Close to pulling the trigger on a 2015 V6 - need some encouragement

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
***EDIT: BOUGHT THE STANG!

Hello all,

I am about to pull a trigger on a 2015 Race Red V6 051A package. I am hesitant only because I live in Canada and winters can be pretty bad. Although I am rather confident in my ability to drive the car, it will be shared with my mom for a period of time (6 months to 1 year).

From my research into snow driving, the car handles relatively well in the snow with a good set of snow tires, weight in the trunk and snow mode (which I believe is included on the base V6).

Can anyone with relatively new experience with RWD and snow chime in how it was like driving the stang in winter? Was the car easy to handle on snowy and icy roads? How high off the ground is the car? Was getting stuck in the snow a problem?

Thanks for your time! I hope that you can convince me to get the damn thing!:thumbsup:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lord Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT Mustang
There's a video on Youtube of some guys testing an s550 with some snow tires on a frozen lake. They had several people drive it and it looked like it handles fine. Especially with the extra wet/snow nannies on.

OP
OP

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
There's a video on Youtube of some guys testing an s550 with some snow tires on a frozen lake. They had several people drive it and it looked like it handles fine. Especially with the extra wet/snow nannies on.
I think I saw that last night. However, I'm assuming those guys are pretty experienced and I was curious to hear some information from a perspective of a relatively new RWD owner.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
You don't get snow mode on the base trim cars. A good set of winter tires should work fine. I drove mine on some unplowed roads this past winter and the car handled fine even up some hills and that was with cheap all-seasons. Just need to know when to give it gas and when to let off

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
You don't get snow mode on the base trim cars. A good set of winter tires should work fine. I drove mine on some unplowed roads this past winter and the car handled fine even up some hills and that was with cheap all-seasons. Just need to know when to give it gas and when to let off
Damn, I missed that one. I randomly asked the salesperson about this yesterday during a test drive, but obviously was too blinded by the rest of the car to actually test it (played with the steering modes instead).

How much of a game changer are drive modes? Does snow drive mode make a huge difference?

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
The drive modes make a big difference in the experience imo, but you can't miss what you never had. Snow mode changes some stability control settings and throttle mapping. It basically makes it really hard to give it too much gas. If you can light foot it you'll be fine

OP
OP

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
How similar is it to Traction Control? I drive a Chevy Cruze (FWD) and that's what I am accustomed to (power limit when traction is lost happening)

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Most modern vehicles have traction control. It's much more noticeable than that. It basically feels like you lose like 40ft-lb torque as soon as you switch into snow/wet

Boff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP 401a Race Red
Damn, I missed that one. I randomly asked the salesperson about this yesterday during a test drive, but obviously was too blinded by the rest of the car to actually test it (played with the steering modes instead).

How much of a game changer are drive modes? Does snow drive mode make a huge difference?
I tried the snow mode and hated it, even in snow. It just dulled the throttle too much. I drove it in Sport mode all winter with Blizzaks and it was fabulous. Very easy to control with little of the twitchiness of past Mustangs. Even ice is fine because the car is so well-balanced and because the control interfaces (steering, throttle, brakes) are well-calibrated.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Youll be fine. You could probably get by with the all season tires in all but the worst storms. I've had my 2012 v6 in 6-8 inches of snow with all seasons and never felt like I was about to end up in a snowbank. But just to be safe side snow tires and a cheap set of wheels will probably last til you get bored and trade it in a few years.

OP
OP

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
But just to be safe side snow tires and a cheap set of wheels will probably last til you get bored and trade it in a few years.
Curious to know, why do you say that? I don't disagree that it could happen, I just want to know the reasons behind this assumption?

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
The car has traction control regardless. Snow and wet mode feels like you are dragging a 1000 pound anvil behind the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

73MachI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT M6 PP ESP Magnetic
You - and your Mom - will be fine with snow tires and some weight in the trunk. I learned how to drive in Canada in rear wheel drive cars with big sloppy V8s in the snow. The base model is fine - your right foot is the "snow/rain" mode control.

BTW there is always this:http://www.carcontrolschool.com

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Less of a deal with V6 torque than with the GT. You just have to feather-foot the gas and you will be fine.
Sponsored