Sponsored

Camaro Watch: Revealed Early

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
So if you go to the Chevy twitter account they are posting 'Stay tuned for the big reveal tomorrow'...I had to sadly tell them their car was already revealed on CNBC and to surf the social media/web.
Sponsored

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
Mine still looks better!:D

Socalmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium w/PP Race Red
when its all said and done, we will be left this with this conclusion;

Mustang>Camaro

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
What's interesting is Chevy has a completely new V6 engine...why do they see a need still for this power plant and Ford has completely written it off?

Chevy now has a new V6 plus it will have premium options. That's a big selling point.

Not like I'm buying a V6 Camaro but that will be a selling point for those that don't want a 4 cylinder in a Pony/Muscle car and could pull sales from the Mustang. I could see Chevy doing the exact swap with their 4 cylinder and make it only have the basic options (plus leather still since they offer that now).

Many will be like "4 cylinder with 93 gas and turbo sound vs a V6 with 87 gas and V6 rumble/sound...same HP, but premium options on the V6...I'll go Chevy Camaro"

Sponsored

H1 GT

Crew Chief
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
15 4C, 97 H1
Reading a lot on their forums, I see the one way this may make big sales.

It was mentioned that all the Camaro has to do is beat the current Mustang and Challenger in head to head tests and the Camaro name will be plastered all over the media. Which is true. They've already got a couple media outlets bought out, so that will probably be easy for them.

It does seem like a lot of die-hards are somewhat disappointed, though. It probably won't be hard for them to win in the numbers/performance game, either, being that the competition has already been out for a while...

Whatever, I was getting nervous that I'd regret buying my Mustang. Not any more.

I'm sure I will hear tons of jokes about how it's better than the Mustang, hopefully I'll just stay way ahead with the mods.

Oh yea, then there was the argument to look at it objectively - look at whats underneath. Well, if I wanted to build a fast "racecar," I'd buy something used/older and mod the hell out of it. Hell, I'd buy a brand new Miata and mod it to destroy the new Camaro and still look better doing it.

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
Q: Why would you offer a four-cylinder in the Camaro? Didn’t you learn your lesson with the Iron Duke?

A: With the Gen2 Camaro, we learned buyers are not willing to sacrifice performance for fuel economy. As such, the new Camaro 2.0L Turbo is impressive performance: The 2.0L Turbo delivers 270 horsepower – which is more than any V-8 offered from 1971 to 1995 – and it’s paired with a lighter, more nimble chassis that makes the Camaro exceptionally fun-to-drive.
When you're comparing yourself to a malaise-era v-8, you know the bar is pretty low. :lol:

plateofshrimp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dgghdgxktsif
Fans were expecting a redesign like the Mustang, so they are understandably upset. It's still a kickass car under the skin, but, it's a whole new platform isn't it? Doesn't that mean they went through a lot of trouble to make it look like the last generation? If it's all new underneath, why not redesign the sheet metal?

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
The front looks pretty good. Back...not so much.

lltrigg3rzonell

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium | Race Red

This is what the hood reminds me off... lol

Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I think the thing they got right was slotting the 4 cylinder as the entry model and making the V6 the mid.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Fans were expecting a redesign like the Mustang, so they are understandably upset. It's still a kickass car under the skin, but, it's a whole new platform isn't it? Doesn't that mean they went through a lot of trouble to make it look like the last generation? If it's all new underneath, why not redesign the sheet metal?
My guess is they thought the '15 design was pretty revolutionary and didn't want to stray too far from that success....where the '10-14' Mustang really didn't sell well vs the Camaro so Ford had to take a much bigger risk which in the end worked out for them. I would have never considered a Mustang till the '15 and now I'm ordering a '16 this weekend...

Now the hard part...Magnetic with Blackout package or Ingot with 19' Dark Aluminum...decisions decisions.

