.

Norm

Last edited:

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
Get a car from Enterprise for $20 a day and not worry about it!

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
As long as there is no snow or ice you will be fine. The tires will lose traction much easier under moderate to heavy acceleration but for conservative driving you will have no issues. If somehow you happen to get caught in snow be very careful. I had to turn off traction control to get the the tires to even move with summer tires on snow. It is also not safe at all.
This is terrible advice. OP, do drive under 50 on the PP tires. These get bad in cold weather real fast.

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
I've noticed more wheel hop on mine in the 40s with the summer tires they slapped on my '16 PP. Can't tell you what it's like driving in the snow, though. I woke up yesterday intending to warm up the mustang for work and found snow all over the ground, and made a beeline for the mustang's winter whipping boy and drove it instead. Looks like I'll be driving the mustang once or twice a week during the middle of the day when the roads are more clear for a little errand or fast food run here and there just to keep it regularly started and not just sitting, but I'm mostly going to be driving the used '03 Explorer I got for the winter from here on out.
Sponsored