Cervini Ram Air Hood Fiberglass With Louvers GT 2015-2017

Bestia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Race Red Mustang
Anyone have one of these fitted? Keen to get one just worried about this statement in the description ;

We do NOT recommend installing this hood on models manufactured for sale outside of the US due to the factory integrated active hood safety feature that is built into the OE hood hinges on those models.

Does anyone know if they can still be fitted on an aus spec gt s550 without too many headaches?

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
All I know is that they are HEAVY! Apparently about triple the weight of the factory bonnet.
Just saying.

OP
OP
Bestia

Bestia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Race Red Mustang
Yeh thats interrsting considering they are meant to be made of fiberglass

Ive emailed cervini hoping they bring me some good news

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

It's a common misconception that fibreglass MUST be lighter than metal. In this case, you're replacing an uber thin aluminium bonnet with some thick FG.
I haven't actually lifted both, but a guy who has reckons that its WAY heavier. :shrug:

Namda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue manual GT
cant see the pic for some reason, but if it's the cervini ram air hood with the 2 openings, then I have seen a few of these installed on some local cars.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bestia

Bestia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Race Red Mustang
cant see the pic for some reason, but if it's the cervini ram air hood with the 2 openings, then I have seen a few of these installed on some local cars.
Cheers mate yeh thats the one, im glad to hear because i changed my car colour from ignot silver to red racer because i liked the hood in red

I guess ill.order it soon cheers

w0rt3x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT Fastback Manual Ruby Red
Keep in mind these FB hoods are not ADR compliant

Namda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue manual GT
Keep in mind these FB hoods are not ADR compliant
They do not need to be ADR compliant IF they meet the ccriteria set out in the National Vehicle Standards VB14.

Clifnotes:
- MUST be made of fibreglass
- It must use the OEM fixing points and provide the same fixed strength.
- Must be at least 3.5mm thick.
- There must be no singular opening exceeding 4000mm(squared)
- It must retain a minimum of 11m view distance to ground. (i.e. no massive hood scoops)

I made a post about it a while ago but there was minimal activity haha

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70941

EDIT: I'm not saying it's going to be road legal, I'm saying that we don't know because it hasn't been built to Australian specifications. I would think that it is not road legal, but I can't confirm.

NOTE: I actually contacted Cervini, Anderson Composites, Autoware and Shelby to get clarification on whether their aftermarket bonnets meet the cited specifications, but none of them were willing to say yes.

The answer I got from most of them was something like "due to the production process we cannot guarantee that it will be 3.5mm thick as the thickness can vary due to prodcuction methods."

Shelby did not respond; I later found out that their bonnet (GTE) is not fibreglass (some sort of plastic)

69Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 5.0
I would presume that they would most likely all be non-compliant over here. The australian hood has a lot of work done on crumple zones which I presume these aftermarket hoods/bonnets would not have unless this has been done over here and tested for compliance.

Sponsored

PPPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Mustang GT Auto

The standard hood is made of Aluminium - lighter than fibreglass.

OP
OP
Bestia

Bestia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Race Red Mustang
OP
OP
Bestia

Bestia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Race Red Mustang
They do not need to be ADR compliant IF they meet the ccriteria set out in the National Vehicle Standards VB14.

Clifnotes:
- MUST be made of fibreglass
- It must use the OEM fixing points and provide the same fixed strength.
- Must be at least 3.5mm thick.
- There must be no singular opening exceeding 4000mm(squared)
- It must retain a minimum of 11m view distance to ground. (i.e. no massive hood scoops)

I made a post about it a while ago but there was minimal activity haha

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70941

EDIT: I'm not saying it's going to be road legal, I'm saying that we don't know because it hasn't been built to Australian specifications. I would think that it is not road legal, but I can't confirm.

NOTE: I actually contacted Cervini, Anderson Composites, Autoware and Shelby to get clarification on whether their aftermarket bonnets meet the cited specifications, but none of them were willing to say yes.

The answer I got from most of them was something like "due to the production process we cannot guarantee that it will be 3.5mm thick as the thickness can vary due to prodcuction methods."

Shelby did not respond; I later found out that their bonnet (GTE) is not fibreglass (some sort of plastic)
Thanks for the info, saved me a shitload of tìme ŕesearchiñg

I guess its a roll of the dice if I do end up getting one

69Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 5.0
Thanks for the info, saved me a shitload of tìme ŕesearchiñg

I guess its a roll of the dice if I do end up getting one
I would be a bit cautious if I were you, because the document cited includes the following:-

Modified vehicles must continue to comply with the Australian Design Rules (ADRs) to which they were originally constructed, except as allowed for in the Australian Vehicle Standards Rules (AVSR). These modified vehicles must also comply with the applicable in-service requirements of the AVSR.

I know a vendor that was trying to get a bonnet approved had to go through over 20 in testing and make modifications specifically to address the crumple zone issue before they got the bonnet approved for ADR purposes.

Namda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue manual GT
I would be a bit cautious if I were you, because the document cited includes the following:-

Modified vehicles must continue to comply with the Australian Design Rules (ADRs) to which they were originally constructed, except as allowed for in the Australian Vehicle Standards Rules (AVSR). These modified vehicles must also comply with the applicable in-service requirements of the AVSR.

I know a vendor that was trying to get a bonnet approved had to go through over 20 in testing and make modifications specifically to address the crumple zone issue before they got the bonnet approved for ADR purposes.
Not a lawyer, but I don't see why they would need to get ADR tests done as the document specifically states that it doesn't need to.

As far as I am aware, the bulletin in which the quoted text is from is a portion of the Australian Vehicle Standards Rules.

Out of interest, how long ago did said vendor have to jump through all of the hoops? I know that the AVSR and associated VSBs only came into effect within the past decade. Is it possible that this case was prior to the implementation of these standards/rules?

It is also worth noting that each state may have different rules. I believe, from memory, that QLD and SA had more relaxed rules regarding custom fibreglass panels.

EDIT: it's also worth noting that this document is not like the ADRs in that it is a "living document" that is subject to change without notice.
Sponsored