Degen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
So dissapointed in the 16 design. Thought it was going to be more curvy and have a new modern look. This is bleh.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
From Jalopnik

Technology
• All-new Driver Mode Control, which tailors up to eight vehicle attributes – from the dual-mode exhaust to throttle progression
• Magnetic Ride Control suspension, which is offered on the Camaro SS for the first time
• Segment-exclusive, Interior Spectrum Lighting that offers 24 different ambient lighting settings – and offers a “car show” mode
• High-definition, configurable color displays – including available dual 8-inch screens
• Available wireless phone charging and next-generation Chevrolet MyLink with new smartphone projection

Performance
• GM’s award-winning Alpha architecture enables a more nimble, responsive driving experience
o The new Camaro is at least 200 pounds lighter than previous model
o Although based on Alpha, 70 percent of the components are unique to Camaro
• The most powerful Camaro SS ever
o 6.2L LT1with estimated at 440 horsepower and 450 lb-ft of torque
• All-new 3.6L V-6 featuring direct injection, continuously variable valve timing and –for the first time – Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation)
o Estimated 330 horsepower and 275 lb-ft of torque
• Most efficient Camaro ever, delivering more than 30 MPG highway
o New 2.0L Turbo with an estimated 270 hp and 290 lb-ft
• Handling and performance for the Camaro SS approaches that of the fifth-generation models’ track-capable Camaro 1LE package

Design
• More athletic-looking, sculptured exterior that complements the tighter, leaner architecture
• Aerodynamically optimized design is the result of 350 hours of wind tunnel testing – with reduced drag on LT models and 30 percent improvement in lift downforce on SS
• All-new, driver-focused interior with intuitive controls, flat-bottom steering wheel, and high quality materials throughout
• Unique control rings around the air vents used for temperature and fan speed adjustments, eliminating the need for conventional buttons

Expected questions:

Q: When will the new Camaro: start production / go on sale / arrive at dealers?
A: We are not ready to discuss specific timing, but can tell you we expect the first Camaros to arrive at dealers by the end of 2015.

Q: How much will the Camaro cost? Will it be more/less than the current Camaro?
A: We are not ready to announce pricing. I can tell you the current Camaro ranges from $23,000 to $43,000 and we expect the new Camaro will have a similar range.

Q: Why is the Alpha-based Camaro “only” 200 pounds lighter that the old Camaro? The fifth-gen was so heavy, it should have been 500 pounds lighter.
A: A 200 pound savings is actually quite remarkable: The Alpha-architecture is very mass-efficient, however the exterior dimensions of the new Camaro are within 2 inches of the predecessor. The team looked for every opportunity to save mass –from increased use of aluminum to shortening the suspension bolts to save a few grams. The result can be immediately felt behind the wheel – as the new Camaro feels incredibly light, agile, and fun to drive.

Q: How fast will the 2.0L Turbo/V-6/V8 be 0-60/ÂĽ-mile/top speed/Lap times?
A: It is too soon to discuss specific performance numbers, as we are currently finalizing the tuning and calibration of the new car. All I can tell you is the new 2016 Camaro SS is already posting better lap times than the 2015 Camaro 1LE.

Q: When will theZ/28 / ZL1 / 1LE arrive?
A: We are not ready to discuss products beyond 2016 model year for competitive reasons. However, I can tell you we plan to introduce new models and special editions at least every year.

Q: Why would you offer a four-cylinder in the Camaro? Didn’t you learn your lesson with the Iron Duke?
A: With the Gen2 Camaro, we learned buyers are not willing to sacrifice performance for fuel economy. As such, the new Camaro 2.0L Turbo is impressive performance: The 2.0L Turbo delivers 270 horsepower – which is more than any V-8 offered from 1971 to 1995 – and it’s paired with a lighter, more nimble chassis that makes the Camaro exceptionally fun-to-drive.

Q: Why are you offering the four-cylinder as your base engine, and V6 as an option, when Mustang offers the V-6 as their base, and their EcoBoost as an upgrade?
A: We felt 4-6-8 was a more logical progression for customers as they look for the balance of performance and efficiency that fits their needs. It’s important to note that Mustang positions their V-6 as a low-volume, low-feature model. To get a well-optioned car, Ford forces you to upgrade to the EcoBoost. We are taking adifferent tact, allowing customers to build a well-equipped Camaro with their choice of engines.

Q : Why didn’t you fix the rearward visibility for the next-gen ? That was the single biggest complaint for the Gen 5.
A: We talked to many Gen 5 customers about the visibility, and they made it clear they were not willing to accept changing the appearance of the Camaro’s iconic silhouette for the sake or rear visibility. We are using increased levels of technology to help with visibility, including a standard back up camera on all models, and available rear sonar.
I completely agree with the 2nd to last question. They are taking the right approach to the engine order and allowing the owner/customer to pick their engine THEN options.
Sponsored