Sponsored

Car won't start after sub amp install

MrTej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP MT
Someone else posted this same problem a few months ago but there was no resolution in the thread. I just installed an amp for a sub yesterday. After the install the car started immediately and I went out to run an errand. I got back into the car to leave and it turned over but wouldn't start. First thing I did was pulled the fuse on my 4ga power wire under the hood and it started up immediately. In the other topic, the OP says he disconnected his LOC and his car started right up. I am not using an LOC; the amp I am using has high level inputs.

I'm thinking its either a bad ground (I used one of the open bolt holes in the spare tire well- maybe I didn't sand off enough paint?) OR the location I connected the power wire to in the fuse block under the hood is not a good place. I currently have it connected to the first slot (closest to the battery) in the fuse block.

Has anyone else seen this or have any ideas of what could be causing this?

Where are you guys connecting your power wire under the hood?
Sponsored

OP
OP
MrTej

MrTej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP MT
It seems that I fixed the problem by switching the high level inputs to a LOC. So far with the LOC, I have not had any issues with the car not starting and actually the sub sounds much better and the bass roll off I was originally experiencing went away.

Something else interesting that I noticed- before switching to the LOC I watched the volt meter gauge on the dash go from 14 to 12 as soon as I would turn up the volume. After the switch it stay steady between 13-14 volts, with no drastic drops when turning up the volume.

I'm just hoping that I don't jinx myself by posting this!

pumxee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hamza
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 DIB
It seems that I fixed the problem by switching the high level inputs to a LOC. So far with the LOC, I have not had any issues with the car not starting and actually the sub sounds much better and the bass roll off I was originally experiencing went away.

Something else interesting that I noticed- before switching to the LOC I watched the volt meter gauge on the dash go from 14 to 12 as soon as I would turn up the volume. After the switch it stay steady between 13-14 volts, with no drastic drops when turning up the volume.

I'm just hoping that I don't jinx myself by posting this!
Has everything been fine since?

OP
OP
MrTej

MrTej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP MT
Yes, it has. No problems at all.

Sponsored

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
I'm betting the voltage drop caused computer issues. Shouldn't be a voltage from an LOC or an idle amp tho. My last car was an Acura RL. Needed new battery every 18 months. Computer did not like low voltage at all and whole car systems would go nuts. Mustang is the same. Plan for high quality batteries every 2 years. Still, this should not have happened. It's where you tapped, I think.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
You need to connect stereo equipment directly to the battery, not to the fuse box. The wire going from the battery to that fuse box is only sized for the power needs distributed in that fuse box, not your amplifier.
Sponsored