Sponsored

Clarifying wheel sizes

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
There are a ton of threads on how big you can go, if it pokes and if it rubs. One thing I haven't seen much on is what it costs to go big.

What I mean by this is if you need an excessive amount of camber to get the tires under the fenders. No offense to the guys who like this, it isn't my thing. To prevent going into side conversations about what I mean, I'll be very specific.

• What is the widest 19" wheel you can fit in the front using Ford factory alignment specs without rubbing on anything or limiting turn radius?
  • What offset is required for this without using a spacer?​
  • What is the widest 19" wheel you can fit in the rear using Ford factory alignment specs without rubbing on anything?
  • What offset is required for this without using a spacer?​

If there is a thread on this, my search results showed what is the biggest you can get but nothing on whether it required aggressive alignment specs to fit.
Sponsored

NDSP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
I'm sure some of the vendors will tell you to call and they can set you up. But I'll give you what I think I've been able to derive from all the threads.

Up front 19X10 with 35mm offset and 285/30/19or20
Out Back: 19X11 with 50mm offset and 305/30/19or20

I myself prefer a little tuck, so I'd like a little more offset in the back. But most "in stock" wheel sizes are as I've listed.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Pretty close. And this still allows some wiggle room (I was running 19x10 ET40 & 19x11 ET55 on stock suspension).

Rear is a bit conservative. Can easilly go another half inch wider.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
You're assuming that camber kills tires. It doesn't.

A reasonable amount of extra camber doesn't really increase wear by much at all. Its excessive toe that kills tires.

You're also assuming that the ford alignment specs are best for tire wear, but ... that is highly dependent on how you use your vehicle. As a matter of fact the Ford alignments kind of suck if you're into cornering hard, especially when it comes to front tires shoulder wear. You actually want more camber up front if you are using those wide tires for what they are good for.

NDSP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
Pretty close. And this still allows some wiggle room (I was running 19x10 ET40 & 19x11 ET55 on stock suspension).

Rear is a bit conservative. Can easilly go another half inch wider.
Curious as to what wheels you're running and if they are custom or off the self? Also, pics? if I'm not mistaken you probably have a little tuck which is exactly what I'd like to have. I'm not a fan of the flush and poke is a huge no go for me.

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Curious as to what wheels you're running and if they are custom or off the self? Also, pics? if I'm not mistaken you probably have a little tuck which is exactly what I'd like to have. I'm not a fan of the flush and poke is a huge no go for me.
Forgestar F14s. So semi-custom. I actually had 275/35R19 & 295/35R19 MPSS, but with plenty of clearance. I am confident that 285/35 & 315/35 would fit with these wheels.

But with the shorter tires, it was a fairly big fender gap. But runing a size or two larger would help fill that.

PS - I completely agree with Nightmare. Burned up a front tire because of insufficient camber at a track day. Camber plates going in soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
You're assuming that camber kills tires. It doesn't.

A reasonable amount of extra camber doesn't really increase wear by much at all. Its excessive toe that kills tires.

You're also assuming that the ford alignment specs are best for tire wear, but ... that is highly dependent on how you use your vehicle. As a matter of fact the Ford alignments kind of suck if you're into cornering hard, especially when it comes to front tires shoulder wear. You actually want more camber up front if you are using those wide tires for what they are good for.
It wasn't tire wear oriented, just wanted to baseline the conversation so folks don't get side tracked with definitions of "excessive". One man's excessive is another man's perfection. Ford's specs are pretty conservative. So, if your wheels clear with Ford specs, I'm confident any custom specs will be fine so long as they aren't anything crazy.

Though, since we are the topic, this is what I mean by excessive camber:
too_much_camber__nah_by_drift_queen7-d5qhb3f.jpg

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
Forgestar F14s. So semi-custom. I actually had 275/35R19 & 295/35R19 MPSS, but with plenty of clearance. I am confident that 285/35 & 315/35 would fit with these wheels.

But with the shorter tires, it was a fairly big fender gap. But runing a size or two larger would help fill that.

PS - I completely agree with Nightmare. Burned up a front tire because of insufficient camber at a track day. Camber plates going in soon.
I am running 315/35/20 in my rear on vossen CV3-R 20x10.5 +45 offset. On stock ecoboost suspension (non-PP) about once a week I go through a dip in the road that causes them to rub in the wheel well.

EDIT: forgot to mention I had them check alignment when I had them installed and they said everything was in factory spec but they adjusted a few things a couple hundredths of a degree to even some things out. So I am running factory ford spec which is sounds like you are looking for.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
How tall is a 315/35R20? Wider AND taller multiplies the fitment issues.

I assume a +45 with 315s is very much a flush look. All the extra space in the rear over the front is on the inside. So you need bigger offsets if trying to fit the widest possible tire. GT350 is ET62 and 56 (350R).

Last edited:

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
I am running 315/35/20 in my rear on vossen CV3-R 20x10.5 +45 offset. On stock ecoboost suspension (non-PP) about once a week I go through a dip in the road that causes them to rub in the wheel well.

EDIT: forgot to mention I had them check alignment when I had them installed and they said everything was in factory spec but they adjusted a few things a couple hundredths of a degree to even some things out. So I am running factory ford spec which is sounds like you are looking for.
You could probably throw in another .2-.5 degrees of camber and alleviate that issue.

Sponsored

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How tall is a 315/35R20? Wider AND taller multiplies the fitment issues.

I assume a +45 with 315s is very much a flush look. All the extra space in the rear over the front is on the inside. So you need bigger offsets if trying to fit the widest possible tire. GT350 is ET56 and 60+ (I forget which is the R and which is standard).
I have pretty much the exact same setup and me and [MENTION=28999]yomamma219[/MENTION] went back and forth together while doing tires haha. Same Wheels pretty much as well. His are just 5 spoke while mine are 7. 315/35/20 is taller than stock. 305/30/20 is right on the dot pretty much. With a 315/30 it probably wouldn't rub on large bumps at all. No issues with my 305/30/20 at +45 at all.

+45 on mine pokes just the FAINTEST bit but I can tell the camber on the side that pokes is off. Definitely much closer to 0 than my right wheel. An alignment will solve that. Fronts are SPOT ON at fitment and fit flush.

Here's the side that's off on camber.
230874d1493852312-20170503_174040.jpg

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's how flush the right side is with the correct camber.

attachment.jpg

Here's the left side that needs adjusted.

attachment.jpg

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I have 20x10's on the front with 285/35's and 201x11's on the rear with 315/35's, no rubbing anywhere over any bumps, turns, whatever. No camber adjustments. Lowered on an Eibach Pro-Kit.

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
What is the widest 19" wheel you can fit in the front using Ford factory alignment specs without rubbing on anything or limiting turn radius?

Widest front I have done on factory lowered S550 platform

19x11 ET 25 with 305/35/19 tires

What offset is required for this without using a spacer?

No spacer

What is the widest 19" wheel you can fit in the rear using Ford factory alignment specs without rubbing on anything?

19x11.5 ET 56 with 345/30/19 tires

What offset is required for this without using a spacer?

No spacer

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have 20x10's on the front with 285/35's and 201x11's on the rear with 315/35's, no rubbing anywhere over any bumps, turns, whatever. No camber adjustments. Lowered on an Eibach Pro-Kit.
I believe the needed camber adjustments are for those of us were off from the factory. From the factory my left wheel is WAY off. You can actually sit behind the car and visibly see my right wheel is cambered in, while my left is pretty damn close to 0. Just haven't gotten it fixed yet. You can see the difference in the pictures.
Sponsored