Can't find good ground in trunk mustang 2017

OP
OP

g3lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang EcoBoost PP
Hmm thank you for the info. Trying to find a solution for 2 ohm load. I was told the amp is more than capabale of handling this 1 sub. :/
Sponsored

SQ_S550

rollin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I'm just wanting to eliminate the amplifier as the issue first. If it still does it swap to the other coil. if it still has the same issues then the amp is the issue.

OP
OP

g3lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh ok could you elaborate on how to swap coils? Also, it's safe to put 8 ohms load? Manual says 2 or 4?

SQ_S550

rollin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
It will have no problem running 8 ohm, it will divide the power by half and the amp will run much cooler.
tmp_20195-Screenshot_20170408-2252422009579349.jpg

OP
OP

g3lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see. And if I hook up the opposite +/- afterwords, that would be the other coil?

So if it works with both, does that signal amp issue?

Sponsored

SQ_S550

rollin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Correct, since to have a mono amplifier if you joked up the + & - to the amp again you would be back to both coils and 2 ohm.

OP
OP

g3lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi so I tested a drive I usually go for and it fails by the time I arrive with one of the coils as described. Although it sounds weaker, I tried to boost the knobs on the LC2i and it doesn't seem to go into protection. I switched the coil to the other and will report back on my drive back home.

Any thoughts thus far?

OP
OP

g3lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok so tested both coils independently and both seem to work. Once both coils are wired to work together. Goes into protection after some time. What next?

SQ_S550

rollin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Sounds like your amp and woofer are both fine. How hot is the amplifier getting when it goes onto protect? Try driving with the seats down to get some airflow into the trunk.

With the amplifier operational and the coils on the woofer operational I would be looking into heat next. Of course at 2ohm the amp will heat up, that would also cause it to go into protect. Does the amplifier ever come back on over time without cycling the ignition?

OP
OP

g3lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tried the amp with seats down, so much air flow, never gets hot when it goes into protect. It's as cool as a cucumber. Amp does not go back on without cycling power from what I noticed. Maybe gains set to high? I mean all I did was set the gain ever so slightly. If I turn it down, the bass is super low. So I don't think it's that.

Sponsored
OP
OP

g3lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any other ideas?

Alpine is insisting that my box is too small causing a short when the coils are moving without enough space. I contacted the manufacturer who custom built my box and he said that it is not possible. He built 10 of these boxes wit same set-up no issues. He mentioned my box is 0.70 cu ft.

:/

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Hard to short coils because of a small box. The reason that COULD happen is because there'd be more heat in the smaller air space. But I highly doubt that...

OP
OP

g3lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What else could I do to fix the issue? Wiring set up check, box check, speaker and amp check?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Can double the grounding points with more wire and see if that changes anything. If it doesn't swap the amp. If you're using aluminum wire, switch to copper.

OP
OP

g3lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Copper wires. I'm hoping it's just the amp. Since I'm planning on swapping amp and woofer. If that doesn't fix it, does that mean the car doesn't support it? Lol
Sponsored