Sponsored

Clear bra (XPel) seams and coverage examples needed

Lilby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Just had the full front and a couple of spots around the rear done in XPel on my car and I'm not happy at all with it. I was told the kit applied in between the stripes, not on them. I got the car back and the seams on the outside of the stripes are perfect, then it looks like someone cut some sizes about the width of the stripes with scissors and laid them down, and then used their teeth to cut a strip to lay down between the stripes. Then with our eyes closed using fingernail clippers, we cut around the hood vent making sure to leave a good 1/2" of room for the seam.

But only on the hood, because on the bumper and just above the splitter it was laid out completely over the stripes. I have seams on the bumper where it goes from vertical to horizontal, and I have no coverage at all behind the fender vents.

I'm looking for some folks to provide me with a picture or two of the application of XPel or whatever you may have used, specifically on the stripes on the hood and bumper. I'd really appreciate seeing some examples I can take back here to discuss how we're going to rectify the situation. At this point, there isn't a single panel on the front of the car that I'm happy with. I keep reading people saying "Oh people can't even tell I have clear bra installed". Well, we don't have that situation here. Super disappointing day...
Sponsored

GT350AG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erick
Vehicle(s)
16' GT350
Probably bad installer. I used to detail high end cars and almost all had xpel or suntek. our ppf guy did amazing work couldn't even tell there was film. It all depends on who installs it. Take it back to them and tell them ur not happy.

GT 350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT350, 2008 Shelby GT/SC convertible
Take it back. On my car, it is invisible.

I used Suntek because it has less orange peel than Excel. Additionally, Expel has issues honoring their warranty from what I have heard.

OP
OP
Lilby

Lilby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
For sure, I'm taking the car back, that's a given. What I'm hoping to obtain from some folks is a picture or two of some of the seams, specifically around the stripes, maybe around the heat extractor in the hood, some of the corners and surfaces on the front bumper, etc. I'd like to be able to provide some pics of what it should look like so I'm not arguing back and forth being told that "it can't be done any other way...".

Appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Sponsored

El Diablo

Made in USA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have full XPEL coverage on my hood. My installer did a custom job and covered each of the stripes as it's own separate piece. You can only see seems if you look closely.

I know some people have had the hood laid as one piece covering the entire hood and stripes.

Either way the stripes need to be protected.

An experience installer is the most important factor in a clean XPEL installation.
Good luck.

Here is a a close up shot of the hood showing the XPEL seems.
It's is very hard to see in person as the video shows.

[ame]

straightliner1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R #HR262 / 2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali
Just had the full front and a couple of spots around the rear done in XPel on my car and I'm not happy at all with it. I was told the kit applied in between the stripes, not on them. I got the car back and the seams on the outside of the stripes are perfect, then it looks like someone cut some sizes about the width of the stripes with scissors and laid them down, and then used their teeth to cut a strip to lay down between the stripes. Then with our eyes closed using fingernail clippers, we cut around the hood vent making sure to leave a good 1/2" of room for the seam.

But only on the hood, because on the bumper and just above the splitter it was laid out completely over the stripes. I have seams on the bumper where it goes from vertical to horizontal, and I have no coverage at all behind the fender vents.

I'm looking for some folks to provide me with a picture or two of the application of XPel or whatever you may have used, specifically on the stripes on the hood and bumper. I'd really appreciate seeing some examples I can take back here to discuss how we're going to rectify the situation. At this point, there isn't a single panel on the front of the car that I'm happy with. I keep reading people saying "Oh people can't even tell I have clear bra installed". Well, we don't have that situation here. Super disappointing day...
I had this EXACT same issue with my car. The vendor had misrepresented their history with doing GT350's prior. When I picked up the car, the stripes (matte) were NOT completed per the agreement and the overall quality left a lot to be desired. Since the stripes are not straight and not of equal width and spacing, cutting the film on a plotter is not an option. The answer: knifeless tape. Think fishing line under a 1/4" width of clear adhesive-backed film. You lay this down along your edge, then apply your desired film on top. WHen the adhesive cures, you pull the line which cuts the vinyl and you're left with a perfect edge. My car was redone with this method and it looks incredible! Props to Imperial Works in Sacramento! PM me if you have anymore questions.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have full XPEL coverage on my hood. My installer did a custom job and covered each of the stripes as it's own separate piece. You can only see seems if you look closely.

I know some people have had the hood laid as one piece covering the entire hood and stripes.

Either way the stripes need to be protected.

An experience installer is the most important factor in a clean XPEL installation.
Good luck.
Had Suntek Ultra done full hood and no need to take a pic because it looks just like when it came from factory. Understand others have said there is issue with matte stripes on Rs but curious why they would give you seams otherwise just because of the stripes if you are doing the full hood anyway. Is there something about Xpel that it is harder to install as one piece?

