Car and driver Camaro vs Mustant GTPP numbers

OP
OP

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
A company just dynoed as SS and a Vette same day same Dyno and same gas. The SS put down a little more then 4hp and 8ft tq over the Vette.
[ame]
Sponsored

DAGO GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 RAPTOR, 2015 GT PP
Good for the Camaro fans but it is not good to have the vette and camaro this close in performance or a video like this on the Internet for GM from a sales perspective.

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2013 BOSS 302
The difference is actually higher than that, as the vette should have 2-3% less drive-train loss, vette guys are going to have some heartache.

dcasandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS Premium 2016
Vette still had a window sticker just off dealer lot. How many miles on the SS? Vette vs SS Weight?

Sponsored

OP
OP

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
Vette still had a window sticker just off dealer lot. How many miles on the SS? Vette vs SS Weight?
Both cars were brand new. They said the numbers were SAE corrected also.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Good for the Camaro fans but it is not good to have the vette and camaro this close in performance or a video like this on the Internet for GM from a sales perspective.
No worries, the vette with a starting curb weight of 3298 lbs is more than enough for the sales! That gap might even increase with time!

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
I don't think anyone is saying the SS will be faster. Just that it puts down similar power, if not more than the vette.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Ford's overhaul of the 5.0, along with the ten speed box, will allow the GT to claw it's way back.

deven2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Deven
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Premium GT w/ PP
Ford's overhaul of the 5.0, along with the ten speed box, will allow the GT to claw it's way back.
I see it as more of a weight issue at the moment. The Camaro actually LOST weight like GM promised. The Mustang was supposed to but actually gained weight, opposite of what Ford promised. I am in love with my '15 GT, but I'm just being honest.

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I see it as more of a weight issue at the moment. The Camaro actually LOST weight like GM promised. The Mustang was supposed to but actually gained weight, opposite of what Ford promised. I am in love with my '15 GT, but I'm just being honest.
Okay...so...this has oft been repeated..and it's a 50/50 mix of truth and misunderstanding.

While true the 2015 GT base did pick up 86lbs over the 2014 GT base..it's not quite that cut and dry.

The 2014 base obviously had a SRA vs the IRS. A shop over at S V T Perf's forums weighed the 2014 GT track pack's SRA assembly over the 2015 GT PP's IRS assembly and found the entire IRS assembly (Subframe, pumpkin, axles, etc) and found the entire IRS unit was roughly 125lbs (or something like that) over the SRA from the 2014 GT's rear end.

The base GT has brakes that are the size and weight (roughly) of the 2014's Brembo brake package (14" rotors, 4 pot calipers)

The 2014 base GT had a manual drivers and passenger seat, the 2015 GT driver seat is power, not sure on the passenger.

Now lets just assume the 2015 Mustang had kept the SRA, manual seats and smaller brakes, but kept the rest of the upgraded car...

-125lbs (SRA vs IRS)
-15lbs (Manual seat vs Power)
-25lbs (2014 GT brakes vs 2015 GT brakes)

= 3,539 full fuel curb.

or a 79lb weight loss

I recall reading that the 2015 Mustang "body in white" aka the bare unibody and platform structure did lose weight and gain rigidity over the 2014 Mustang BIW, however it lost those savings in content and the new IRS vs the SRA.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Okay...so...this has oft been repeated..and it's a 50/50 mix of truth and misunderstanding.

While true the 2015 GT base did pick up 86lbs over the 2014 GT base..it's not quite that cut and dry.

The 2014 base obviously had a SRA vs the IRS. A shop over at S V T Perf's forums weighed the 2014 GT track pack's SRA assembly over the 2015 GT PP's IRS assembly and found the entire IRS assembly (Subframe, pumpkin, axles, etc) and found the entire IRS unit was roughly 125lbs (or something like that) over the SRA from the 2014 GT's rear end.

The base GT has brakes that are the size and weight (roughly) of the 2014's Brembo brake package (14" rotors, 4 pot calipers)

The 2014 base GT had a manual drivers and passenger seat, the 2015 GT driver seat is power, not sure on the passenger.

Now lets just assume the 2015 Mustang had kept the SRA, manual seats and smaller brakes, but kept the rest of the upgraded car...

-125lbs (SRA vs IRS)
-15lbs (Manual seat vs Power)
-25lbs (2014 GT brakes vs 2015 GT brakes)

= 3,539 full fuel curb.

or a 79lb weight loss

I recall reading that the 2015 Mustang "body in white" aka the bare unibody and platform structure did lose weight and gain rigidity over the 2014 Mustang BIW, however it lost those savings in content and the new IRS vs the SRA.
It still gained weight overall when a direct competitor lost weight. A shit ton of weight was lost by the Camaro. It also lost vs the last gen 1LE in a track test. That was my biggest disappointment. It doesn't matter about if you still kept the SRA. That's an excuse. Competitors are doing it and are lighter, Ford should strive to meet that.

And whether people like to acknowledge it or not, Ford did have the goal of weight loss 2+ years ago when Dave Pericak came out with that in an interview. Idk why that goal was lost.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
It still gained weight overall when a direct competitor lost weight. A shit ton of weight was lost by the Camaro. It also lost vs the last gen 1LE in a track test. That was my biggest disappointment. It doesn't matter about if you still kept the SRA. That's an excuse. Competitors are doing it and are lighter, Ford should strive to meet that.

And whether people like to acknowledge it or not, Ford did have the goal of weight loss 2+ years ago when Dave Pericak came out with that in an interview. Idk why that goal was lost.
Have you looked under a 2015 Mustang and evaluated how much steel is under there vs how much of that is aluminum in the Gen 6 Camaro? Answer: the majority of the Camaro is either aluminum or very thin steel, vs mostly steel with the Mustang.

The Camaro went from a heavy, sedan based platform (Zeta) down to a brand new, lighter platform (Alpha). The Mustang went from an already *very light* coupe platform in the S197 to an *even lighter* and more rigid platform in the S550.

The Mustang has the bracing for the convertible and GT350 built into it from the start, the Camaro uses bolt on bracing for the convertible or HiPo models.

You can't get all worked up about "the Camaro lost weight, period" without explaining HOW it lost more weight in comparison to the S550.

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
Have you looked under a 2015 Mustang and evaluated how much steel is under there vs how much of that is aluminum in the Gen 6 Camaro? Answer: the majority of the Camaro is either aluminum or very thin steel, vs mostly steel with the Mustang.

The Camaro went from a heavy, sedan based platform (Zeta) down to a brand new, lighter platform (Alpha). The Mustang went from an already *very light* coupe platform in the S197 to an *even lighter* and more rigid platform in the S550.

The Mustang has the bracing for the convertible and GT350 built into it from the start, the Camaro uses bolt on bracing for the convertible or HiPo models.

You can't get all worked up about "the Camaro lost weight, period" without explaining HOW it lost more weight in comparison to the S550.
This is why the Camro is most expensive too. Using more expensive materials, makes for a more expensive cars. Who would have thunk it haha. But seriously the wright between the two is very negligible now. They're so similar. The real advantage is the alpha, LT1 and A8 in the Camaro, though I do think that Ford will up the power and provide a better trans shortly.
Sponsored