Centre console flipped for RHD?

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
Everything I've read so far indicates Ford won't be reversing the centre console for RHD and leaving the handbrake on the left side and cup holders to the right.

I find this hard to comprehend as surely it wouldn't be hard or expensive to get this crucial driver interface right.

What do others think or have have you seen any info that suggests they will flip the console?

If Ford doesn't reverse the console for RHD, is this something for the aftermarket to address? Could be possible to scan the LHD console and digitally flip it and manufacture??
Sponsored

Firepath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special yet
Phhh I doubt they would not flip it. They moved the cup-holders away from centre to get out of the way of the gearstick. I very much doubt they would leave it right in the way of the driver for the first international version.

What have you read that indicates they won't reverse it?

OP
OP
OzS550

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
EVO Australia (Jan '14) and again recently in Cars Guide.

"At this stage, the centre console will not be flipped for right-hand-drive markets, meaning the shift lever and conventional handbrake lever will be closest to the passenger, as will the engine start-stop button, while the cup holders are closest to the driver. However, Raj Nair, suggested that if the money could be found and the investment justified, flipping the console is something they would consider when the new Mustang is due to be facelifted in a few years’ time."
From;
http://www.evomagazine.com.au/all-new-ford-mustang/

I agree it seems crazy if they don't flip it so I hope someone got their wires crossed.

Firepath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special yet
Yeh that article sounds pretty black and white, but maybe what they were told was about the part with the start button in it.

It seems VERY slack to leave the cup-holders awkward like that, but then again, if we get the dumbo mirrors and white tail-lights, I don't see why they wouldn't balls-up the interior also... No doubt pricing will be on the wrong side of the initial articles too. Feeling pretty disappointed by what we will probably be getting.

Sponsored

Haz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FPV GS Superchanged V8
They would wanna flip the centre console , after going 1 Ford and closing the Aust Ford factory then not got doing the whole hog with the RHD version of the mustang would be half assed

OP
OP
OzS550

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
They do, I've seen the RHD interior
As in Ford does flip the console for RHD?

Tell us more; is everything changed including handbrake and even offset gear-lever position?

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
I didn't pay that much attention to it know all the details, there's usually just a few hanging around PDC. I want to say yes, everything was flipped (which would be logical), but I can double check if I see another one lying around.

OP
OP
OzS550

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
I didn't pay that much attention to it know all the details, there's usually just a few hanging around PDC. I want to say yes, everything was flipped (which would be logical), but I can double check if I see another one lying around.
Yes please!

On behalf of the RHD world, I think I can say we would be most grateful :hail: and I would think that would be quite a scoop! :clap2:

What's PDC?

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile

Found that in a 2 second google, looks like the dash was flipped (including start button), but the cup holders remain on the same side.

Sponsored
OP
OP
OzS550

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
That picture is / was on this forum with a heap of others that have since disappeared and were attributed to Car & Driver I recall. At the time most believed it was a Photoshop effort although if it is they've taken to trouble to covert the a/c temps to Celsius rather than Fahrenheit. I remember from the other (now vanished) photos, phone sync still said 'Pauls' phone as all the other stock (LHD) photos do. I can't recall what the Sat Nav direction said but for some reason I think it may have been a Sydney street. Could be completely making that up 'tho.

As you say the centre console remains LHD biased in this photo placing the drink holders exactly where you wouldn't want them.

Am I correct that you implied you have seen an actual real-life centre console with your own eyes, that is RHD centric?

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
No it's right. Unless if the prototype in the parking lot today is just designed to fool the competition, it had the position of the cup holders and e-brake

OP
OP
OzS550

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
So just to be absolutely clear, you're saying the photo is accurate with the cup holders still off-set to the right and gear lever to the left? i.e. still correct for LHD but incredibly awkward for RHD?

In fact it will be easier for our passengers to change gear...

"Honey it's a bit of a stretch, would you mind putting the stick in reverse for me?"

...or..."Oh sorry Dear, I was just pulling on the hand brake, honestly!"

All Ford's rhetoric of this being a global Mustang will collapse between the seats if they retain the LHD centric console for their RHD markets.

Where have they put the bonnet release? Will that be on the left hand side of the vehicle too? What about the indicator stalk? :rant:

Thanks Stirling Archer for taking the time to check for us, I appreciate your local intel. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
OzS550

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
I've been looking more closely at the interior photos and I can now see the shifter is not off-set to the left, it is in the middle.

attachment.jpg

It's the position of the handbrake that gives that impression.

This means two things;

Firstly, good! RHD drivers won't need to reach further for gear changes.

On the other hand it should have been even easier for Ford to do the job correctly in the first place. Just mirror image the console and allow another 10cm of handbrake cable.

Am I over reacting to this or are other RHD'ers also disappointed?