Cobb OTS/JLT and catless

Fast64ranchero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
63 Ranchero, 1972 Pinto, 2015 Mustang
So I put the mods on one at a time starting with the Cobb. I noticed no change with the Cobb after I down loaded it to the car, until, I went back and Loaded the 91 tune. It really woke up the car pulls harder from lower RPM to a very strong mid range with nice "Over Rev" I'm one of those guys that like to short shift and now with the AP canned tunes it feels like I'm short shifting in the low 6K RPM range so 600 to 800 rpm more then stock. (At this point I feel it would give my stock 2010 GT a real run, prob. beating it)

Next came the JLT intake, super easy install, maybe 20 minutes. All I can say is WOW. I'm not a spring chicken when it comes to cars and modding, but this has to be the most increase I have ever had from a CAI. The combo of the AP tuner and the JLT intake is assume! Yes you can hear the turbo now, and feel the added power

I drove the car for a few days waiting for the catless OR pipe to come in, I installed it tonight and drove it around. Exhaust note is more present, turbo can be heard now, but...... No seat of the pants gain that I can feel at all. This could be due to the standard Cobb tune is set up for everything stock, or maybe there's not much to be gained from the down pipe??? The really nice thing, super easy to install worst part was figuring out the clips for the O2 sensors, install time less then an hour off floor jack and stands

Tomorrow the intercooler should arrive, I have hi hopes for this as I can feel the car fall off now with the mods I have, and in two weeks I'm hoping to get a pro tune done by FFTech if they can squeeze me in while I'm on vacation in Cali...
Sponsored

DanFish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT, 2015 Black Eco
To tell the difference with te catless downpipe you will need a pro tune to account for the loss of back pressure.

OP
OP

Fast64ranchero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
Most people are not going to get any form of pro-tune, some may do some data logging and send them to there tuner for changes. Just trying to help out.... Later I'm sure lots of tuners will have tunes ready for these mods.

Frogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FR IC JLT CAI ATP DP Meth INJ Cobb Tune FR ABs
So I put the mods on one at a time starting with the Cobb. I noticed no change with the Cobb after I down loaded it to the car, until, I went back and Loaded the 91 tune. It really woke up the car pulls harder from lower RPM to a very strong mid range with nice "Over Rev" I'm one of those guys that like to short shift and now with the AP canned tunes it feels like I'm short shifting in the low 6K RPM range so 600 to 800 rpm more then stock. (At this point I feel it would give my stock 2010 GT a real run, prob. beating it)

Next came the JLT intake, super easy install, maybe 20 minutes. All I can say is WOW. I'm not a spring chicken when it comes to cars and modding, but this has to be the most increase I have ever had from a CAI. The combo of the AP tuner and the JLT intake is assume! Yes you can hear the turbo now, and feel the added power

I drove the car for a few days waiting for the catless OR pipe to come in, I installed it tonight and drove it around. Exhaust note is more present, turbo can be heard now, but...... No seat of the pants gain that I can feel at all. This could be due to the standard Cobb tune is set up for everything stock, or maybe there's not much to be gained from the down pipe??? The really nice thing, super easy to install worst part was figuring out the clips for the O2 sensors, install time less then an hour off floor jack and stands

Tomorrow the intercooler should arrive, I have hi hopes for this as I can feel the car fall off now with the mods I have, and in two weeks I'm hoping to get a pro tune done by FFTech if they can squeeze me in while I'm on vacation in Cali...
Ive got close to the same set up as you. Except I did tune, dp then jlt cai. I noticed a good increase in performance with the tune and dp but felt i lost some when i installed the cai. or maybe it power was distributed to higher rpms. Ive got my ic waiting to go. let me know how yours turns out.:cheers:

OP
OP

Fast64ranchero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
Interesting, guess it has to be the tune not playing nice with more then one mod...

Sponsored

Frogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting, guess it has to be the tune not playing nice with more then one mod...
That's what I'm thinking. I was going to wait for Cobb to release their next OTS because they are working on their own cai and IC.

I look forward to the protune update by you.

The only difference in our set ups is a have a full race IC. Cheers.

JJ@WMS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang
You should feel a difference with an off road pipe, even if your just stock with no tune. We tested our own OR pipe on our car totally stock with and without a tune and the difference was felt not only on the dyno but in the SOTP.

JJ

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
The downpipe felt like it had the same effect on my Fusion. I was tuned for it, but really couldn't tell much of a difference on the ol' butt dyno.

OP
OP

Fast64ranchero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
Well I installed the Intercooler today, Kind of a PITA, not much out on the web about doing the swap. I found nothing that talked about what to do with the Louvers behind my grill, is that a PP thing or do all have the louvers that open/close? I cut the lower section of louvers off because the Levels front mount would not work with the lower section in place. I had to trim some plastic also. On the Test drive, the butt dyno indicated the front mount helped. I'm planning on putting it on a chassis dyno next week just to see where I'm at.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Well I installed the Intercooler today, Kind of a PITA, not much out on the web about doing the swap. I found nothing that talked about what to do with the Louvers behind my grill, is that a PP thing or do all have the louvers that open/close? I cut the lower section of louvers off because the Levels front mount would not work with the lower section in place. I had to trim some plastic also. On the Test drive, the butt dyno indicated the front mount helped. I'm planning on putting it on a chassis dyno next week just to see where I'm at.
I completely removed the Active Grill Shutters (AGS) and removed the plastics on the sides so I didn't have to cut or trim anything.

Sponsored

Frogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool. Glad to hear it made a difference on the butt dyno. Do you feel like it recovered the power you felt that you lost with the DP and CAI?

And you said you are going to get it pro tuned right?

OP
OP

Fast64ranchero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
The thing runs like a rapped Ape if the OSA temp is 50 or less, seems to have a big drop in power if the OSA is anything warmer. I think there is a lot left in it with a Pro Tune. FFTec can't fit me in while I'm in CA. do to them getting ready for a race... Sucks, but it is what it is..... Not sure what to do for a tune now, maybe a E tune from them or MAP or?
Sponsored