michael5.0

michael5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I do vintage restorations and custom painting and I like Meguiars 105 followed by 205 and then carnuba wax. You can use a generic orange waffle pad for both going from medium pressure to light pressure. I've found guys tend to use too much pressure and that causes the haze.
PXL_20240405_212859165.jpg
Good to know, thank you
Sponsored

Trap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302
I used the orange foam pad that comes with the kit. I didn’t think to use another polish because they advertised vss to finish as a polish
I agree with the to much pressure, to cure it get a good finish polish and white foam pad. Let the machine do the work with light pressure and it should polish right up for you

OP
OP
michael5.0

michael5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
I agree with the to much pressure, to cure it get a good finish polish and white foam pad. Let the machine do the work with light pressure and it should polish right up for you
Ok thanks!

Kabayo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT
That looks like compound haze to me. Your best bet is to follow up with a finer polish on a softer pad to remove that.

If you burnt through the clear, it wouldn't be even and shiny like that (haze notwithstanding). You'd notice splotchy areas that weren't as shiny as others.
I would use turtle wax or Mcguires (spelling ) cleaner wax and put in on by hand. It’s too easy to burn your paint especially along the creases.

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I used the orange foam pad that comes with the kit. I didn’t think to use another polish because they advertised vss to finish as a polish
And that's the problem. The kit is trash and so is most Chemical guys products. I'm sure a finishing pad and polish would get the shine back. Hopefully lesson learned for you.

Sponsored

OP
OP
michael5.0

michael5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
And that's the problem. The kit is trash and so is most Chemical guys products. I'm sure a finishing pad and polish would get the shine back. Hopefully lesson learned for you.
Yup! Should’ve came here before just going by their demonstration videos

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
This is an interesting video on what you need to be doing to burn through clear coat. Obviously, you should be careful along edges and crease lines, but you have to be doing something quite deliberate and stupid to burn through clear coat when using a dual action polisher, a foam finishing pad and a fine finishing polish.

GrayMater22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium
From my experience, I'd stay away from Chemical Guys, anything they make.

I found their line confusing, with a lot of product overlap and little detail or guidance on use.

For the one or two items that might work OK, most are poor performers or don't work at all.

Products that present a good appearance, how long they last (sealants for example), is slight.

YMMV.
One product they do make that is solid is their black light for dark colors or black cars, the only other ones are the citrus wash and Better Butter Wax.

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
This is an interesting video on what you need to be doing to burn through clear coat. Obviously, you should be careful along edges and crease lines, but you have to be doing something quite deliberate and stupid to burn through clear coat when using a dual action polisher, a foam finishing pad and a fine finishing polish.

Interesting video. 👍🏻

akasmitty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
If you don't have a da polisher get one. I bought mine from Harbor Freight. Works for what I need it for. I'm no pro. Good pads certianly help. Detail king has a lot of videos on detailing. Some of there products are great.
Sponsored