Sponsored

Close to pulling the trigger on a 2015 V6 - need some encouragement

corvettez06usa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I drove a 2001 V6 for 14 years. Some of those years in some pretty nasty snow conditions. No traction control. No stability control. I don't even think my car even has ABS. This was also my first car, and with it being a bit torquey (give it a little credit lol) I learned real quick about throttle control and driving dynamics.

Just some of my 2 cents:

Driving in slippery conditions is mostly driving behavior and respecting physics and little technology, but that also helps too imo. Snow tires obviously make a world of difference, but don't discount a great set of all seasons too. Cornering is the most dangerous in those conditions than driving straight, so it helps to learn about how your car's weight shifts when doing so. And on the topic of weight shifting, remember when you brake it shifts forward, so brake way earlier and be easier on the pedal so if you start to slide you can pump it because when the wheels stop turning, your momentum doesn't. Pumping the brakes will get the wheels to start turning again.

Hope I wasn't too preachy, just wanted to share my experiences.
Sponsored

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
The automatic will be much better than a manual in the snow.

With the auto, if you put it in sport, you can paddle into 2nd or 3rd gear while at a stop. This reduces torque to the tires, and makes it harder to just spin wheels. Just be aware that after you hit the paddles, it STAYS in paddle mode. To get out of paddle mode, just bump it up into drive.

Not that I've had to worry about much snow here in Florida...

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Driving in slippery conditions is mostly driving behavior and respecting physics and little technology, but that also helps too imo. Snow tires obviously make a world of difference, but don't discount a great set of all seasons too. Cornering is the most dangerous in those conditions than driving straight, so it helps to learn about how your car's weight shifts when doing so. And on the topic of weight shifting, remember when you brake it shifts forward, so brake way earlier and be easier on the pedal so if you start to slide you can pump it because when the wheels stop turning, your momentum doesn't. Pumping the brakes will get the wheels to start turning again.
This. Winter driving is an art of sorts.

I was forced to drive my '01 Bullitt for one MN winter, and did so on the OEM Gatorbacks. I survived.

You will be fine with a more modern car with traction control, more so with a set of dedicated snow tires.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP

With the auto, if you put it in sport, you can paddle into 2nd or 3rd gear while at a stop. This reduces torque to the tires, and makes it harder to just spin wheels. Just be aware that after you hit the paddles, it STAYS in paddle mode. To get out of paddle mode, just bump it up into drive.

I prefer a manual in snow. Using the clutch as a point of control works well. You can also start in 2nd if need be.

Not to mention, if required, how do you 'rock' out of a spot in an auto?

Boff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP 401a Race Red

Are you saying that it is easier to select and hold a specific gear in the automatic? :shrug:

Sponsored

filmamigo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang V6 fastback
You'll be fine. Snow tires will make a big difference, I strongly recommend them. But these cars are VERY well mannered.

I learned how to drive in the snow belt south of Toronto (think - near Buffalo NY) and drove a Capri RS (Mustang brother) and a Camaro. When I bought newer Mustangs with Traction Control, they were SO MUCH BETTER. But I never put the Capri or Camaro into the ditch.

With a rear-wheel drive car, you learn the dynamics. It's best to "actively" drive a rear-wheeler in the winter. Spend some time in an empty, snowy parking lot, and toss the car around. Find out where the car loses grip in a corner, find out how much throttle is too much throttle, and learn how the car stops (or doesn't.) Then your time on open roads will be informed, and if you need to adjust your driving you will understand WHAT that actually means.

My top tips:

1) When you get stuck in deep snow, or are at the bottom of a slippery hill with no momentum (like a steep driveway) turn the Traction Control OFF. With Traction Control on, the expected wheel spin will just result in all power being removed. Turn off Traction Control, let those wheels spin to get some forward momentum, and be vigilant on the steering to overcome torque rotation.

2) Treat a rear wheel car in the snow like a toboggan that you are pushing from the back. That will remind you of the dynamics -- throttle makes the rear want to go faster even if the front isn't ready; emergency brakes (rear brakes) makes the rear go slower and will straighten you out.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Curious to know, why do you say that? I don't disagree that it could happen, I just want to know the reasons behind this assumption?
I say it because it's a statistical fact. Most people trade every few years. Far fewer people fall in love with a car and keep it. Especially if it was a daily driver.

RoushCharged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible, Ruby & Loaded
For a winter car I'd be buying a lightly used Outback with AWD. Do that, then wait a couple of years and buy a used GT for your fun car.

MichaelKael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maggie, beautiful ´15 Cyclone Mustang 51A Magnetic
For a winter car I'd be buying a lightly used Outback with AWD. Do that, then wait a couple of years and buy a used GT for your fun car.
What a party pooper....lol
DO IT !!!!

Sponsored

seakish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Dittos to all of the "you'll be fine" replies. My first car was a used 1980 Mustang 4 speed. I grew up in the Northeast with many bad winters. There was no traction control back then. As others have said, get a good pair of snow tires and you'll be good to go. Actually, I have many great memories of driving in the snow as a crazy 16 year old. Have fun!

-ck

Rough Hollow Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
Just today my 2015 V-6 vert saved me from a deadly crash. Driving 75 MPH on I-10 going west outta Houston in the right lane, I noticed a large empty dump truck in the passing lane coming up fast and about to run into a wrecker truck that was at a dead stop in his lane. The dump truck jumped on his brakes right next to me and he jack-knifed his truck. I had to swerve to my right off the highway and down a 45* angle grass embankment. I flew off the highay at 75MPH and down the hill. No time to hit the brakes. I prayed that I wouldn't roll the car. I tell this story because the car is so well balanced that when I took off down the grass I was able to control the skid down the grassy hill and manage to turn the car down the grassy ditch for about 100 yards. Truly scary shit...if there had been a culvert or tree, I wouldn't be telling this story. I believe my well balanced Mustang helped save me from being nailed by the dump truck which ended on its side closing the interstate. I was able to inch my Mustang up the hill and back to the roadway. Damned dump truck driver almost killed me. After what happened today, no one can convince me that these aren't great cars. Go for it!

filmamigo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang V6 fastback
OP
OP

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Just today my 2015 V-6 vert saved me from a deadly crash. Driving 75 MPH on I-10 going west outta Houston in the right lane, I noticed a large empty dump truck in the passing lane coming up fast and about to run into a wrecker truck that was at a dead stop in his lane. The dump truck jumped on his brakes right next to me and he jack-knifed his truck. I had to swerve to my right off the highway and down a 45* angle grass embankment. I flew off the highay at 75MPH and down the hill. No time to hit the brakes. I prayed that I wouldn't roll the car. I tell this story because the car is so well balanced that when I took off down the grass I was able to control the skid down the grassy hill and manage to turn the car down the grassy ditch for about 100 yards. Truly scary shit...if there had been a culvert or tree, I wouldn't be telling this story. I believe my well balanced Mustang helped save me from being nailed by the dump truck which ended on its side closing the interstate. I was able to inch my Mustang up the hill and back to the roadway. Damned dump truck driver almost killed me. After what happened today, no one can convince me that these aren't great cars. Go for it!
Damn..glad to hear you are ok.

OP
OP

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Thank you all for your input. If the car is not sold today, I am going to the dealer tomorrow to get it.
Sponsored