Praehotec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 mustang, 2017 GT350R
I had full Sunktek ultra as well, with Xpell stealth over matte stripes. I posted a few pictures here as well. The lines are almost impossible to see, except at the stripes, and then only if you look closely. If you need additional views other than these and what others provided, I can take some other shots. Hope you get it all sorted out!

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83225

Sponsored

El Diablo

Made in USA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Is there something about Xpel that it is harder to install as one piece?

It has nothing to do with the film.

There have been a few discussions here before that revolved around covering stripes with one piece or individually. If you search google for 'xpel over stripes on hood' you'll get a bunch of car forums from Porsche to Corvettes discussing the same thing.

I can't say one way or the other which is technically the better method for covering stripes. I went with my installers recommendation. He is highly respected and has been in the business forever. He's done countless exotics.
That was good enough for me.

What I was told is that if you use one piece to cover the paint and the vinyl there will be a little ridge formed where the Xpel meets the stripe. The Xpel will form into the ridge but over time it may form an air gap and dirt could get in there.

Seemed to make sense to me and I trusted my installer. I was very happy with the end results.

I think in the end it comes down the installer you use and his techniques.

another thing to note... The stripes are vinyl and that in itself creates an edge.
The XPEL basically follows the same edge as the vinyl lines.

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
Hey guys,

Can you help me understand why there is a need for both a coating such as Ceramic Pro or CQuartz AND also a wrap such as XPel or Suntek?

My car has been in the shop since I got it so I have been doing a lot of reading and I am having trouble distinguishing what the differences are. It looks like it is a tad bit of overkill to do both technologies on top of each other as they protect against the same things. What am I missing?

El Diablo

Made in USA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hey guys,

Can you help me understand why there is a need for both a coating such as Ceramic Pro or CQuartz AND also a wrap such as XPel or Suntek?

My car has been in the shop since I got it so I have been doing a lot of reading and I am having trouble distinguishing what the differences are. It looks like it is a tad bit of overkill to do both technologies on top of each other as they protect against the same things. What am I missing?

Ceramic coatings are the latest greatest in paint protection. Ceramic Pro and CQuartz are name brands. You don't need any paint protection and its one of those things that are up to each person to decide if it is something you want to spend the coin on. It's all expensive.

But... to me totally worth it.

The Xpel is a clear protection film that does what you think it does. Cover the car with a protective layer. You wash and wax your car as you normally would with the film on your car. Rock chips will be a thing of the past and your paint will be protected against the majority of road debris and contaminants.

Take a look at the bumper of a sports car that is driven and isn't protected and you'll see it will have tiny rock chips all over. XPEL prevents this.

If you add a ceramic coating on top of that you add an additional hard permeant coating that is resistant to contaminants.

Ceramic coatings give the car a permanent wet glossiness look. No wax is ever needed again. You just wash your car with soap and water and it looks like it has 10 coats of wax on it. It's like a teflon coating on the car where nothing can stick to it. It is also scratch resistant and has hydrophobic properties. Dirt just rolls off with water.

Watch some videos on youtube and do some research. The stuff is amazing.

you can read about ceramic pro here
http://ceramicpro.com/your-industry/ceramic-coating-for-cars-ceramic-pro/

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
Thanks Diablo for the great explanation. I am very back and forth but at least after reading your reply and doing some more research online I have a firm grasp of what the differences are. I'm not too crazy about the idea of a tangible film being wrapped around my car like cellophane. Your car and others look amazing so I know that's just in my head but I still hate it lol

Xpel seems to have a premium cost associated with it....$7-9k for a car I might drive once a week sounds crazy tbh. I could almost repaint the entire car every 10yrs for approx the same cost. Doing the front/impact areas only is an option I am seriously considering.

Gold Ceramic Pro price quote I have is ~$1800 including prep...this will happen. Leaning towards only that at the moment and taking my chances with the rocks. I am much less worried about rocks than I am fender benders/accidents and Xpel would not help me much with that in this area (people are crazy here).

Last edited:

El Diablo

Made in USA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Xpel seems to have a premium cost associated with it....$7-9k for a car I might drice once a week sounds crazy tbh. I could almost repaint the entire car every 10yrs for approx the same cost. Doing the front/impact areas only is an option I am seriously considering.
$7k-$9K for the car? Those are big-time rip off prices.

I have the front bumper, full hood, full roof, front fenders, side mirrors and headlights and rear quarter pannels. I think I paid around $1600-$1800 for that.
can't remember exactly but it wasn't double the cost of the xpel to install.

Retail pricing is on the XPEL website.
The entire front end of the car is $1159, which is basically all you really need.
installer shouldn't charge you more than you can order it for yourself. They get it wholesale. So how much for installation above that?

I'd do some research to see what others are paying for Xpel coverage.

http://www.xpel.com/paint-protectio...rucks/2016/Ford/Mustang/Fastback/Shelby_GT350
Sponsored