Sponsored

Clunking sound when turning steering wheel?

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
Has anybody encounter with this issue?

When turning the steering wheel either left or right all the way i can hear a cluncking sound coming from under the car also i feel the noise close to the accelerator pedal i checked everything and all the suspension is tight. Cant figure it out.

Thanks

UPDATE: The dealer says the left lower control arm needs to be changed cause the bushings are worn out.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Has anybody encounter with this issue?

When turning the steering wheel either left or right all the way i can hear a cluncking sound coming from under the car also i feel the noise close to the accelerator pedal i checked everything and all the suspension is tight. Cant figure it out.

Thanks
Do you have large aftermarket wheels? Strut clearance may be an issue.

Any other modifications? How many miles on the car?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Does it happen the first time you move the car with the wheels turned, and mainly only when its kinda cold out?

OP
OP
jrsimon27

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
Does it happen the first time you move the car with the wheels turned, and mainly only when its kinda cold out?
Nop it does it all the time cold or hot.

I turn it left and start to move the car and then it makes the clunking noise i can feel by the accelerator pedal.
Taking it to the dealer tomorrow will keep you guys updated on what they fine.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
If it was something like me, exhaust pipes might be coming in contact with the transmission mount. Not sure how that'd be happening on a stock car though.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
If it only happenes when turning its most likely a control arm issue.
Agreed. This, or it could be loose hex screws/other steering shaft issue, wore tie rods, or some other random anomaly. Yes please OP, let us know what the dealer finds.

Sponsored

Fabiannn43

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fabian
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt Premium
Hey wondering why you said this and if you know the fix ? I have this exact issue. 2016 mustang gt clunking noise appears only when cold and turning to the left or right side

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Hey wondering why you said this and if you know the fix ? I have this exact issue. 2016 mustang gt clunking noise appears only when cold and turning to the left or right side
Yeah, they do that. It doesn’t seem to be a problem, so thats the good news. I don’t know the specific joint or part thats slipping and making the noise, but its a very common report in colder weather and comes and goes with the winter months.

if it persists after the first hard turn or so, it could be something else. The noise I’m talking about is generally only on the first turn.

GTGwen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gwen
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yeah, they do that. It doesn’t seem to be a problem, so thats the good news. I don’t know the specific joint or part thats slipping and making the noise, but its a very common report in colder weather and comes and goes with the winter months.

if it persists after the first hard turn or so, it could be something else. The noise I’m talking about is generally only on the first turn.
I have this exact issue you described. Colder weather definitely plays a part. Mine does it when I full lock to the left (usually right after warm up). It sounds like a flat tire rolling off the rim. After about 30-45 seconds, I'll have "service advance trac" message, followed by "hill assist not available", "traction control off". I park in a parking garage (all left turns on the way out - all rights on the way in). The notifications on the dash continue until I pull out and drive straight for about 30 seconds.
It's now starting to do the noise anytime I fully lock to the left. (Backing into my garage, pulling into tight parking spots, etc.) But without notifications...
For Christmas, I purchased a lowering kit that I'm procrastinating putting on since it'll void any warranty. Should I just contact the Ford dealer?
Sponsored