Sponsored

Catalytic Converters, heat and transmission limp mode

GT 350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT350, 2008 Shelby GT/SC convertible
A question for the members here, especially those that might have a mechanical or engineering background. While my question concerns the catalytic converters on the 2015-2016 GT350s, it is not intended to be another transmission "limp mode" thread.

While not a certified mechanic myself, I am fairly capable at working on cars and have done so many times in the past. I also have worked on many of my Harleys so I have a fairly decent background in understanding and repairing most of my vehicles.

One thing that I can't help wonder is, can the catalytic converters add enough significant heat to the air around the transmission to keep it from cooling properly. The converters are fairly close to the transmission, with one on each side. The normal operating temperature for the cats is 800 plus degrees (internally I believe) and they are placed about 12 inches from the transmission. Temperatures can also go much higher, and from what I've read, reach temperatures as high as 2000 degrees.

I can't help but wonder that due to the proximity of the cats to the transmission that they could play a part in overheating the area around the transmission thus preventing it to cool properly. I would suspect that under track conditions or some type of load, the transmission will heat up enough by itself and if the air is heated extensively around the transmission by the cats that it really can't properly cool.

It would seem to me that if the cats were moved elsewhere, if this is possible, the ambient air around the transmission would be cooler allowing the transmission to cool properly.

Maybe someone here could give their opinion regarding my inquiry. Thanks in advance.

(Attached is a photo of the transmission/cat area)
20160227_104856.sm.jpg
Sponsored

buggy whip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford pinto, '16 GT350/OxFo/ Trac/Stripe delete
On the "resonator delete" thread, post #402.
This is what I did to cut out some heat generated from the cats.
The product is Heatshield Armor.

I have a Track Pack car, and I still wrapped the cats. It was cheap insurance.
I used 4 large worm clamps. Cut off the extra length I didn't need.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
On the "resonator delete" thread, post #402.
This is what I did to cut out some heat generated from the cats.
The product is Heatshield Armor.

I have a Track Pack car, and I still wrapped the cats. It was cheap insurance.
I used 4 large worm clamps. Cut off the extra length I didn't need.

Would you have a photo of the wrapped cats ?'thx

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Thx for posting, i might be tempted to give this stuff a try to see if it might lower my coolerless tranny temp some.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Probably helping to keep some of the heat in the cats too, where it belongs and maybe heat them up a little faster too.
Any concerns of the cats getting too hot? Could this lead to shorter lifespan?

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Any concerns of the cats getting too hot? Could this lead to shorter lifespan?
Jim keep in mind that his cats are wrapped half way around on the cats side only, so heat can exit the other side.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Jim keep in mind that his cats are wrapped half way around on the cats side only, so heat can exit the other side.
Yeah, I didn't pick up on the Dan. The ADD must be kicking up :lol: Thanks for pointing it out:thumbsup:
Sponsored